Topics

moderated I am looking for the following type of laptop

Dave Durber

Hello everyone:

I am looking for either a brand name laptop or one I can build myself or have built for me, which has room for not only the system hard drive but also has an additional hard drive for data.

I want the speed of an SSD drive and an HDD drive for storing my data files.

I have looked on the internet for a laptop with this configuration, with no success.

Any ideas?

Tyler Wood

Hi,
You'd be in the market for a ggaming laptop, which most likely meets your
needs.
I own a Lenovo thinkpad x1 extreme which can hold 2 solid state drives. Note
that a 1 tb solid state drive can now be found for less than $100 - and the
speed is so very worth it. So in theory, you could have 2 1 tb drives
installed in there. I'm not sure what your budget is - but it's a very solid
machine that will last me for years to come. The keyboard is absolutely
fantastic, the build quality is top notch and it's very, very serviceable.
Thanks

I am looking for either a brand name laptop or one I can build myself or
have built for me, which has room for not only the system hard drive but
also has an additional hard drive for data.

I want the speed of an SSD drive and an HDD drive for storing my data files.

I have looked on the internet for a laptop with this configuration, with no
success.

Any ideas?

Any laptop with at least 1 spot for a 2.5 inch drive nowadays should also be able to take an M.2 form factor SSD. Those are SSD's which are basically a card you plug into a slot in your laptop and you can then use the 2.5 inch drive bay for either another SSD or a traditional hard drive.

SSD prices are coming down fast as capacities go up, here is one example of a 1 Tb SSD which is $229 Canadian, probably would be $179 or so in the US:

Samsung MZ-N6E1T0BW 860 EVO M.2 SATA III 1 TB Internal SSD

Unless  you need more than 1 Tb of space I’d seriously consider spending the money for a drive like that rather than spending $80 or $100 for a smaller SSD and another $50 to $70 for a larger regular hard drive since it will of course greatly impact the battery life of the laptop to run two drives and in the end you wouldn’t save that much.

If of course you need 2 or 4 Tb it’s a different story.

Also, if the laptop has a DVD drive and you don’t need it you can get very inexpensive little caddies which allow you to put a regular 2.5 or 3.5 inch hard drive into the spot where the DVD drive usually goes.

Regards,

Sieghard

I am looking for either a brand name laptop or one I can build myself or have built for me, which has room for not only the system hard drive but also has an additional hard drive for data.

I want the speed of an SSD drive and an HDD drive for storing my data files.

I have looked on the internet for a laptop with this configuration, with no success.

Any ideas?

Randy Barnett

Check this out:
https://laptopstudy.com/best-ssd-laptop/

You want to find a laptop with a M2 NVME connector for a NVME SSD. They are small but way faster than a SATA SSD. Mine moves data at 2.5GB/s read and 2.3GB/S write. this form factor is specifically for laptops but as usual is used in PC's too.
HDDs will suck way more power if that matters to you. If you want a second drive for data to help guard against data loss then I would get 2 SSD's. One M2 NVME for OS and programs and one 2.5" SATA witch is what the first and most of the laptops in the list have.

On 7/29/2019 8:36 AM, Dave Durber wrote:
Hello everyone:

I am looking for either a brand name laptop or one I can build myself or have built for me, which has room for not only the system hard drive but also has an additional hard drive for data.

I want the speed of an SSD drive and an HDD drive for storing my data files.

I have looked on the internet for a laptop with this configuration, with no success.

Any ideas?

Steve Matzura

Contact Novatech, a very well-known and reputable company in your country who have built quality machines for several folks I know. If you can't find out how to do so, email me privately and I'll get you some phone numbers. They may not be in your neck of the wood though, so you may have to do this buying by mail, or they may tell you they have an outlet in or near your location.

On 7/29/2019 11:36 AM, Dave Durber wrote:
Hello everyone:

I am looking for either a brand name laptop or one I can build myself or have built for me, which has room for not only the system hard drive but also has an additional hard drive for data.

I want the speed of an SSD drive and an HDD drive for storing my data files.

I have looked on the internet for a laptop with this configuration, with no success.

Any ideas?

Dave Durber

Thank you Steve for the suggestion.

I've been buying from them for the last 4 years. In fact, they are located not far from where I was born. They are near Portstmouth, I was born in Gosport.

My only problem in buying a Laptop from them, is that I want to have a US keyboard layout, and they cannot provide that.

I do not particularly like the UK keyboard layout. Of course, if I had no choice, I would get used to using one.

Dave Durber

[...]

Are the keys really different, not just software-defined differently? Can you not tell Windows it's a US keyboard layout,and the devil with what the key caps say? Interesting.

On 7/30/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Durber wrote:
Thank you Steve for the suggestion.

I've been buying from them for the last 4 years. In fact, they are located not far from where I was born. They are near Portstmouth, I was born in Gosport.

My only problem in buying a Laptop from them, is that I want to have a US keyboard layout, and they cannot provide that.

I do not particularly like the UK keyboard layout. Of course, if I had no choice, I would get used to using one.

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

Hello Steve:

I like having the single and double quote on the same key. On a UK keyboard, the @ sign and double quote are swapped round.

If the ENTER key is vertical, the \key is moved to the top row, to the left of the BACK SPACE key. If the ENTER key is horrizontal, the \ key is above the ENTER key

On a UK keyboard, the \ key, is generally to the left of the letter zed, thus making the left shift key, the same size as an alpha numeric key. I am used to having a wide left shift key.

As I said previously, given time, I could and would get used to the changes but, I just prefer the US keyboard layout.

Are the keys really different, not just software-defined differently? Can you not tell Windows it's a US keyboard layout,and the devil with what the key caps say? Interesting.

On 7/30/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Durber wrote:
Thank you Steve for the suggestion.

I've been buying from them for the last 4 years. In fact, they are located not far from where I was born. They are near Portstmouth, I was born in Gosport.

My only problem in buying a Laptop from them, is that I want to have a US keyboard layout, and they cannot provide that.

I do not particularly like the UK keyboard layout. Of course, if I had no choice, I would get used to using one.

Dave Durber

Steve Matzura

I still want to know why  changing the keyboard layout in Windows won't get you what you need.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Matzura" <number6@...>
Are the keys really different, not just software-defined differently? Can you not tell Windows it's a US keyboard layout,and the devil with what the key caps say? Interesting.

On 7/30/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Durber wrote:
Thank you Steve for the suggestion.

I've been buying from them for the last 4 years. In fact, they are located not far from where I was born. They are near Portstmouth, I was born in Gosport.

My only problem in buying a Laptop from them, is that I want to have a US keyboard layout, and they cannot provide that.

I do not particularly like the UK keyboard layout. Of course, if I had no choice, I would get used to using one.

Dave Durber

It probably would with respect to the @ sign and double and single quotes, but it wouldn't change the fact that the left shift key is essentially split into two normal sized keys where one is the shift and the other the backslash. I actually have an old Acer laptop which has such a layout and it's a pain in the neck. Obviously there is a physical difference because I recently bought the Das Keyboard 4 Professional mechanical keyboard and they offer a "UK" version.

Regards,
Sieghard

Are the keys really different, not just software-defined differently?
Can you not tell Windows it's a US keyboard layout,and the devil with
what the key caps say? Interesting.

On 7/30/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Durber wrote:
Thank you Steve for the suggestion.

I've been buying from them for the last 4 years. In fact, they are
located not far from where I was born. They are near Portstmouth, I
was born in Gosport.

My only problem in buying a Laptop from them, is that I want to have
a US keyboard layout, and they cannot provide that.

I do not particularly like the UK keyboard layout. Of course, if I
had no choice, I would get used to using one.

Dave Durber

Ah and I forgot, I heard now with the new Prime Minister there will be a further update and the new UK keyboard will feature a Brexit key... sorry, I couldn't resist 🤣

Are the keys really different, not just software-defined differently?
Can you not tell Windows it's a US keyboard layout,and the devil with
what the key caps say? Interesting.

On 7/30/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Durber wrote:
Thank you Steve for the suggestion.

I've been buying from them for the last 4 years. In fact, they are
located not far from where I was born. They are near Portstmouth, I
was born in Gosport.

My only problem in buying a Laptop from them, is that I want to have
a US keyboard layout, and they cannot provide that.

I do not particularly like the UK keyboard layout. Of course, if I
had no choice, I would get used to using one.

Dave Durber

Marty Hutchings

LOL

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

[...]

When we moved to the UK, we brought all our existing keyboards, which are the US Layout. We do not want nor wish to constantly have to change keyboard layouts, between a laptop with a UK keyboard and an external US keyboard, depending on what we need to use at the time.

Another reason I prefer to have a laptop with a US keyboard, is that I have the ability to use both the left and right alt keys to perform functions. The UK keyboard has only one alt key, which is the left alt key because, the right alt key, is configured as a combined alt+ctrl combination.

Are the keys really different, not just software-defined differently? Can you not tell Windows it's a US keyboard layout,and the devil with what the key caps say? Interesting.

On 7/30/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Durber wrote:
Thank you Steve for the suggestion.

I've been buying from them for the last 4 years. In fact, they are located not far from where I was born. They are near Portstmouth, I was born in Gosport.

My only problem in buying a Laptop from them, is that I want to have a US keyboard layout, and they cannot provide that.

I do not particularly like the UK keyboard layout. Of course, if I had no choice, I would get used to using one.

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

Hello Tyler:

Thank you for the recommendation. I have some questions for you:

Is the laptop you have, the top of the line for that particular model.;

Is the CPU, an AMd or Intel

What is the speed of the CPU;

Is the HDMI the only means to connect to an external monitor;

How many USB ports does it have: Are they all USB 3.0;

Does your machine have a US Keyboard layout? Does it have a numeric keypad, If so, can you use the JAWS desktop commands, both with and without the insert/jaws key;

What version of Windows 10 is installed;

How many 3.5 sockets are there, for earphone/speakers, external microphone and line in

Did you buy it on line, if so, will you please post the URL;

and, if you do not mind disclosing the amount, how much did you pay for it because, I want a laptop which is going to last me for several years, maybe for the remainder of my life.

Thanks in anticipation.

I am looking for either a brand name laptop or one I can build myself or
have built for me, which has room for not only the system hard drive but
also has an additional hard drive for data.

I want the speed of an SSD drive and an HDD drive for storing my data files.

I have looked on the internet for a laptop with this configuration, with no
success.

Any ideas?

I am not Tylor, but I bought an Asus Zenbook with a 15 inch touch screen about two and a half years ago. Obviously you would have to look for whatever is the current model, but I really like this laptop. It was, however, expensive at the time I paid about $2,000 Canadian for it. I assume partially that was because of the 4K touchscreen display, turns out I really never use it, but at the time I was curious to try.
It is a very nice looking laptop as well, at the time it came with an Intel I7 sixth generation CPU, 16Gb of RAM and a 512Gb SSD.
It has 1 USB port on the left which can also charge a device like a phone when the laptop is turned off and two more on the right and there is also a USB-C port and an HDMI port. It has one 3.5mm headphone jack which can also be a microphone jack if you were to use it that way, but I never use a 3.5mm microphone any more so it never bothered me and many laptops nowadays don't have two 3.5mm ports any more.
The other nice thing about this laptop is it's battery life, despite the larger screen it gets about 8 hours which of course depends on what you do.
The keyboard is the traditional US style with two Alt keys, a Windows and FN key on the left and an application key on the right. There is a full numeric pad except that the Jaws/Insert key on the numpad is not double wide as is the case on a full desktop keyboard, instead the Insert key is underneath the number 2 and next to it under the 1 is already the right arrow key. This is the only thing which takes a bit of getting used to and of course there are no gaps between F4 and F5 and F8 and F9, but I don't think I have ever seen that on a laptop. It is a very nice keyboard to type on, but then again one should expect a nice keyboard on a $2,000 laptop.

Regards,
Sieghard

I am looking for either a brand name laptop or one I can build myself or
have built for me, which has room for not only the system hard drive but
also has an additional hard drive for data.

I want the speed of an SSD drive and an HDD drive for storing my data
files.

I have looked on the internet for a laptop with this configuration, with
no
success.

Any ideas?

Steve Matzura

Yeah, I did notice that the  first time I Tandemed in to someone's system in the UK and thought I was going mad. LOL.