Topics

moderated The List

Pastor Gilbert Pries

I wonder if I can be approved since I was a member of the list before?

Pastor Gil

cecropia64

hi gil:

your emails are coming through just fine so i think it is a safe bet you are still here.? have a great day

stew

On 8/21/2019 7:59 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:

I wonder if I can be approved since I was a member of the list before?

Pastor Gil

Pastor Gilbert Pries

My emails are taking a very long time to get back to me which means I am not approved as yet.

Pastor Gil

cecropia64

well, if you weren't approved your emails shouldn't be getting posted and they are.? so go figure.

On 8/21/2019 8:12 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:

My emails are taking a very long time to get back to me which means I am not approved as yet.

Pastor Gil

cecropia64

on top of all that this list has been very quiet for a long time.? little going on

On 8/21/2019 8:12 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:

My emails are taking a very long time to get back to me which means I am not approved as yet.

Pastor Gil

Pastor Gilbert Pries

It was very active when I was a member before.

Pastor Gil

on top of all that this list has been very quiet for a long time.?
little going on

On 8/21/2019 8:12 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:

My emails are taking a very long time to get back to me which means I
am not approved as yet.

Pastor Gil

cecropia64

yes, i know.?? i have been a member for quite some time.?? but lately i haven't seen much going on.?? maybe it will pick up

On 8/21/2019 8:16 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
It was very active when I was a member before.

Pastor Gil

on top of all that this list has been very quiet for a long time.?
little going on

On 8/21/2019 8:12 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
My emails are taking a very long time to get back to me which means I
am not approved as yet.

Pastor Gil

Pastor Gilbert Pries

I hope so.

Pastor Gil

on top of all that this list has been very quiet for a long time.?
little going on

On 8/21/2019 8:12 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
My emails are taking a very long time to get back to me which means I
am not approved as yet.

Pastor Gil

Gerald Levy

Welll, now that the JAWS-Users list has been shut down, which happened abruptly and without warning last night, this list is likely to become even more active.

Gerald

to become even more

On 8/21/2019 8:16 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
It was very active when I was a member before.

Pastor Gil

on top of all that this list has been very quiet for a long time.?
little going on

On 8/21/2019 8:12 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
My emails are taking a very long time to get back to me which means I
am not approved as yet.

Pastor Gil

Pastor Gilbert Pries

Yes,
That was really a shocker.

Pastor Gil

on top of all that this list has been very quiet for a long time.?
little going on

On 8/21/2019 8:12 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
My emails are taking a very long time to get back to me which means I
am not approved as yet.

Pastor Gil

cecropia64

yeah, me too.

On 8/21/2019 8:20 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
I hope so.

Pastor Gil

on top of all that this list has been very quiet for a long time.?
little going on

On 8/21/2019 8:12 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
My emails are taking a very long time to get back to me which means I
am not approved as yet.

Pastor Gil

cecropia64

yes, that was a total shocker.?? i was thinking the same thing. folks are going to need a place to talk all things jaws.?? hope this is it.

stew

On 8/21/2019 8:24 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

Welll, now that the JAWS-Users list has been shut down, which happened abruptly and without warning last night, this list is likely to become even more active.

Gerald

to become even more

On 8/21/2019 8:16 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
It was very active when I was a member before.

Pastor Gil

on top of all that this list has been very quiet for a long time.?
little going on

On 8/21/2019 8:12 AM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
My emails are taking a very long time to get back to me which means I
am not approved as yet.

Pastor Gil

JM Casey

Yeah, it was pretty sudden. The main moderator (I think) said that it had been brewing for quite a while, but I really saw no evidence of poor behaviour at least in the public messages. Everyone has different standadrs, I guess.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 03:55 PM, JM Casey wrote:
The main moderator (I think) said that it had been brewing for quite a while
Not that I have any experience with that list, but I have plenty with lists in general.

It is a poor, poor list owner indeed that just shuts down a list unannounced.   It simply isn't done if you have any integrity at all.  The content created in lists and their archives may be "mechanically owned" by a list owner, but are actually owned by the membership.  It is always possible to permanently lock a list, and walk away, leaving the archive content accessible if there is no one who you'd care to hand it over to.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

JM Casey

I’m not always so good at “reading” peoples’ emotions twhom I don’t know in text, and I guess what came across as a bit of grumbling was actually some kinf of emotional distress. Don’t know what was going on behind the scenes or even if he tried to hand the list over to someone else. Perhaps there were no takers. That list existed for a very long time, too…

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 03:55 PM, JM Casey wrote:

The main moderator (I think) said that it had been brewing for quite a while

Not that I have any experience with that list, but I have plenty with lists in general.

It is a poor, poor list owner indeed that just shuts down a list unannounced.   It simply isn't done if you have any integrity at all.  The content created in lists and their archives may be "mechanically owned" by a list owner, but are actually owned by the membership.  It is always possible to permanently lock a list, and walk away, leaving the archive content accessible if there is no one who you'd care to hand it over to.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

JM,

          My central point being, if you want to walk away from list ownership, that's fine.  But you can do that without literally taking it offline.

          It's a simple matter to either lock the list and walk away if you want to encase the current content of the archive in amber and have it accessible for others (or at least members, if it was a private list) to search or to announce that you're walking away and the list is now unmoderated, making sure you throw open the permissions before you head out the door.

           Either of those is a more decent and reasonable thing to do than just closing up shop and blowing it up.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Maria Campbell

I'm not sure what list you are talking about, unless it's the JAWS users list of that same name.  I left it quite a while ago, because I was chastised for not being a passive follower of all things VFO.  The owner appeared to be on a power trip with a very heavy hand.  Too bad it's gone, but no surprise.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

On 8/21/2019 4:38 PM, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

yes maria.?? that is the same list.?? i guess i was just very surprised that this decision was made just like that without any regard to the folks who relied on the information they got from it.?? just very disappointed.?? glad this list is still here.?? not too many lists out there for jaws.

stew

--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit,??Version 1903, Build 18362

???????????????? ~ Eric Hoffer

JM Casey

I didn’t realise the archive was also gone. That’s pretty bad; there were years and years of data there.

          My central point being, if you want to walk away from list ownership, that's fine.  But you can do that without literally taking it offline.

          It's a simple matter to either lock the list and walk away if you want to encase the current content of the archive in amber and have it accessible for others (or at least members, if it was a private list) to search or to announce that you're walking away and the list is now unmoderated, making sure you throw open the permissions before you head out the door.

           Either of those is a more decent and reasonable thing to do than just closing up shop and blowing it up.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

cecropia64

yes.?? too bad there isn't a way when lists go belly up to maybe transfer the data so it doesn't just disappear for good.?? truly a loss

stew