Topics

moderated Jaws not seeing part of Mobile website

fritzdewit@...

Could someone out there please have a look at this website and give me your thoughts?

The ETS(Edmonton Transit System) has 2 web-based trip planning applications:
A "main" version and a "mobile" version.
I especially like the mobile version of this web application because it's just html-based -- no clutter & no fuss.
But, there's a problem
Maybe the best way to describe it is to walk you through it:

Let's suppose I want to go from my house to the airport.
I would point my browser to the "mobile" Trip Planner webpage:
http://m.etstripplanner.edmonton.ca/planyourtrip.aspx
The first thing it assks for is: Select trip start location
There's a combo bbox of 4 "Start location types" you can choose from.
Pick "Landmark".
In the associated Edit field, type in: lewis.
You should see a list of possible landmarks that contain the word: Lewis
From this list, pick "Lewis Farms Transit Station" and press "Enter".
The edit field should now contain this text.

Next, you have to Select the trip end location
Again, from the combo box list of available End location types, pick "Landmark"
In the associated edit field, type: airport
You will be shown a list of 8 possibilityes containing the word: airport
From this list, pick: Edmonton International Airport -- It's the fourth in this list.
Fill in the rest of the stuff on this page: just pick "reasonable" values.
Once everything is specified, go to the "Get Trip Plan" button and press Enter.

And now, this is where the problem happens:
The "Trip Suggestions" returned to me are not visible to Jaws.
A sighted viewer can pick them up, but Jaws does not.

Could someone out there please have a look at this,
offer an explanation as to what causes this,
and suggest a work-around fix?
I would REALLY appreciate it!
PS: The browser I use is Firefox.
In order to see if another browser might work better on this site,
I tried it with the MS Edge browser -- same thing.
So I think the issue is a Jaws issue.

Bill White

I don’t think it is so much a JAWS issue as a website coding issue. I think they have pictures or graphics as part of the trip suggestions. If the coding is left this way, I don’t think JAWS would ever have a way of displaying this information. You might try using INSERT plus SPACE, followed by O, then S, to see if the picture has any actual text within it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Could someone out there please have a look at this website and give me your thoughts?

The ETS(Edmonton Transit System) has 2 web-based trip planning applications:
A "main" version and a "mobile" version.
I especially like the mobile version of this web application because it's just html-based -- no clutter & no fuss.
But, there's a problem
Maybe the best way to describe it is to walk you through it:

Let's suppose I want to go from my house to the airport.
I would point my browser to the "mobile" Trip Planner webpage:
http://m.etstripplanner.edmonton.ca/planyourtrip.aspx
The first thing it assks for is: Select trip start location
There's a combo bbox of 4 "Start location types" you can choose from.
Pick "Landmark".
In the associated Edit field, type in: lewis.
You should see a list of possible landmarks that contain the word: Lewis
From this list, pick "Lewis Farms Transit Station" and press "Enter".
The edit field should now contain this text.

Next, you have to Select the trip end location
Again, from the combo box list of available End location types, pick "Landmark"
In the associated edit field, type: airport
You will be shown a list of 8 possibilityes containing the word: airport
From this list, pick: Edmonton International Airport -- It's the fourth in this list.
Fill in the rest of the stuff on this page: just pick "reasonable" values.
Once everything is specified, go to the "Get Trip Plan" button and press Enter.

And now, this is where the problem happens:
The "Trip Suggestions" returned to me are not visible to Jaws.
A sighted viewer can pick them up, but Jaws does not.

Could someone out there please have a look at this,
offer an explanation as to what causes this,
and suggest a work-around fix?
I would REALLY appreciate it!
PS: The browser I use is Firefox.
In order to see if another browser might work better on this site,
I tried it with the MS Edge browser -- same thing.
So I think the issue is a Jaws issue.

Bill White

Hi again, Fritz. I didn’t see my reply to you being sent out on the list, so I’m going to send it again.

[...]

From this list, pick "Lewis Farms Transit Station" and press "Enter".
The edit field should now contain this text.

Next, you have to Select the trip end location
Again, from the combo box list of available End location types, pick "Landmark"
In the associated edit field, type: airport
You will be shown a list of 8 possibilityes containing the word: airport
From this list, pick: Edmonton International Airport -- It's the fourth in this list.
Fill in the rest of the stuff on this page: just pick "reasonable" values.
Once everything is specified, go to the "Get Trip Plan" button and press Enter.

And now, this is where the problem happens:
The "Trip Suggestions" returned to me are not visible to Jaws.
A sighted viewer can pick them up, but Jaws does not.

Could someone out there please have a look at this,
offer an explanation as to what causes this,
and suggest a work-around fix?
I would REALLY appreciate it!
PS: The browser I use is Firefox.
In order to see if another browser might work better on this site,
I tried it with the MS Edge browser -- same thing.
So I think the issue is a Jaws issue.

If what you're saying is that the trip suggestions are not being read, then I have the same issue with NVDA.  The objects are there, I can see them, I could click them, but when I land on them I get either "Blank" for the first one or nothing at all for the second.

I just redid this again, using different times, and get the same behavior when I try tabbing through the results via the keyboard, but what's really weird is that if I have mouse tracking on, and am moving the mouse over these various trip plan options, the visible text is being read.  The first is always announced as Blank and the following items as dead silence.

I cannot even get a keyboard and screen reader based workaround to work, at least with conventional commands.

If JAWS has a script available that allows you to move the mouse over the screen, and mouse tracking is on, you should be able to hear those results read to you as the mouse pointer is hovering over each of the things that look like trip option buttons on that page, but definitely are not implemented as buttons.   It has been some months since I was last using JAWS actively, and do not know if a direct mouse movement via keyboard option is available or if tracking and announcement of what's under it are available, either.   But based on my NVDA experimentation that's the only way I can find to get all of the options to be read by the screen reader.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

JAWSKey+Space, O, S does work with JAWS to read the trip result.