From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Mladek
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:02 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: compression apps

Hi all,

I’m needing to compress a document before emailing. I’m at an approximate 11.8 Mb and am wondering which application is easiest to use and accessible with Jaws 2019.

Thanks for all ideas/comments,

Rick

Randy Barnett

Seven Zip iis the best I have used. But for a basic one time need the buitl in zip funtcion in windows is fine. Right click then go to send to then click Compressed (zipped) folder. On 7/31/2019 11:02 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Hi all,

I’m needing to compress a document before emailing. I’m at an approximate 11.8 Mb and am wondering which application is easiest to use and accessible with Jaws 2019.

Thanks for all ideas/comments,

Rick

JM Casey

Hi Rick

Well, I have winrar on this computer. I’ve used it for many years on many systems. The programme is not exactly free (last time I checked anyway), but it just nags, and the shell options (IE in the contexxt menu), of which there are quite a few available, don’t give a nag screen. It can work with .zip files and also the .rar compressionf ormat, of course. You get slightly better compression for text with .rar than .zip, but it doesn’t really matter in most modern contexts what format you use. Doing an experiment now on a 490 K html file, using the best compression available, I got a result of 190 K using zip; and 166 k using rar.

I’m needing to compress a document before emailing. I’m at an approximate 11.8 Mb and am wondering which application is easiest to use and accessible with Jaws 2019.

Thanks for all ideas/comments,

Rick

Rick Mladek

I attempted this. I went from 11.8 Mb to 11.3 Mb. Should I not have more reduction or is this it?

Seven Zip iis the best I have used. But for a basic one time need the buitl in zip funtcion in windows is fine. Right click then go to send to then click Compressed (zipped) folder. On 7/31/2019 11:02 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Hi all,

I’m needing to compress a document before emailing. I’m at an approximate 11.8 Mb and am wondering which application is easiest to use and accessible with Jaws 2019.

Thanks for all ideas/comments,

Rick

JM Casey

It depends on the type of file. For stuff that is already compressed, like mp3s or jpgs, you will not see much reduction at all. But for text, the difference should be significant.

I attempted this. I went from 11.8 Mb to 11.3 Mb. Should I not have more reduction or is this it?

Seven Zip iis the best I have used. But for a basic one time need the buitl in zip funtcion in windows is fine. Right click then go to send to then click Compressed (zipped) folder. On 7/31/2019 11:02 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Hi all,

I’m needing to compress a document before emailing. I’m at an approximate 11.8 Mb and am wondering which application is easiest to use and accessible with Jaws 2019.

Thanks for all ideas/comments,

Rick

Rick Mladek

This is a Word Document with inserts as .jpg images...

It depends on the type of file. For stuff that is already compressed, like mp3s or jpgs, you will not see much reduction at all. But for text, the difference should be significant.

I attempted this. I went from 11.8 Mb to 11.3 Mb. Should I not have more reduction or is this it?

Seven Zip iis the best I have used. But for a basic one time need the buitl in zip funtcion in windows is fine. Right click then go to send to then click Compressed (zipped) folder. On 7/31/2019 11:02 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Hi all,

I’m needing to compress a document before emailing. I’m at an approximate 11.8 Mb and am wondering which application is easiest to use and accessible with Jaws 2019.

Thanks for all ideas/comments,

Rick

JM Casey

Ah.

So it’s probably the jpegs taking up most of the 1+ mb filesize.

In that case, you probably won’t see much more reduction. I don’t know much about 7zip as I never used it extensively, but winrar and the old pkzip and winzip programmes let you choose between different levels of compression. “Normal” was/is usually checked by default. You can set “best” if you want and see if there’s much difference. I don’t know why this option isn’t the default nowadays because it doesn’t take most modern PCs long to zip o r rar up large amounts of data, but that’s still the case in winrar as well. Still, I just have to select the appropriate item in the dialogue box and hit enter and, there you go, it’s done.

Still think though that you won’t see much result if the file is full of pictures. How small do you actually want to make this thing?

This is a Word Document with inserts as .jpg images...

It depends on the type of file. For stuff that is already compressed, like mp3s or jpgs, you will not see much reduction at all. But for text, the difference should be significant.

I attempted this. I went from 11.8 Mb to 11.3 Mb. Should I not have more reduction or is this it?

Seven Zip iis the best I have used. But for a basic one time need the buitl in zip funtcion in windows is fine. Right click then go to send to then click Compressed (zipped) folder. On 7/31/2019 11:02 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Hi all,

I’m needing to compress a document before emailing. I’m at an approximate 11.8 Mb and am wondering which application is easiest to use and accessible with Jaws 2019.

Thanks for all ideas/comments,

Rick

Rick Mladek

Hi,

About 53 pages and pictures are only 18 in total and all only 1.5 height and width. I was hoping I could at least bring this down to 5-6 Mb but as I’ve tried with 7-zip, not much change to warrant compressing.

[...]

Marty Hutchings

Rick,  It sounds like what you want to do is upload this document to Dropbox and just send a link to your recipient.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 3:02 PM

[...]

No, that is not what I want lol. However, I am well aware of drop box and love it. However, some of the recipients are not as savvy and need direct email. I’m sure you understand and thanks again for your comment/idea...

Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 3:02 PM

[...]

That depends on your file. What sort of file/file type is it?

I attempted this. I went from 11.8 Mb to 11.3 Mb. Should I not have more reduction or is this it?

Seven Zip iis the best I have used. But for a basic one time need the buitl in zip funtcion in windows is fine. Right click then go to send to then click Compressed (zipped) folder. On 7/31/2019 11:02 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Hi all,

I’m needing to compress a document before emailing. I’m at an approximate 11.8 Mb and am wondering which application is easiest to use and accessible with Jaws 2019.

Thanks for all ideas/comments,

Rick

Most email services should allow at least 15Mb attachments so 11 or 12 should be fine.

[...]

It's  The JPG files there already A  compressed format. so they won't get any smaller

Randy Barnett owner of soundtique

On Jul 31, 2019, at 1:02 PM, Rick Mladek <hmladek@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Turner

Perhaps a dropbox link?  Then the person can just download it to their computer.

Richard