Topics

moderated Disk repair utility, usable with JAWS

Dave Durber

Hello Everyone:

I have a system running Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT, which I intend upgrading to Windows 10 when I get a new Motherboard for it. I have JAWS 2018 installed on it. In addition to the CD-DVD ROM, it has a 120 GB SSD, which is the system drive, and 2 1 TB Hdd Drives, which ar F and G.

Yesterday, when I started the system, I tried to log onto drive g. Windows reported a drive error. Of course, being Windows, the operating system did not tell me what type of error was affecting the drive, only that Windows could not access it.

I ran CMD, and in the DOS shell window, I used CHKDSK with the /f switch. CHKDSK, reported that it could not attempt to scan the drive because of a drive error and closed itself and returned me to the DOS Shell window.

My question is, is anyone on this list, using a good disk repair utility, which is accessible using JAWS
At present, I have no idea, as to whether the problem is with the partition, its format or the problem is with the files which hold the information about the data stored on the drive.

Any Suggestions please.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

John Covici

I would get smartmontools and see what it says about your drive.
Also, a great utility for disk repair is spinwrite at www.grc.com.

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 06:00:21 -0400,
Dave Durber wrote:

[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Gerald Levy

Spinwrite??? Are you serious??? My understanding is that Spinwrite does not work with versions of Windows higher than XP.?? Have you used it successfully with Windows 7 or 10?

Gerald

Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

I don't think you use it with Windows at all, but check the website
for more information.

Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

The GRC web site clearly refers to the latest version of Spinwrite as,, "Spinwrite 6.0 for Windows XP".?? It does not mention Windows 7, 8 or 10.?? Further research reveals that it has not been updated since 2010.?? So how could it work with a modern computer? On the contrary, it might actually do more harm than good.?? Running a program that has not been updated in almost ten years is just a bad idea.

Gerald

Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

Mario

it runs from a bootable CD/DVD or thumb drive off of FreeDOS, and cannot
do what it does while the drive is running Windows.

Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

6.1 and subsequently 6.2 or above is coming, but when, I haven't got a
clue. it's true it's been a while it hasn't been updated
, but there wasn't any need as there weren't any complaints of problems
in 6.0... according to Steve Gibson.

I wish there was a DOS screen reader I could use when Spinrite runs.
I recall Freedom Scientific had a link on their website for saving a
copy of JAWS For DOS, but it is no longer there. darn.

Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

.

Gerald Levy

If this is the case, then how can it be JAWS accessible??? Indeed, if there is no speech, how can you use this program in the first place without sighted help? The original inquirer specifically asked for a utility that is JAWS accessible.

Gerald

Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

For those complaining about SpinRite, it would help if you read the information at the site.   The low-level file systems used under Windows (and a number of other operating systems) have not changed in a very, very long time.   Thus, it's not necessary for software that examines, analyzes and fixes same to change, either.

The SpinRite page explicitly states:  " SpinRite is able to operate on all Windows XP NTFS formats, all DOS FAT, all Linux file systems, Novell, Macintosh (if temporarily moved into a PC) or anything else."   NTFS is NTFS as NTFS has always been.  The various FAT varieties as well.

Steve Gibson doesn't generally leave anything up on the Gibson Research site that isn't currently useful, even if not developed recently.   If he's still selling it, and he is, it's certain to still do what it was advertised as doing.

In any case, errors such as the one being described here always scream "failed or imminently failing" drive to me.   You may be able to get more information about what's wrong, which is useful to know just for one's own information, but it's unlikely to be fixable.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Gerald Levy

Again, I must ask, how is this program accessible with JAWS??? And if it is not accessible with JAWS or any other screen reader, how do you use it without sighted help? I suggest that you read the following article, which claims that Spinwrite is not what it's cracked up to be:

https://www.disktuna.com/spinrite-is-not-data-recovery-software/

Gerald

--

Brian??-??Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit,??Version 1903, Build 18362????

???????????????? ~ Eric Hoffer

Chris Hill

Hello.

If it were me, I'd find out who made the drive in question and get the manufacturer's diagnostic, no matter how well or poorly it works with speech.  That is the only way you are going to ever really be sure what you're dealing with,  If the hardware is okay, there may be a third party program to try to fix issues you are having, if the hardware isn't you're wasting your time.

CH

On 8/11/2019 10:42, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

SeaTools for Windows (and there is a bootable version, too) by Seagate is an excellent utility and can be used on any brand of drive.   If you do know your drive's manufacturer and they have a diagnostic utility, that's the best thing to use, but if they don't, SeaTools is a great fallback.  I cannot speak to its accessibility.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

JM Casey

I'm sure you can still find Jaws for Dos around, if you want/need it. The Talking Dos Box is one thing that is packaged with it. I haven't really played with this though. I originally got it so I could play Eamon Deluxe games (a qbasic port of the Eamon adventure system for Apple II), but it's just one of the many things I can't seem to be bothered to spend a lot of time fiddling with.

Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

Just a suggestion, but, if the programme is a command line utility, you could run it without speech, get it to generate a report file that you can look at later, then issue whatever repair commands the programme has available afterwards and, you know, cross your fingers. :D

Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

Hello John

Thank you for your suggestions. In addition, I would also like to thank others on this list for their suggestions.

It has beena week or 2 since I posed my original question.

Later that day, a friend came round and after I told him my problem, he said that he had the Ontrac data recovery software on his system. I took the drive out of the particular computer and, along with that hard drive, an additional USB hard drive and a USB 2.5/3.5 inch docking station we went to his house.

Please note: the latest version of the Ontrac Data Recovery software, is not accessible to any screen reading software. I tried it before my friend came to my house.

Once he had run the Ontrac software and performed a scan on the troublesome hard drive, to my enormous relief and enormous good luck, he was able to recover all the data on the drive and copy it to the spare hard drive. The software, did report some problems with some sectors on the drive, fortunately, there was no data in those sectors.

When I got home, I reinstalled the hard drive in the computer. As the hard drive is a Western Digital hard drive, I downloaded and installed their Data Lifeguard software.

As I had all the data from the drive stored on another drive. I decided to choose the option to write zeros to the entire drive, in effect, returning the drive to the state it was in when I purchased it. The function completed successfully, with no errors.

Once that was done, I used the windows Disk Management utility, to initialize, partition and format the drive.

I then used CHKDSK, with the /f switch, to check the drive. It came back with no errors.

I restarted the computer and used CHKDSK, with the /F switch again, and again, the program came back with no errors.

I restored the data from the backup drive to the original drive. So, everything is back to normal.

I will check the drive regularly to check reliability.

Dave Durber wrote:

[...]

Hello.  Sounds like you did the right things, except for one.  If a drive gives you errors, and you manage to fix it using the process you used, you may not want to trust it again.  Hard drives are cheap, and data is hard to replace.  I had a drive in a laptop that failed in a similar manner to yours.  I was able to write zeros to it and get it going again.  Six months later the whole disaster began again with another bad sector in a bad spot making it unreliable.  I finally put in a new drive and restored the backup.  That was the true fix to the problem.

Good luck.

CH

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Covici" <covici@...>

Dave Durber wrote:

[...]

Hello Chris:

I just checked the hard drives serial number, on the Western Digital web site, and discovered, that the drive is over five years old, it has served me well. So, off to hard drive heaven it goes.

I have decided to order a 3 TB hard drive, which is the same size as the external drive which has the data recovered from the defective drive. When it comes, I will use Image for Windows to copy the partitions stored on the external hard drive to the new internal hard drive, which will save time in initializing, partitioning, formatting and then copying the data.

Dave Durber wrote:

[...]

You might also want to check the drive periodically with smartmontools
and if the reallocated sectors are anything but 0, get a new drive.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hill"
<hillco@...>

Dave Durber wrote:

[...]

As I said in my previous email, the hard drive is over 5 years old, which is why I have decided to get a new one, probably, a Western Digital black.

Thanks again.