moderated access and jaws

jredlichspeaks@...

Hi,

I’ve heard that access 2007 is the latest version that works well with Jaws?  Is this true?  Is the accessibility problem in the inputting of data and reading the fields, or in designing your data base?

How does Access work with NBDA?

Does anyone use a data base that works well with Jaws?  If so, which one?

Thanks much.

Judy

Judy

Helping people tell their story and find their highest potential

Encounter show host, Tuesdays 1:30 p.m. KSIV Radio AM/FM St. Louis, MO

Let’s connect! JudyRedlich.com | linkedin.com/in/judy-redlich

JM Casey

Yeah, I don’t really know. I used Access a bit around 2002/03 and I’m prettys ure it was from Office 2000 or something. Well, I have it on my comptuer now courtesey of Office 2016, and it is completely different. I know it’s been a long time, but the programme see3med pretty easy to use previously – now I don’t seem to get much useful feedback and I really haven’t a clue. Granted, I only kind of poked at it vaguely. It’s sure nothing like what I remembered, though.

Sorry this reply isn’t too useful, but yeah, there may indeed be barriers that weren’t there previously.

I’ve heard that access 2007 is the latest version that works well with Jaws?  Is this true?  Is the accessibility problem in the inputting of data and reading the fields, or in designing your data base?

How does Access work with NBDA?

Does anyone use a data base that works well with Jaws?  If so, which one?

Thanks much.

Judy

Judy

Helping people tell their story and find their highest potential

Encounter show host, Tuesdays 1:30 p.m. KSIV Radio AM/FM St. Louis, MO

Let’s connect! JudyRedlich.com | linkedin.com/in/judy-redlich

Glenn / Lenny

You might need to keep an older copy of Jaws installed for that program.
I still use Office 2000, because it does all I need it to do, and Jaws 2019 does not work with Excel, but earlier versions do.
Glenn

I’ve heard that access 2007 is the latest version that works well with Jaws?  Is this true?  Is the accessibility problem in the inputting of data and reading the fields, or in designing your data base?

How does Access work with NBDA?

Does anyone use a data base that works well with Jaws?  If so, which one?

Thanks much.

Judy

Judy

Helping people tell their story and find their highest potential

Encounter show host, Tuesdays 1:30 p.m. KSIV Radio AM/FM St. Louis, MO

Let’s connect! JudyRedlich.com | linkedin.com/in/judy-redlich

I am sorry, Glen, but your statement that Jaws 2019 does not work with Excel is absolutely incorrect. I virtually live in Excel when I am working and I haven’t used anything but Jaws 2019 since it came out, in fact, well before then since I am on the Jaws Beta list.

[...]

You must have not read my message correctly.
I wrote that it does not work with Excel 2000.
Are you using Office 2000 as well?
Glenn

[...]

Tom Lange

Hi,
I use Jaws 2019 with Excel in Office 2016 at work every day and have no major issues. I don’t mess around with charts, graphs, et cetera, just routine data entry, and it works fine.
Tom

On Sep 5, 2019, at 10:03 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Turner

I’m not sure exactly why Excel was brought into this thread, but the original question was about Microsoft Access Database.  Yes, Jaws 2019 works fine with Excel, but here is the original question again.

Hi,

I’ve heard that access 2007 is the latest version that works well with Jaws?  Is this true?  Is the accessibility problem in the inputting of data and reading the fields, or in designing your data base?

How does Access work with NBDA?

Does anyone use a data base that works well with Jaws?  If so, which one?

Thanks much.

Judy

If folks want to debate Excel, please start a new thread?

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

You might need to keep an older copy of Jaws installed for that program.

I still use Office 2000, because it does all I need it to do, and Jaws 2019 does not work with Excel, but earlier versions do.

Glenn

I’ve heard that access 2007 is the latest version that works well with Jaws?  Is this true?  Is the accessibility problem in the inputting of data and reading the fields, or in designing your data base?

How does Access work with NBDA?

Does anyone use a data base that works well with Jaws?  If so, which one?

Thanks much.

Judy

Judy

Helping people tell their story and find their highest potential

Encounter show host, Tuesdays 1:30 p.m. KSIV Radio AM/FM St. Louis, MO

Let’s connect! JudyRedlich.com | linkedin.com/in/judy-redlich

Feliciano G

Glen,
If you don’t mind sharing, what issues were you having with Office 2000 excel with the  newer version of Jaws?

Feliciano
For tech tips and updates:
Follow www.instagram/TheBlindMan12v
those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do. -Steve Jobs

On Sep 6, 2019, at 6:29 AM, Tom Lange <lange85@...> wrote:

[...]

The question was about an older version of Access, which is an Office product, so affectively, the original question is about Office 2007 with Jaws 2019.
My point was that I use Office 2000, including Excel from that package, and I have to drop back to an older version of Jaws to make it work.
I suspect that Office 2007 is more like 2000 than later versions of Office, no matter which of the Office tools involved.
Other responders on the list don't seem to be responding to the Office 2007 aspect of the original question.
Glenn

[...]

Jaws does not read anything but the top line, like it's stuck.
I can open Libra Office Calc and no such issues with Jaws 2019.
Or I can close Jaws 2019 and open 2018 and MS Excel works fine.
Glenn

[...]

I think you are still missing the point, but Office 2007 was the first version that began using the .docx and xlsx, file extensions.

You would be better off comparing to Office 2003.

But, either way, no one has answered Judy’s question about Access or other databases.

I’m not a moderator, so feel free to ignore me.  But, it would be nice if the subject line reflected the content of the messages.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

[...]

Richard,
I offered the solution of using Jaws 2018, because my proof of concept is that Jaws 2018 works with older Office where 2019 does not.
So that was the solution, and FS needs to change Jaws to work with older versions, which they won't do.
If someone has Jaws 2019, that key should authorize 2018, and if 2018 works for Office 2007, there lies the problem and solution.
Glenn

You might need to keep an older copy of Jaws installed for that program.

I still use Office 2000, because it does all I need it to do, and Jaws 2019 does not work with Excel, but earlier versions do.

Glenn

I’ve heard that access 2007 is the latest version that works well with Jaws?  Is this true?  Is the accessibility problem in the inputting of data and reading the fields, or in designing your data base?

How does Access work with NBDA?

Does anyone use a data base that works well with Jaws?  If so, which one?

Thanks much.

Judy

Judy

Helping people tell their story and find their highest potential

Encounter show host, Tuesdays 1:30 p.m. KSIV Radio AM/FM St. Louis, MO

Let’s connect! JudyRedlich.com | linkedin.com/in/judy-redlich

Hi Glen,

I fail to grasp why you expect Vispero to support versions of Office which have long been unsupported with their latest Jaws version? They have their hands full keeping up with all the changes which Microsoft made in Windows 10 and newer versions of Office with respect to screenreader access and trying to support something like Office 2000 would be an entirely inappropriate waste of their time.

I did misunderstand what you said thinking you meant Jaws 2019 did not work with new versions of Excel which it does perfectly well. It is of course up to you if you want to use Office 2000 or 2003 or if people still feel they need to use Windows XP simply because they are afraid to learn something new, but Vispero certainly does not need to support operating systems and software which is no longer supported by Microsoft for the last 10 years or more. Even Office 2007 and 2010 count among those, Office 2013 which is already a lot more like Office 2016 is probably still supported, but even Windows 7 will soon be at the end of its life (can’t remember the exact date I think next year) and Vispero’s efforts right now are very much focused on the future which is Windows 10 and Office 365 and the new deep level hooking which replaces the old accessibility display driver since that technology no longer gets all the information from Windows 10 it needs. This is a big reason why in Windows 10 the Jaws cursor often cannot see/read anything, but there are some improvements in later builds of Jaws 2019 and in Jaws 2020 we should expect some pretty significant improvements in that area which will be fantastic.

I don’t understand why you feel you need the latest version of Jaws when on the other hand you are using a version of Office which is 6 versions old and which was released almost 20 years ago. You already suggested the solution which is to use an older version of Jaws and since any number of Jaws versions can live together on the same PC you can simply use Jaws 2018 or Jaws 18 for your ancient Office version and if you want the best web browsing experience load up Jaws 2019 and use it with Chrome or the new Edge Beta.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

There are lots of programs other than Microsoft that require the latest in screen access, such as browsers and audio programs, to name a couple, so that is why we all should have the latest, but we all cannot afford it.
So I think that you misunderstand that as well.
I believe that if the latest NVDA can work with older versions of MS products, and older Jaws can work, then there is no reason for the later Jaws to not keep on working with older Microsoft software that it used to work with.
Glenn

[...]

Cristóbal

Come on stop. Office 2000 is approaching 20 years old.

Are you telling me that your PC or whatever other equipment you’re using is also that old.

No one’s dismissing the prohibitive cost of technology, software or the constrained budgets the majority of the blind community has to deal with, but this comes off as a totally disingenuous and specious argument.

There are countless ways to obtain a more current version of office. Some I and others have brought up on this and other lists.

I don’t think I’ve paid more than $10 for a stand alone office 2016 license. These can be had on eBay for this and much cheaper. It’s completely legitimate and above board too. Has to do with some EU regulations and the deprecating of computers. It’s also been brought up many times the office 365 subscription model.

I haven’t bothered looking into it, but I’m sure office 2013 or even 2010 licenses can be had for even cheaper.

At this point, if anyone’s still running and depending on office 2000, it’s because they want to. Not because they have to.

[...]

Hey come on,
I own two licenses for Office 2019, but I used Office at work, and I hate it.
I like the Office 2000, it does what I need it to do, and there is no reason for me to pollute my computer with the latest and fakest.
I do use Libra Office, which is free, and does not force a new learning curve.
Glenn

[...]

As you stated, you use it by choice but one thing is for sure, there will come a time when it simply won’t work any more. I actually think Office 98 was better than 2000 so why not go back to it? Oh, right, it won’t run on a Windows 10 PC.

[...]

I had installed 2000 on a client's computer for him, on his Win 10 computer, and he was getting along great for what he needed it for, and then Microsoft uninstalled it with an update.
That is a shame on Microsoft.
Glenn

[...]

Hi Glen, can you please stop complaining about Microsoft and Jaws doing all this horrible stuff with almost 20-year old unsupported software? What you choose to do is your choice, but the fact is that Office 2000 has been unsupported for a long time. I would even go so far as to say that if it is your job to set people up with accessible computer systems it is completely irresponsible to even install such software on their new Windows 10 compuers.

[...]

One might also say that by installing a nearly 20 year old software version that has long been abandoned and has God knows how many security vulnerabilities and limitations as this point on a modern machine is doing a major disservice to their client.