moderated Another Winamp Question

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

Within the past few wekes, whenever I try to play an audio file from my external hard drive with Winamp, I get a message that says something like:  “Winamp has detected a an external drive;  do you want Winamp to access  this drive?”.

There is a yes/no button, but I can’t get to it.

I have tried enter, and the space bar.  I also have tried rooting the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor, but have had no luck.

Occasionally, after trying, I can get the message to play, but then I get an error message about reporting the problem to Winamp.

And, once I get these messages, the only way I can get rid of them is to completely shut down and re-boot my computer.

Has anyone experienced this issue?  If so, how can I respond, or better yet, how can I turn this anoying notification off?

I’m using windows 10 version 1809 with the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Mario

have you tried setting the window restriction level to unrestricted when
the JAWS cursor is active?

press the numpad minus to invoke the JAWS cursor and before moving the
JAWS cursor, press and hold down the insert and press r until you hear
"unrestricted" and see if you can locate and left click (numpad slash)
the yes or no button. don't forget to set the window restriction level
back to application window restriction.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. Which version of Winamp are you using? I am using Winamp version 5.66, full, and I am not getting this message.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi, Tom. Try the following,

In the Winamp program, go to Preferences > Plugins > Portables > look for the USB one, and hit the uninstall button

Or with Winamp closed, delete pmp_usb.dll from the Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins folder.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Steve Matzura

I don't have an answer, just another question. What version of Winamp are you using?

On 8/9/2019 4:05 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

[...]

No, I have not done this.

I'm hoping the solution is a bit simpler, but will keep this in mind as
well.

Tom Behler

[...]

I’m using version 5.666 build 3512.

I believe I installed the full version the last time I did so.

Tom Behler

[...]

I've discovered an interesting   problem with that version. If I press Shift plus L to open a folder, I can navigate to a folder which I absolutely know contains nearly three hundred folders, but Winamp says there's only one. If I remove  5.666 and reinstall 5.63, it works correctly. Weird, eh?

On 8/9/2019 5:25 PM, Bill White wrote:

Hi, Tom. Which version of Winamp are you using? I am using Winamp version 5.66, full, and I am not getting this message.

Bill White

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi again, Tom. It sounds like when you installed Winamp, you left something checked, when it might have been simpler to uncheck some things. I uncheck Winamp agent, I uncheck the library, and I also uncheck visualization.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi, Tom. If the USB plugin is in the plugins folder, there’s nothing risky in removing it. I don’t even have it in my plugins folder.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

If the problem persists, I might actually uninstall and then reinstall winamp.

I do have the executable file for my version here.

I’ve never quite understood all of the options that come up in the instalation process, so your suggestions here are very helpful.

I’m going to keep them handy.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

[...]

Thanks, Bill.

I’m learning here!

Tom Behler

[...]

JM Casey

I noticed this too, but I  was using the same version of Winamp on my xp machine without this issue, so I think it has something to do with Windows 10, or at least, I thought it did, but you verifying that an older version of Winamp actually does not have this issue is – very interesting.

In any case, I pretty much stopped using shift-l to add folders to playlists because of this, and now just use the context/shell option instead, which is really just as good … better as far as Windows itself is concerned, anyway.

I've discovered an interesting   problem with that version. If I press Shift plus L to open a folder, I can navigate to a folder which I absolutely know contains nearly three hundred folders, but Winamp says there's only one. If I remove  5.666 and reinstall 5.63, it works correctly. Weird, eh?

On 8/9/2019 5:25 PM, Bill White wrote:

Hi, Tom. Which version of Winamp are you using? I am using Winamp version 5.66, full, and I am not getting this message.

Bill White

JM Casey

Well, this is all very odd. I would have to reinstall winamp in order to experience this dialogue again since I have the related plugin uninstalled completely, but, yes, I do remember it. I also don’t really remember it being a  problem, though, just a minor annoyance.

[...]

John Gurd

Hi Tom, Bill told you the best way to get rid of for good. But another way that worked for me for individual devices was to press Jaws F10 to bring up a list of running applications. The Yes/No appears here and allows you to focus on it and click no to get rid of it for the device you are using with Winamp.

On 10 Aug 2019, at 21:06, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, John.

I’ll add this suggestion to my notes for when the problem comes up again, which I’m sure it will.

Tom Behler