moderated Windows Live Mail spell checker

Marty Hutchings

Is there a setting to get Spell Checker to only look at my message and not the whole thread?  I don't want to correct the entire universe, just what I wrote.

If you are asking if there is a setting to allow spell checker to ignore quoted material, then to my knowledge the answer is "no."

The first thing one should do in a compose window, if the bottom quoted material is not needed to retain context for the reply, is to delete it.  A CTRL+A followed by either the Delete key or backspace accomplishes this.   Then the only thing the spell checker has to check is what you've written.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

Many of the insights of the saint stem from his experience as a sinner.

~ Eric Hoffer

Glenn / Lenny

That is odd, in Outlook Express and Outlook, by default it ignores quoted text, that is, the stuff we are replying to.
But if someone goes into the spell settings in these programs, you could inadvertently turn it on, because as you tab through, the first part is what to check, and before  you know it, you are in the part  for what to ignore, and you could change that to the behavior that we typically don't want.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2019 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: Windows Live Mail spell checker

If you are asking if there is a setting to allow spell checker to ignore quoted material, then to my knowledge the answer is "no."

The first thing one should do in a compose window, if the bottom quoted material is not needed to retain context for the reply, is to delete it.  A CTRL+A followed by either the Delete key or backspace accomplishes this.   Then the only thing the spell checker has to check is what you've written.
--

~ Eric Hoffer

Feliciano G

Hi,

Not sure if this will work for Windows Live mail, but give it a shot.

Select the text you have typed. Then, run the spell check.

On Outlook, this will only check for grammatical errors for the selected text.

Feliciano

For Tech tips and updates from a Blindness Perspective,

Follow www.twitter.com/TheBlindMan12v

Like www.facebook.com/TheBlindMan12v

Follow www.instagram.com/theblindman12v

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Saturday, September 7, 2019 11:45 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Windows Live Mail spell checker

Is there a setting to get Spell Checker to only look at my message and not the whole thread?  I don't want to correct the entire universe, just what I wrote.

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 02:52 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
That is odd, in Outlook Express and Outlook, by default it ignores quoted text, that is, the stuff we are replying to.
It is entirely possible I am succumbing to "misty, watercolor memories" here, as I haven't routinely touched WLM in quite a while.

It's still best practice to delete any quoted material that's not relevant to the new material, and in a lot of exchanges that means everything, as active participants know instantly where the reply belongs in a topic thread because they've been reading it all along.

--

~ Eric Hoffer

Marty Hutchings

My box for checking reply or forwarded text is unchecked, but it still goes through it anyway.

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2019 1:53 PM

But if someone goes into the spell settings in these programs, you could inadvertently turn it on, because as you tab through, the first part is what to check, and before  you know it, you are in the part  for what to ignore, and you could change that to the behavior that we typically don't want.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2019 1:47 PM

The first thing one should do in a compose window, if the bottom quoted material is not needed to retain context for the reply, is to delete it.  A CTRL+A followed by either the Delete key or backspace accomplishes this.   Then the only thing the spell checker has to check is what you've written.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

~ Eric Hoffer

Mario

I think this also works in Thunderbird.

-------- Original Message --------
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, September 7, 2019, 2:58 PM
Subject: Windows Live Mail spell checker
Hi,

Not sure if this will work for Windows Live mail, but give it a shot.

Select the text you have typed. Then, run the spell check.

On Outlook, this will only check for grammatical errors for the selected
text.

Feliciano

For Tech tips and updates from a Blindness Perspective,

Follow www.twitter.com/TheBlindMan12v

Like www.facebook.com/TheBlindMan12v
<http://www.facebook.com/TheBlindMan12v>

Follow www.instagram.com/theblindman12v
<http://www.instagram.com/theblindman12v>

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Marty
Hutchings
*Sent:* Saturday, September 7, 2019 11:45 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Windows Live Mail spell checker

Is there a setting to get Spell Checker to only look at my message and
not the whole thread?  I don't want to correct the entire universe, just
what I wrote.

Marty,

Provided you're not using POP access, you might just consider uninstalling and reinstalling WLM 2012, as clearly the behavior you're seeing is not intended just based upon the settings available.

Should you wish to go that route, I archived the Windows Essentials 2012 installer on my Google Drive.  This was downloaded from Microsoft's site approximately one week before it was pulled at end of official support:   Windows Live Mail (Windows Essentials) 2012 (ZIP format)

--

~ Eric Hoffer