moderated Drag And Drop On A Web Page

Glenn / Lenny

Hi,
I'm trying to configure my router to prioritize devices connected, so my computer gets highest priority for speed.  It reads on the router web interface page to drag and drop items to move them between the normal and high priority sections.
Does anyone know how to drag and drop on a web page?
Thanks.

Glenn / Lenny

Hi,
I'm trying to configure my router to prioritize devices connected, so my computer gets highest priority for speed.  It reads on the router web interface page to drag and drop items to move them between the normal and high priority sections.
Does anyone know how to drag and drop on a web page?
Thanks.

If you look under the For Cursors and Mouse section of the JAWS Keyboard Shortcuts documentation, you'll find Drag and Drop there.

It's been ages since I last used it, but if memory serves, once something is selected it's a toggle where the initial activation starts the drag action and the second activation does the drop.  I also seem to recall that I needed to route the PC cursor to the JAWS cursor (Desktop:  INSERT+NumPad Plus, Laptop: CAPS LOCK+Apostrophe) so that the actual system focus is on the thing to be dragged before starting the process.  I could be wrong about that, though.

Desktop keystroke is CTRL+INSERT+NumPad Slash  and laptop is CAPS LOCK+Ctrl+8

I remember this being finicky, to say the least, and I cannot recall how JAWS tells you where you are in terms of where the drop would occur.  Playing around with it is going to be your best bet for eventually figuring out what must be done and in what sequence for a JAWS drag and drop to actually work.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Glenn / Lenny

I watched a video by Denise R. and it was only for the task bar icons, and she used laptop layout, which I too use, but I would prefer to have steps include desktop mode as well, since for things like routing cursors, I reach for the number pad.
I think it may differ on a web page as opposed to her demo of moving task bar icons.
Thanks for the info on where the keystrokes are listed.
Glenn

[...]

Drag and drop, at least via the mouse (which is how I use it), is drag and drop regardless of the locale in which the action is being used.  I cannot imagine this is any different for screen reader emulation of same.

But I do know from past experience that screen reader emulation of same is not necessarily consistent and takes a while to "get the hang of."   I have no idea whether you may have access to a sighted assistant, but it's often very handy to have someone with "eyes on" when you're first trying to get this to work so that they can confirm that the visual result is what is expected based on what you're trying to accomplish.   It also helps you to avoid a lot of experimentation where you can't be certain that things are working as expected (and where you can teach yourself what you don't want to reinforce).

I just remember that, when I can avoid it, I encourage my students to avoid drag and drop.  Sometimes you can't, but practicing how to do this is always more complicated and lengthy than a lot of other things related to screen reader use.

If anyone happens to know of a web page (or web pages) out there that's set up to allow someone to play with dragging and dropping those would be good to know about for practice purposes.   It's just not used all that often, and I don't have any that I can think of off the top of my head.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Glenn / Lenny

I have considered having someone read the screen for me, but the main computer I use is headless.
I have considered getting sighted assistance via TeamViewer for this particular task.
Too bad they don't just use a check box and a move-up and move-down button as I've seen before.
This just involves re-ordering the priority of data transfer between all the devices logged into my router.
Glenn

[...]

            I would be certain to submit feedback to your router manufacturer on this, too.  I am presuming the webpage is one of those used to control router settings, which are not webpages in the sense of "out on the web" but are HTML that's part of the firmware on the router.

            There are other ways to do this that are more accessible and even many sighted folks would prefer to drag and drop.

         ~ Eric Hoffer