From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of clarence carter via Groups.Io
Sent: August-05-19 9:29 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: RSS on Chrome

                I have been having trouble subscribing to RSSfeeds while using Chrome. I have not been able to see the gain access to the chrome reader with JAWS What steps do I take to get the RSS reader? Would it be better to get a free standing RSS read3er?

Gerald Levy

To be perfectly honest, the only RSS reader I have ever found to be fully accessible with JAWS is the one built into IE 11.?? I use Chrome as my default browser, but now useIE mostly as an RSS feed reader.

Gerald

On 8/5/2019 9:28 PM, clarence carter via Groups.Io wrote:

?????????????????????????????? I have been having trouble subscribing to RSSfeeds while using Chrome. I have not been able to see the gain access to the chrome reader with JAWS What steps do I take to get the RSS reader? Would it be better to get a free standing RSS read3er?

??

??

dennis

rss feeds work very well in thunderbird too.

--
Dennis Cornelison

Cristóbal

As before, I recommend The Old reader www.theoldreader.com

Web based meaning that you can access it from any browser or machine and don’t’ have to worry about a crash and you losing all your feeds. Syncs across all platforms and devices and is completely screen reader accessible as well.

To be perfectly honest, the only RSS reader I have ever found to be fully accessible with JAWS is the one built into IE 11.?? I use Chrome as my default browser, but now useIE mostly as an RSS feed reader.

Gerald

On 8/5/2019 9:28 PM, clarence carter via Groups.Io wrote:

?????????????????????????????? I have been having trouble subscribing to RSSfeeds while using Chrome. I have not been able to see the gain access to the chrome reader with JAWS What steps do I take to get the RSS reader? Would it be better to get a free standing RSS read3er?

??

??

Chris Hill

As far as I know, chrome does not do rss.  I think that is part of the reason Firefox stopped as well.  I just use Thunderbird for rss.

On 8/6/2019 05:42, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

To be perfectly honest, the only RSS reader I have ever found to be fully accessible with JAWS is the one built into IE 11.?? I use Chrome as my default browser, but now useIE mostly as an RSS feed reader.

Gerald

On 8/5/2019 9:28 PM, clarence carter via Groups.Io wrote:

?????????????????????????????? I have been having trouble subscribing to RSSfeeds while using Chrome. I have not been able to see the gain access to the chrome reader with JAWS What steps do I take to get the RSS reader? Would it be better to get a free standing RSS read3er?

??

??

clarence carter <clarcar@...>

I was thinking of going back to IE for that. Is there any reason why Firefox and Chrome have abandoned RSS?

[...]

Chrome has not abandoned RSS.?? But unlike IE, Chrome does not have the RSS feed reader built in.?? You have to install an extension to read RSS feeds, and it may not be accessible.?? Firefox has never had an accessible RSS feed reader,and is such a screwed up mess that it is best avoided unless you absolutely need it to access a particular web site.??

Gerald

On 8/6/2019 11:29 PM, clarence carter via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

That's very interesting.  I used to use the live bookmarks rss reading feature of firefox all the time, until they got rid of it a couple of years ago.  It was great and much easier than internet explorer.  The word built-in, in my opinion means you didn't have to install anything to use it, and that was how firefox used to be, unlike chrome.

The reason they took it out of firefox is they didn't want to spend the money or effort to upgrade and maintain it.  As far as the rest of firefox goes, the bookmarks and menus are still easier to access than chrome and brafe, I still use it on a lot of websites with good success.  Besides, I don't like all my data being siphoned off to google.

Now, for rss I just use the feed reader in thunderbird.  A pain to set up, but it works well.

On 8/7/2019 05:42, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

I’m sure if you poked around long enough, you’d find any number of third party add-ons/plug-ins for Chrome and Firefox that can handle RSS. That’s more or less how those browsers work.