moderated web page to try in Chrome

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

I tried to read this article in Chrome using both JAWS and NVDA, to no avail. None of the article text is visible. Then I tried in Firefox with JAWS and could read it. I’ve made various alterations to Chrome, adding extensions and the like, and I would like to make sure that I have not somehow rendered the browser less useful, though I don’t quite see how I could have done so. I’d like to know if anybody else can read this in Chrome:

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/top-google-chrome-extensions-2019-edition/

Glenn / Lenny

Hi,
The first thing I had to do on going to that page was to press escape to close the pop-up.
I don't know if I would call it an article, it just lists a few add-ons that are available.
Here's what I copied.  I was using Chrome.
Glenn

Get more done in 2019 with these free privacy and productivity extensions for Google Chrome

Get more done in 2019 with this selection of extensions hand-picked from the Chrome Web Store. These extensions allow you to do a variety of things, from taking screenshots and recording video, carry out time management, securing your browser, keeping your passwords safe, taking control of your tabs (and freeing precious RAM!), securing your connection, do more with Gmail, extract the text out of images, and much more.

All these extensions are free and are available to download from the Chrome Web Store.

I tried to read this article in Chrome using both JAWS and NVDA, to no avail. None of the article text is visible. Then I tried in Firefox with JAWS and could read it. I’ve made various alterations to Chrome, adding extensions and the like, and I would like to make sure that I have not somehow rendered the browser less useful, though I don’t quite see how I could have done so. I’d like to know if anybody else can read this in Chrome:

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/top-google-chrome-extensions-2019-edition/

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

OK, then, there are actually 50 extensions discussed, each with its own link, but one does not seem to see any of this with Chrome.  Good object lesson!

The first thing I had to do on going to that page was to press escape to close the pop-up.

I don't know if I would call it an article, it just lists a few add-ons that are available.

Here's what I copied.  I was using Chrome.

Glenn

Get more done in 2019 with these free privacy and productivity extensions for Google Chrome

Get more done in 2019 with this selection of extensions hand-picked from the Chrome Web Store. These extensions allow you to do a variety of things, from taking screenshots and recording video, carry out time management, securing your browser, keeping your passwords safe, taking control of your tabs (and freeing precious RAM!), securing your connection, do more with Gmail, extract the text out of images, and much more.

All these extensions are free and are available to download from the Chrome Web Store.

Published: January 2, 2019 -- 15:40 GMT (07:40 PST)

Caption by: Adrian Kingsley-Hughes

1 of 56NEXT

I tried to read this article in Chrome using both JAWS and NVDA, to no avail. None of the article text is visible. Then I tried in Firefox with JAWS and could read it. I’ve made various alterations to Chrome, adding extensions and the like, and I would like to make sure that I have not somehow rendered the browser less useful, though I don’t quite see how I could have done so. I’d like to know if anybody else can read this in Chrome:

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/top-google-chrome-extensions-2019-edition/

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 08:30 PM 9/9/2019, Dean Martineau wrote:
I tried to read this article in Chrome using both JAWS and NVDA, to no
avail. None of the article text is visible. Then I tried in Firefox with
JAWS and could read it. I've made various alterations to Chrome, adding
extensions and the like, and I would like to make sure that I have not
somehow rendered the browser less useful, though I don't quite see how I
could have done so. I'd like to know if anybody else can read this in
Chrome:
Using the latest Windows 10 insider build and Google Chrome Canary, I can definitely read the article; it's a blurb about Chrome extensions.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Tim Ford

I was able to bring up the page and read the article.  I am using JAWS 2019.  The one thing that happened is there was a popup asking me if I wanted to allow something.  I lost the something, but was able to find the “allow” button.  With that, the page loaded just fine.

Tim Ford

I tried to read this article in Chrome using both JAWS and NVDA, to no avail. None of the article text is visible. Then I tried in Firefox with JAWS and could read it. I’ve made various alterations to Chrome, adding extensions and the like, and I would like to make sure that I have not somehow rendered the browser less useful, though I don’t quite see how I could have done so. I’d like to know if anybody else can read this in Chrome:

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/top-google-chrome-extensions-2019-edition/

Marty Hutchings

I looked at this in Chrome and all I see is a list of adons with very little other text.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Monday, September 09, 2019 7:30 PM

I tried to read this article in Chrome using both JAWS and NVDA, to no avail. None of the article text is visible. Then I tried in Firefox with JAWS and could read it. I’ve made various alterations to Chrome, adding extensions and the like, and I would like to make sure that I have not somehow rendered the browser less useful, though I don’t quite see how I could have done so. I’d like to know if anybody else can read this in Chrome:

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/top-google-chrome-extensions-2019-edition/

The Allow and Block referred to whether  you allowed this website to use your location. If this pops up in future and you want to make sure what it says you can switch to the touch cursor and read this.

I was also able to read this both in Chrome and Edge Dev.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:38 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
The Allow and Block referred to whether  you allowed this website to use your location.
Just as an aside, it's also very often about whether you want to allow the site to be able to give you notifications or not.   And given the number of times, on multiple venues, I've had people complaining about "getting notifications I never asked for" (almost always traceable to a quick and thought-free "Yes" activation) it's important to actually read these pop-up dialogs and respond correctly based on what's being asked.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Randy Barnett

I get the same in IE, MS Edge Dev (Chromium based) and Firefox.

On 9/9/2019 5:30 PM, Dean Martineau wrote:

I tried to read this article in Chrome using both JAWS and NVDA, to no avail. None of the article text is visible. Then I tried in Firefox with JAWS and could read it. I’ve made various alterations to Chrome, adding extensions and the like, and I would like to make sure that I have not somehow rendered the browser less useful, though I don’t quite see how I could have done so. I’d like to know if anybody else can read this in Chrome:

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/top-google-chrome-extensions-2019-edition/

I  do not know what a screen reader normally encounters when they hit an "article as slide show" style article, but that's what the referenced article is.

Also, when I go in to the ZDNet site by activating that link the dialog box that pops up fro me, under Brave (also Chromium based), is asking whether I want to allow ZDNet to show notifications, with Block and Allow as the two options.

Although I can find several ways to move from item to item, then getting to the actual text you want to read is messy when you arrive on any one of them, as focus is still on the control that allows you to move.  This page is ill-designed from a number of aspects and accessibility is but one of them.

         ~ Eric Hoffer