From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 9:41 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Visited links on a website

Hello,  Does anyone know if there is a way to clear visited links from a website?  Certain websites that I visit on a regular basis to manage data have all or most of the links announced by JAWS as “Visited Link.”  This is because as I was getting familiar with the links on the site, I had hit Enter on them to explore what they would do.  Now, I know where I want to go and just typing the letter V for visited link to find the one that I need would be much easier if I could start over and not have JAWS announce all links as “Visited Link.”.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

If you clear your browser history that generally resets all knowledge of what links have been previously visited or not.

This can be done using a given web browser's built-in clear history option or via a third party tool like CCleaner (Internet History or History for a given browser) or BleachBit (URL History or History for a given browser).

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Marty Hutchings

Thanks Brian,  This seems to have done the trick, although not only the visited links are cleared, the browser no longer remembers my log in information, so a warning.  You better know your passwords before doing this.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: Visited links on a website

If you clear your browser history that generally resets all knowledge of what links have been previously visited or not.

This can be done using a given web browser's built-in clear history option or via a third party tool like CCleaner (Internet History or History for a given browser) or BleachBit (URL History or History for a given browser).

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Marty. Next time, before deleting the Browser history, just uncheck passwords from the data which will be deleted when you clear your history. Which browser are you using? If I know this, I might be able to tell you which check box to clear, depending upon whether or not I am familiar with that browser. I am not familiar with Chrome’s settings.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 9:20 PM

If you clear your browser history that generally resets all knowledge of what links have been previously visited or not.

This can be done using a given web browser's built-in clear history option or via a third party tool like CCleaner (Internet History or History for a given browser) or BleachBit (URL History or History for a given browser).

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Marty,

            One of the reasons I use third-party tools rather than a browser's built-in history clearing function is that they consistently give you much better control over exactly what aspects of history get deleted.   I like to clear browser cache on a regular basis, but leave pretty much all else unchanged.

             If this is something you anticipate needing to do I would encourage you to take a look at Bleach Bit.  I used to say CCleaner but it seems that accessibility issues have become substantial.  I haven't yet played with Bleach Bit with a screen reader but the nature of it's UI (which is more in the style of "old Windows") makes me guess that it will probably be less problematic from an accessibility standpoint.

             If there are any Bleach Bit users here who can attest to its accessibility, or problems with same, that would be good to know about.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brian. Clearing only the cache may not clear visited links. You might need to clear the browser history itself, and maybe even the saved web pages to clear visited links.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:49 PM, Bill White wrote:
You might need to clear the browser history itself, and maybe even the saved web pages to clear visited links.
Bill, you are absolutely correct.   I was simply commenting that my main use for Bleach Bit is to clear browser cache, not history.

The nice thing about both CCleaner and Bleach Bit, if you can get access to the pertinent checkboxes, is that each gives you an array of browser information that can be individually selected for deletion.

You can avoid things like nuking saved passwords while still clearing history, cache, form data, and any number of other bits.

         ~ Eric Hoffer