Question about the Groups.io forum

I realize that we have people participating here via e-mail list and others, like myself, using the Groups.io website specific to this forum.  This would apply strictly to online forum access.

Is there any way to make threads show with messages in reverse chronological order - newest first?   As threads get longer and longer it becomes more and more tedious to work through the pages, and I generally am looking only for the last several contributions since I've read the earlier ones on threads I follow anyway.  This setting is available on many online forums, but I cannot seem to locate it here.  But the fact that I can't locate it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If there's a way to make the threads be presented with the newest messages first, working back to the oldest, I'd love to hear what that is.

Brian

Dave...

Brian,

If you're referring to the order of messages as they stack inside an ongoing message conversation, then they do get populated with the newest on top. Otherwise, the order of the messages in the folder or inbox is a function of the email client being used.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 07:44 PM
Subject: Question about the Groups.io forum

I realize that we have people participating here via e-mail list and others, like myself, using the Groups.io website specific to this forum.  This would apply strictly to online forum access.

Is there any way to make threads show with messages in reverse chronological order - newest first?   As threads get longer and longer it becomes more and more tedious to work through the pages, and I generally am looking only for the last several contributions since I've read the earlier ones on threads I follow anyway.  This setting is available on many online forums, but I cannot seem to locate it here.  But the fact that I can't locate it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If there's a way to make the threads be presented with the newest messages first, working back to the oldest, I'd love to hear what that is.

Brian

Dave,

Uh, they don't for me.  Your reply is directly below mine, not above mine, on the Groups.io site for the JFW forum.  That's newest on the bottom.  On threads that span several pages the newest message, as they display for me, is always on the last page, so I have to go to the bottom of the first page, move to the next page, go to the bottom of that page, move to the next page, lather rinse repeat.

If they're showing up newest first for you at least that gives me hope that there is a setting, somewhere, that I can set to make this happen for me.

Brian

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I like it the way it is - last on top. I probably would get off the list, if I had to wade through the threads to the latest one at the bottom or jump to the bottom and work up to the first of the last message.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 10:45 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Question about the Groups.io forum

I realize that we have people participating here via e-mail list and others, like myself, using the Groups.io website specific to this forum. This would apply strictly to online forum access.

Is there any way to make threads show with messages in reverse chronological order - newest first? As threads get longer and longer it becomes more and more tedious to work through the pages, and I generally am looking only for the last several contributions since I've read the earlier ones on threads I follow anyway. This setting is available on many online forums, but I cannot seem to locate it here. But the fact that I can't locate it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Brian

Found the solution to my own question, and have applied a dope slap to my forehead for having missed this for so long.

On both the thread view of the messages and an individual message thread itself there is a link at the upper right side of the screen just above the first item displayed that reads "Date" and that has a tiny up arrow or down arrow next to that word depending on how you toggle it.

As it turns out, the main view of the message threads as a group was set by default to display in reverse chronological/newest first order.  The view of the messages in a single thread was set by default to display in chronological order.  Simply clicking on that Date link to flip it to reverse chronological within a message thread gives me the messages from newest to oldest.

This forum is much easier to read when that's the case!

Brian

I wouldn't have mine any other way. Way too much trouble to work from the bottom up - it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2016 7:40 PM
Subject: Re: Question about the Groups.io forum

Found the solution to my own question, and have applied a dope slap to my forehead for having missed this for so long.

On both the thread view of the messages and an individual message thread itself there is a link at the upper right side of the screen just above the first item displayed that reads "Date" and that has a tiny up arrow or down arrow next to that word depending on how you toggle it.

As it turns out, the main view of the message threads as a group was set by default to display in reverse chronological/newest first order. The view of the messages in a single thread was set by default to display in chronological order. Simply clicking on that Date link to flip it to reverse chronological within a message thread gives me the messages from newest to oldest.

This forum is much easier to read when that's the case!

Brian

Carolyn,

The funny thing is I can't make that sort order stick for message threads.  I've submitted a help ticket to see what I need to do to make that arrangement permanent and to apply to all message threads.

Trust me, I've been having the, "It's just not worth it!!" moments at, well, moments.

Brian

I feel for you. It would drive me nuts. I'd be calling FS too and giving up e-mails for more than Lent, if I couldn't get that one resolved.

What is your e-mail client?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2016 9:29 PM

Carolyn,

The funny thing is I can't make that sort order stick for message threads. I've submitted a help ticket to see what I need to do to make that arrangement permanent and to apply to all message threads.

Trust me, I've been having the, "It's just not worth it!!" moments at, well, moments.

Brian

Brian, I happened to think that if your e-mail client is a Microsoft product, Outlook or Windows Live Mail, maybe Microsoft Disability, 1-800-936-5900 could help you.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2016 9:29 PM

Carolyn,

The funny thing is I can't make that sort order stick for message threads. I've submitted a help ticket to see what I need to do to make that arrangement permanent and to apply to all message threads.

Brian

Carolyn,

This isn't an e-mail issue, I'm talking about the actual presentation of these messages on the groups.io website.  While I get the digests several times a day I've never participated in the group via e-mail, but via the website.

Since this issue is utterly unconnected to JAWS or Freedom Scientific, I'll save my cage rattling with them for when it's needed, and it has been needed in the past!!

Brian