Topics

moderated how does one join the new JAWS list

Gaylen Kapperman

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:31 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: The List

Hi Pastor,

Yes I am.

Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:21 AM

Subject: The List

Mike,

Are you a member of the new jaws list??

Pastor Gil

I honestly cannot believe that this question is being asked here.   You already know how to join a Groups.io group, send an e-mail message to their subscribe address.

The direct link to the new Jfw-Users group, jfw-users, has been posted, by me, already and also directions about how to search for any group you might want.  That group's addresses, like those of any Groups.io group, can be found immediately after the phrase "Group Email Addresses" on the home page.

If you are a member of any Groups.io group, you had ought to know how to do this already, but those are pretty much step-by-step instructions specific to that group above.  Doing searches is not rocket science and should be a basic skill.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Don H

OK I have to ask, what is wrong with this list? If I understand it the FS staff doesn't monitor any of the lists so why not just promote and use this list.

The direct link to the new Jfw-Users group, jfw-users <https://groups.io/g/jfw-users>, has been posted, by me, already and also directions about how to search for any group you might want.  That group's addresses, like those of any Groups.io group, can be found immediately after the phrase "Group Email Addresses" on the home page.
If you are a member of any Groups.io group, you had ought to know how to do this already, but those are pretty much step-by-step instructions specific to that group above.  Doing searches is not rocket science and should be a basic skill.
         ~ Eric Hoffer

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

I agree. As far as I know, JAWS discussion is the purpose of this list. How many lists are needed for the same subject?

<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.io%2Fg%2Fjfw-users&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cpamela.a.ekstrand.-nd%40disney.com%7Cc1ecba48d78b48b2d68a08d7272a49b4%7C56b731a8a2ac4c32bf6b616810e913c6%7C1%7C0%7C637020934884878849&amp;sdata=jrRGDIc4IY7fRnfKyqXvpMdStjxbSqrqxeByPNglq%2B0%3D&amp;reserved=0>, has been posted, by me, already and

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 01:58 PM, Don H wrote:
OK I have to ask, what is wrong with this list?
Nothing.   If I had my way it would simply become the single list on Groups.io for English-speaking users to seek assistance and information.   The amount of fragmentation in the blind technology arena is already too significant, in my opinion.

I will note that I was simply trying to answer the question as posed.   I would hope that "the refugees from the now defunct JAWS Users list" would find a home here rather than trying to re-create it, which will probably be a futile exercise if history is any indicator (and that's not a personal swipe at those who created it, but is based on what I've observed in situations such as this before).    Finding a new home among folks who already have a long established group covering the same territory simply makes the most sense.  And, without exception, I've found those groups that are "the surviving one(s)" welcome those displaced.

There's a part of me hoping that these very topics get closed, and closed very soon.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Tyler Wood

I might be behind here, however I’m also curious why the list is being migrated? This is the first I’ve heard of it. If not, what exactly is the issue with this list specifically to make this happen?

I honestly cannot believe that this question is being asked here.   You already know how to join a Groups.io group, send an e-mail message to their subscribe address.

The direct link to the new Jfw-Users group, jfw-users, has been posted, by me, already and also directions about how to search for any group you might want.  That group's addresses, like those of any Groups.io group, can be found immediately after the phrase "Group Email Addresses" on the home page.

If you are a member of any Groups.io group, you had ought to know how to do this already, but those are pretty much step-by-step instructions specific to that group above.  Doing searches is not rocket science and should be a basic skill.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Gerald Levy

To be perfectly blunt, the guy who started the competing JFW-Users list seems to have a compulsion for creating new lists. He has created dozens of lists which have started with a lot of activity only to eventually fizzle out.  I agree that one list devoted to JAWS is plenty sufficient, but this guy has a huge ego, and thinks his JFW-Users list will somehow be better.  Right now, it is little more than a shout out group with new members introducing themselves.  When I created my own Blind Hearing Aid Users email list last year, I put a quick end to this nonsense before it could get out of hand.

Gerald

On 8/22/2019 2:08 PM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND wrote:
[...]

Flor Lynch

Hi,

As far as we are concerned, this list is staying put. There’s another list (the jaws-users list) that closed two days ago, and a new one has been created to replace it. Those are the facts.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 02:16 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
This is the first I’ve heard of it. If not, what exactly is the issue with this list specifically to make this happen?
Tyler,

            You know that I like you, and we've had plenty of private exchanges by e-mail, but for the love of heaven please review the messages from this very list from the last few days!!

             This list, the JAWS for Windows Users Support List, is neither being migrated or going anywhere.   This is all the detritus of a competing group having been blown up by its owner, without warning, and the aftermath of same.

              Information, complete information, regarding the replacement list that sprung up, that I truly think should not have, has been supplied already for anyone who wishes to join "the replacement group."

              There is absolutely no need, let alone a pressing one, for a different JAWS Users Group for English speaking JAWS users on Groups.io.   This one is of longstanding, very active, and very welcoming.   It's more than sufficient, and it avoids fragmentation.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 02:21 PM, Flor Lynch wrote:
As far as we are concerned, this list is staying put.
Indeed.  And I have never, even once, stated or implied otherwise.  Quite the contrary, in fact, while still trying to clarify what is actually going on.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

cecropia64

amen to that.

On 8/22/2019 2:26 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Sorry. All I needed to know. I was browsing subjects, not content, which is my own fault.  I took ‘the list’ to mean this list and a question about subscribing, unsubscribing, etc, which happens quite often despite a footer at the bottom of every message pertaining to exactly that, so I ignored it.

Regardless I’ll be remaining here. No need for even more fragmentation.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 02:35 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
I was browsing subjects, not content, which is my own fault.
Apology accepted.  I was shocked because "this is not you," that's for sure.

There's a reason that I included a rule elsewhere (that shall remain nameless) that reads, "Use threaded or conversation view in your e-mail client program or webmail and read through the entirety of a topic before replying.  It gets you completely up to speed and avoids a lot of repetition.  If you choose not to use threaded/conversation view, please take the time to read through all messages from the group that are in your inbox prior to adding any reply to the group.  It’s the only way you can be sure you’re up to speed on any topic when not using threaded/conversation view."

That used to be basic netiquette, specifically for e-mailing lists, that went without saying.   Alas, it doesn't anymore.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

David & his pack of dogs

This is all the detritus of a competing group having been blown up by its owner, without warning, and the aftermath of same.  In reading posts from this list and the other one, I tend to agree.  It all sounds very petty and some have posted 10 times in one day. It reminded me of what a blind person told me year’s ago, “By enlarge most blind people do not have a life so all they do is post to groups.” When someone posts 10 times to the new group in one day, they give Creedence to that comment.

[...]

Richard Turner

You said, “This is all the detritus of a competing group having been blown up by its owner, without warning, and the aftermath of same.”

In fact, David had warned that he was going to take down the list if the behavior continued at least two times that I recall, but kept it going for the sake of those who needed it.

People pushed him over the edge.

I will not continue this thread.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

[...]

khalfan bin dhaher <khalfan.bindhaher@...>

I love this group and how everyone is active and kind to us. Hope this continues.
Regards.
Khalfan.

David & his pack of dogs

Here is an email being circulated widely. Hello Lists,

Michael Capelle recently started the jfw-users@groups.io list in response to
the closure of the jaws-users-list@groups.io list. I am the moderator of
this new list and am seeking new members in order to make it the best
resource possible for JAWS information.
I will do my best to keep topics on point while encouraging communication.
But we need as many JAWS savvy users as possible in order to have the best
knowledgebase. Hope to see you on the list.

Alan Lemly

Jessica D

Hi, How do I join?
I'm very sad to hear about the closure of the other jaws list.
Why did this happen?

Thanks,
Jessica

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2019, at 10:47 PM, David & his pack of dogs <myguidedogis@...> wrote:

Here is an email being circulated widely. Hello Lists,

Michael Capelle recently started the jfw-users@groups.io list in response to
the closure of the jaws-users-list@groups.io list. I am the moderator of
this new list and am seeking new members in order to make it the best
resource possible for JAWS information.
I will do my best to keep topics on point while encouraging communication.
But we need as many JAWS savvy users as possible in order to have the best
knowledgebase. Hope to see you on the list.

Alan Lemly

Hozefa Tambawala

Hi David,

Please share the subscription mail Id.

--
"Life is like a piano.
White keys are happy moments

Follow me on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/starhoze

Skype ID:
star.hoze

Warm Regards,
Hozefa...

David Moore

Hi Jessica!

The subscription address for Mike Capelle’s JAWS list is:

Jfw-users+subscribe@groups.io

David Faren closed his list all of a sudden, because he said that people were giving him a very hard time with threatening emails and the like!

His list was getting too strict!

The new list is so much better already!

Almost 200 people have subscribed already!

Take care, Jessica!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10