moderated Which Browser Works Best With JAWS?

Rick Miller

Dear Listers:

I have recently upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Whenever I visit any web site now, I am being told that soon the site will no longer be used with Internet Explorer, which I have always used as my Internet Browser, and I am being told to upgrade my browser to either Google Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.  My question is this—which one of these three browsers works best with JAWS 2019?  I have the latest version and the latest update to JAWS 2019.  I’m sure there are many of you out there who might have encountered this same thing, and who can perhaps tell me which browser works best with JAWS.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Rick Miller

James Homuth

I switched to Chrome ages ago and wouldn’t go back if you paid me. I still keep IE around because some of the websites I use at work don’t play nice with anything else, but for anything that matters, it’s Chrome, Firefox if something trips out, or IE if there’s something they haven’t quite figured out how to properly read/interact with in Chrome yet.

I have recently upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Whenever I visit any web site now, I am being told that soon the site will no longer be used with Internet Explorer, which I have always used as my Internet Browser, and I am being told to upgrade my browser to either Google Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.  My question is this—which one of these three browsers works best with JAWS 2019?  I have the latest version and the latest update to JAWS 2019.  I’m sure there are many of you out there who might have encountered this same thing, and who can perhaps tell me which browser works best with JAWS.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Rick Miller

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

When the new version of Microsoft Edge is officially released, I expect it will be at least as good as Chrome.  Right now, Edge is being replaced by a new version, so I wouldn’t use it. I agree with Chrome, and haven’t had good luck with FireFox but haven’t given it much of a chance. Chrome just pretty much works.

Dean

I have recently upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Whenever I visit any web site now, I am being told that soon the site will no longer be used with Internet Explorer, which I have always used as my Internet Browser, and I am being told to upgrade my browser to either Google Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.  My question is this—which one of these three browsers works best with JAWS 2019?  I have the latest version and the latest update to JAWS 2019.  I’m sure there are many of you out there who might have encountered this same thing, and who can perhaps tell me which browser works best with JAWS.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Rick Miller

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

It doesn’t hurt to mention that FS will be holding a webinar on Chrome this Wednesday, September 5 at noon Eastern, then another one two weeks later.  Those webinars are recorded, so you don’t have to attend in person.  Meanwhile, my next book, Get Cracking with Chrome for Windows, is outlined. Some production would have happened by now, but I’m allowing the excuse of the possible impending hurricane to distract me.

Dean

I have recently upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Whenever I visit any web site now, I am being told that soon the site will no longer be used with Internet Explorer, which I have always used as my Internet Browser, and I am being told to upgrade my browser to either Google Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.  My question is this—which one of these three browsers works best with JAWS 2019?  I have the latest version and the latest update to JAWS 2019.  I’m sure there are many of you out there who might have encountered this same thing, and who can perhaps tell me which browser works best with JAWS.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Rick Miller

Chris Hill

Depends on what you mean by works best.  Chrome-based browsers seem to have fewer compatibility issues on webpages.  I prefer Brave myself, it blocks ads without you having to install anything.

As far as best access for menus and controlling the browser goes, though, Firefox wins hands down.

On 8/31/2019 08:04, Rick Miller wrote:

Dear Listers:

I have recently upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Whenever I visit any web site now, I am being told that soon the site will no longer be used with Internet Explorer, which I have always used as my Internet Browser, and I am being told to upgrade my browser to either Google Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.  My question is this—which one of these three browsers works best with JAWS 2019?  I have the latest version and the latest update to JAWS 2019.  I’m sure there are many of you out there who might have encountered this same thing, and who can perhaps tell me which browser works best with JAWS.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Rick Miller

David Csercsics

I like the new edge, but firefox murders it for customization. So if you’re the type that likes to tweak your browsing experience, firefox, otherwise the new edge dev is really stable, and I could recommend it. There’s also the edge beta channel. I tried Chrome for a bit when I had Android, but I find I don’t need the sync features anymore since I don’t really browse the web on mobile anyway, because I just don’t like touch screens that much, and I don’t need to be constantly signed into google services. But if you need google services extensively, then chrome is great. I haven’t found much that doesn’t work with Firefox, at least nothing that doesn’t work off the top of my head, so I wouldn’t worry too much about compatibility, but if you care about monopolies, or privacy or customization or keyboard shortcuts, then firefox is probably still winning for you. Hopefully this helps out a bit.

Leo

Hi,

in my opinion, chrome works better, I only use chrome and I'm also a jaws 2019 user and everything runs smoothly,

of course, now that you have jumped to windows 10 and a new web browser, what you cannot expect is to continue doing things exactly as you did before, adaptation is the key, Good luck!

Best,
   Leo.
On 8/31/2019 7:04 AM, Rick Miller wrote:

Dear Listers:

I have recently upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Whenever I visit any web site now, I am being told that soon the site will no longer be used with Internet Explorer, which I have always used as my Internet Browser, and I am being told to upgrade my browser to either Google Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.  My question is this—which one of these three browsers works best with JAWS 2019?  I have the latest version and the latest update to JAWS 2019.  I’m sure there are many of you out there who might have encountered this same thing, and who can perhaps tell me which browser works best with JAWS.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Rick Miller

john clayton

Hi there,
 Apologies at the OP for the slight highjacking of the thread, but is there an addon for crome which adds the classic click sounds as you navigate the webpages?
 I am stuck using firefox 55 due to my inability to upgrade from jaws 18, and the fact that I am quite used to firefox with the way I have it setup with my addons and the like.
 I understand that it is rather foolish and a security risk to do so but it can't be helped at this point.
 however I do play around with the latest version of crome, but as others have pointed out, its menu access and keyboard shortcut controls could be a lot better.
 I could probably switch to crome entirely if I could get it to make the navigation sounds as I navigate the webpages similar to IE 11 and firefox with the soundnav addon.
 Rather silly, I know but that is a faster indicator for me to understand if a page is done loading completely and after having used the sound for years now I have rather grown used to it, so going without it is a distraction that slows me down. XD.
Cheers

--
***
“The most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.”

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 09:04 AM, Rick Miller wrote:
My question is this—which one of these three browsers works best with JAWS 2019?
Chrome and Firefox definitely work well with screen readers.  The current version of Edge has never, in my opinion, "been ready for prime time" and not just in regard to screen reader accessibility, either.

The soon to be released Edge Dev works quite well with screen readers, as do most Chromium-based browsers.  Once it becomes the standard Edge in Windows 10 it will be right up there with Chrome.  If you want to try it out, activate the link I just gave and it will give you a save dialog for the Microsoft Edge Dev(elopment Version) installer.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Gerald Levy

Yes there is.  The extension is called Sound On Click:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sound-on-click/ejchjkneplcffgcopialnjofdhhggjik?hl=en

Gerald

On 8/31/2019 11:05 AM, john clayton wrote:
[...]

Mario

" I could probably switch to crome entirely if I could get it to make
the navigation sounds as I navigate the webpages similar to IE 11 ..."

the "chrome sound effects" extension adds some sounds for navigation.
once installed, (sounds strange) there needs to be one particular sound
to be enabled for the rest to play at the appropriate time.

for a sound for when a download has completed, there's the "download
sound" extension. there's one by the same name for Firefox.

I tried searchibng for the Soundnav extension for FF, but did find it.
can you direct me to it?

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 at 19:43, Lev <literophilus@myself.com
<mailto:literophilus@myself.com>> wrote:

Hi,

in my opinion, chrome works better, I only use chrome and I'm also a
jaws 2019 user and everything runs smoothly,

of course, now that you have jumped to windows 10 and a new web
browser, what you cannot expect is to continue doing things exactly
as you did before, adaptation is the key, Good luck!

Best,
Leo.

On 8/31/2019 7:04 AM, Rick Miller wrote:

Dear Listers:____

__ __

[...]

I found it doesn't work everytime.

[...]

JM Casey

I agree with most everything you’ve said, but I would just add that there isn’t really a universal answer to the OP. You should really have Chrome and Firefox on your system and use them both as needed. Really not enough difference in how you actually *operate* each browser to claim that there isa  disadvantage in having and using both of them.

I mostly use Firefox as well, but some sites do work better in Chrome. Youtube is *much* more responsive in Chrome on my Windows 10 machine, for instance, and yes, it’sa  google service, so I suppose that makes sense. Being signed in all the time is alright if you need to use the re-captcha thing. But therea re indeed privacy concerns that make me lean a little heavier on firefox, even though it is not quite as snappy and really takes forever to load very large pages into JAWS virtual buffer (not 100% sure that is the issue, but it’s definitely a pain).

Anyway, tldr: use both of them.