Topics

moderated Jaws 2019 and desktop shortcut keys

Richard Turner

I've begun a conversation with Eric Damery from Freedom Scientific about the issue I have on my home computer with Jaws 2019 blocking my use of my desktop shortcut keys.
If anyone else is experiencing this, could you please write both Eric and myself? At this point, I'm a loan voice on this one.
Eric's email is EDamery@...

My address is: richardturner42@...

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)
www.turner42.com

Richard, just so you know, this issue/question was put to the beta team and is being discussed/investigated.

I've begun a conversation with Eric Damery from Freedom Scientific about the issue I have on my home computer with Jaws 2019 blocking my use of my desktop shortcut keys.
If anyone else is experiencing this, could you please write both Eric and myself? At this point, I'm a loan voice on this one.
Eric's email is EDamery@...

My address is: richardturner42@...

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)
www.turner42.com

Richard Turner

Thanks,
That is what Eric Damery told me but he said none of the 100 beta testers couldn't duplicate it.
Later,

On Jul 25, 2019, at 7:30 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <@Sieghard> wrote:

Richard, just so you know, this issue/question was put to the beta team and is being discussed/investigated.

I've begun a conversation with Eric Damery from Freedom Scientific about the issue I have on my home computer with Jaws 2019 blocking my use of my desktop shortcut keys.
If anyone else is experiencing this, could you please write both Eric and myself? At this point, I'm a loan voice on this one.
Eric's email is EDamery@...

My address is: richardturner42@...

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C153b5587c52948b1f36a08d71171352d%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636997050225945091&amp;sdata=tpSVboCSxBPqGw1Hd%2BTjaYe0TsC7PbzksnglKbrzgQo%3D&amp;reserved=0

Dan Longmore

Hi,
Yes, I get the same issue when JAWS and One Touch, a Bible software
program, are running together. I then lose the ability to use any desktop
shortcut keys. So far, this is the only time I have noted the problem.
JAWS has other issues with One Touch but the shortcut keys is the one that
is common between us.

Dan

I've begun a conversation with Eric Damery from Freedom Scientific about the
issue I have on my home computer with Jaws 2019 blocking my use of my
desktop shortcut keys.
If anyone else is experiencing this, could you please write both Eric and
myself? At this point, I'm a loan voice on this one.
Eric's email is EDamery@...

My address is: richardturner42@...

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)
www.turner42.com

David Csercsics

I have noticed many issues with JAWS, that make it nearly unusable for me. I'm just running it in demo mode, so maybe I shouldn't comment, as I doubt Freedom Scientific would like that kind of feedback. But 2 or 3 times now I have returned to my keyboard to find it unusable after the system had been idle for awhile. It also took out the braille display. I can duplicate the shortcut key problem as well, though it seems to happen randomly. Sometimes the keyboard driver will crash if I type too fast, and this is also true of the braille translator. This happens frequently enough that it can be quite annoying. I have other issues, some of which are keyboard related, but those are the ones that would be related to your shortcut issue.

Maria Campbell

You do realize that demo mode only works for 40 minutes at a time?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

On 7/27/2019 10:39 AM, David Csercsics wrote:
I have noticed many issues with JAWS, that make it nearly unusable for me. I'm just running it in demo mode, so maybe I shouldn't comment, as I doubt Freedom Scientific would like that kind of feedback. But 2 or 3 times now I have returned to my keyboard to find it unusable after the system had been idle for awhile. It also took out the braille display. I can duplicate the shortcut key problem as well, though it seems to happen randomly. Sometimes the keyboard driver will crash if I type too fast, and this is also true of the braille translator. This happens frequently enough that it can be quite annoying. I have other issues, some of which are keyboard related, but those are the ones that would be related to your shortcut issue.

Richard Turner

As Maria pointed out, demo mode only works for 40 minutes and you have to reboot your system.
If you ever get a full version and can still duplicate the shortcut keys issue, please contact Freedom Scientific and also let me know.
Richard

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

[...]

I don't think I can get a full version in Canada, at least not easily, since it costs as much as 2 computers. I'm just testing it to see if it's a worthwhile upgrade. I like the braille support mostly, though it was a pain to get to work, compared with other screen readers. I was aware that someone would rip me for saying demo mode, which is why I said maybe commenting on it wasn't worth my time. Back to lurk mode, and sorry for the inconvenience. I was only away from my keyboard for 15 minutes to walk the dog, which shouldn't have crashed my keyboard and braille display to the point I couldn't load another screen reader or do anything else with the system. But again, back to lurk mode, and I won't bother anyone here.

Richard Turner

No bother.
I didn't realize the $90 subscription offer from Freedom Scientific wasn't good in Canada.
It sounds like you could be using one of the free screen readers when not using Jaws, which to avoid list administrative ire, I won't mention.
But for many things, yes, Jaws is still more powerful.

Perhaps you could still write Eric Damery at FS to say that in demo mode of Jaws 2019 your desktop shortcuts don't work. So far, none of their 100 or so beta testers can duplicate it and none of their tech staff can either. edamery@...

Thanks,
[...]

Thanks Dan,
But I can't use them at startup with no other software running. Very strange in deed.

I'll see if I can take a look at the Bible software, I've not heard of that one.

[...]

https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C517209b80c1042e0479408d7129dc80c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636998341176955408&amp;sdata=l2uDRnK3Kxf9J12%2FmZ2MV6hk5ZGvCTXBMwWCSJOjdj8%3D&amp;reserved=0

David Csercsics

Yes, I am actually considering getting JAWS, I'm just trying to figure out what the best option is since I'm not in the US and they seem to be in some weird mode where they're changing their licenses, so I'm wondering what the most future proof option is as well as if it is worth the investment, which I think it may be given that I usually prefer braille, and their braille support is very good. Also I'm the sort that likes to tweak the hell out of things, so it may be worth the trouble for that as well, but I'm just exploring things right now. It's jut that the economics doesn't make sense at this point, because I'm not sure what's going on with their licenses, but I'm interested in testing to make sure that anyone who needs screen reading can get the functions they need. That's why I joined the list. I'd be happy to test betas because I have the time, and I'm not particularly loyal to any screen readers or brands in general, I'm just trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. But I'll contact Freedom Scientific and see what they can tell me.

Hi David,

I am also in Canada and I would hazard a guess and say there is something else going on which causes your problems. I have been a Jaws user since the DOS days (starting in 1989) and since then I have had every single version of Windows except 8.1 and every single version of Jaws on dozens of computers over those 30 years. I have a business and work on my computer and with Jaws every day for 8 to 10 hours and then again I use it at night on my laptop at home. At my retail store I have Jaws on 4 computers and not one exhibits the problems you describe.
Does Jaws have issues? Yes, of course it does, but so does every other software program in the world and certainly every screenreader, but I could not have run my store for the last 20 years without it and one thing is for certain, under Windows 10 the Jaws cursor isn't as useful as it used to be under Windows 7, but I go literally days and even weeks without any major Jaws crashes, at least not so I have to resort to rebooting my computer.

Regards,
Sieghard

I don't think I can get a full version in Canada, at least not easily, since it costs as much as 2 computers. I'm just testing it to see if it's a worthwhile upgrade. I like the braille support mostly, though it was a pain to get to work, compared with other screen readers. I was aware that someone would rip me for saying demo mode, which is why I said maybe commenting on it wasn't worth my time. Back to lurk mode, and sorry for the inconvenience. I was only away from my keyboard for 15 minutes to walk the dog, which shouldn't have crashed my keyboard and braille display to the point I couldn't load another screen reader or do anything else with the system. But again, back to lurk mode, and I won't bother anyone here.

Hi Richard,

No, currently the subscription model Jaws offers in the US is restricted to the US only. Let's hope it will be offered here in Canada very soon since I think it's a great idea and while I will continue to buy SMA's as long as they are offered, for people like David who never had Jaws or for people who are 2 or 3 or even more versions behind the subscription model is great.

By the way, David, just in case you didn't know this, the 40 minutes start counting from the first time you turn Jaws on, if you have Jaws set to load on startup and turn it off right away it still counts so if you did this and then turned it on 35 minutes later all you would get before it stops working and you have to reboot is 5 minutes.

Regards,
Sieghard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com “The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59