Topics

moderated New computer specs

Andrew Diederick

Hello all.
Looking to purchase a new dell laptop computer. Here are the specs:
I9 processor
16 GB ram
256 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

I would like this computer to last me about six years. Are all of these specs acceptable for running JFW? Is there anything else that I should make certain a new laptop has for JFW use?
Appreciate any advise.

Thank you-
Andrew

Feliciano G

I suggest you upgrade to a 512 GB solid-state drive.

Feliciano
For tech tips and updates:
LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v
Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v
Follow www.instagram/TheBlindMan12v
those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do. -Steve Jobs

On Aug 24, 2019, at 9:21 PM, Andrew Diederick <andrew.diederick@...> wrote:

Hello all.
Looking to purchase a new dell laptop computer. Here are the specs:
I9 processor
16 GB ram
256 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

I would like this computer to last me about six years. Are all of these specs acceptable for running JFW? Is there anything else that I should make certain a new laptop has for JFW use?
Appreciate any advise.

Thank you-
Andrew

Moty Azrad

Andrew,

It is a very strong laptop.
By the way, what is the price of this one?
I do know that most users are using only I7 processor.
You write here about I9 processor.
I didn't see it yet.

Moti

Moti Azrad
Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Israel

Looking to purchase a new dell laptop computer. Here are the specs:
I9 processor
16 GB ram
256 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

I would like this computer to last me about six years. Are all of these
specs acceptable for running JFW? Is there anything else that I should make
certain a new laptop has for JFW use?
Appreciate any advise.

Thank you-
Andrew

Tyler Wood

Hi,
If I may make one huge suggestion.
If it is at all possible to bring that down to a core i7 or i5, you can save
yourself quite a chunk of money and upgrade the ssd with hardly any loss in
overall performance. Don't believe the marketing hype from Intel and other
manufacturers - the i9 is far too expensive to make it worth it.
The i9 processor is often times slower at single core performance (which is
what is done 99% of the time) than a comparably equipped i7 or i5 since it
produces tons more heat at those higher clock speed and most machines can't
handle that thermal envelope.
The i7 will last you 6 years - that in and of itself is a 6 core, 12 thread
monster of a processor that puts most older desktops to shame, let alone
laptops. Remember that most things, including jaws, use, for the most part,
one core (or thread, in this case). The i9 may have 8 cores and 16 threads,
but according to several sources even when it is maxed out, the i7 is
overall quicker simply because of either processor temperature reaching
maximum (100 C) or thermal designed power limit, 45 wats.
I just purchased a Lenovo thinkpad x1 extreme. It is beautifully,
blisteringly, wonderfully fast and is equipped with the i7-8750h. I could
have easily gotten the i5 and been happy. If you're looking for long term,
though, the i7 is a very nice compromise and will last you for years. The i9
is about 5-10% faster overall and simply is not worth the price. Jaws will
scream no matter which you choose and be ridiculously fast.

Sorry for the long message. I just wanted to make you aware. This may not
even effect you personally if you don't do much with the machine - but it's
certainly worth taking note of, especially with a high cost investment. I'd
like to see you get your moneys worth.

wrote:

Hello all.
Looking to purchase a new dell laptop computer. Here are the specs:
I9 processor
16 GB ram
256 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

I would like this computer to last me about six years. Are all of
these
specs acceptable for running JFW? Is there anything else that I should
make certain a new laptop has for JFW use?
Appreciate any advise.

Thank you-
Andrew

Tyler Wood

Hi,
The GPU does not free up the processor whatsoever and, in fact, is a
completely different animal than a processor.
The GPU in your machine may not, in fact, be used if you are getting 15
hours of batterylife. There is something called Optymous technology from
Nvidia that when used, allows the independent graphics card to power off
while the dedicated Intel HD graphics does its thing, and that sounds
exactly what is going on in your use case.
Few people seem to realize that shift f10 performs the exact same action as
applications key - and barring that, you can use sharp keys to remap a key
to the right of the space bar to that if you so choose.

Regarding the comment about an SSD not lasting long - I have a Toshiba
laptop here from 2012 that still has 85% of its life remaining. In that time
I have had 5 mechanical drives fail, without warning, and only 2 of which
made any actual noise to tell me so. These days if a laptop or computer in
general does not shut down, you will get a message popping up on screen from
your screen reader if you have it set to run at log on, telling you the
following programs are still running in the background and giving you the
option to shut down anyway or cancel. The benefits of a solid state drive to
batterylife and speed are so beyond amazing compared with a spinning
mechanical drive. Expect the machine to boot in less than 30 seconds
regardless what programs run at startup - add another 15 or 20, maybe, to
get said programs running. You can start using the machine as soon as the
screen reader is running, no more waiting to get to the desktop to check a
simple email or modify one line in a word document. Resuming from sleep
happens in less than 1.5 seconds these days.
Far more pluses than drawbacks, in my view.

Just my $.02!

wrote:

Hello all.
Looking to purchase a new dell laptop computer. Here are the specs:
I9 processor
16 GB ram
256 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

I would like this computer to last me about six years. Are all of
these
specs acceptable for running JFW? Is there anything else that I should
make certain a new laptop has for JFW use?
Appreciate any advise.

Thank you-
Andrew

Feliciano G

256GB is not all that much when you factor in OS/ software, files, media and back ups over a 6 year period. from devices.