Topics

moderated JAWS 19 installation on windows 10

ARORA Meesha

Hello all,

I have recently joined this group and find the information shared very informative.

Hope someone can help me with the below query…

I am trying to install JAWS 19 in my laptop with Windows home”  basic after uninstalling JAWS 2018. The problem is JAWS is silent on various items on the PC like – on the start menu, it only speaks “Cortana” and nothing else. Then it is silent when I open system settings folder or open the option to connect to a network.

I have already performed the full recovery couple of times however the problem persists.

Has anybody faced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any insights to resolve this.

Many thanks

Meesha Arora

Richard Turner

As far as settings goes, that is Jaws.
I use Narrator when in settings.
The business of Windows 10 saying Cortana when you tap the Windows Key is a Windows 10 thing. Sometimes if you double tap the Windows Key it will say search, but that only worked a few times for me.
I just treat Cortana like the old search box'.
If you hit Windows key plus d, do you land on your desktop?
HTH,

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)

On Jul 25, 2019, at 3:02 AM, ARORA Meesha <meesha.arora@...> wrote:

Hello all,

I have recently joined this group and find the information shared very informative.

Hope someone can help me with the below query…

I am trying to install JAWS 19 in my laptop with Windows home”  basic after uninstalling JAWS 2018. The problem is JAWS is silent on various items on the PC like – on the start menu, it only speaks “Cortana” and nothing else. Then it is silent when I open system settings folder or open the option to connect to a network.

I have already performed the full recovery couple of times however the problem persists.

Has anybody faced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any insights to resolve this.

Many thanks

Meesha Arora

Hi Meesha,

Yes, unfortunately I have the same issue on one of my work PC’s, I can use any application just fine, but Jaws will not speak in the Windows search box, the start menu, the Settings app, control Panel, Calculator and other Windows applications.

I an on the Jaws beta team and know a few others have also experienced this, but it seems to be rare and an illusive issue to fix, for me this started over a year ago on this one PC and so far no Windows update, Jaws update, Windows repair or Jaws repair/reinstallation has fixed it. I am convinced that unfortunately the only way to fix this would be to reinstall Windows absolutely fresh and from scratch.

I am running the current Beta version of Jaws, but I think the June update already included an alternative way to display the start menu and for me Jaws now reads the start menu on this machine, but still not the Settings app, Windows search box or Calculator.

Open Jaws Settings Centre with Jaws Key + 6 on the number row, make sure default settings are loaded by pressing Control + Shift + D, then type “access” in the search box. Tab once and you should have 3 search results, one of them is the following:

Start menu: Access Out-of-Process not checked

Check that and tab to OK and save the new setting, then try the start menu.

Sorry I can’t provide an actual solution/fix for it, but so far I don’t think there is one except to reinstall Windows 10, then reinstall Jaws, all your applications and put back your data from backup.

Best regards,

Sieghard

In the June update of Jaws

have also

I have recently joined this group and find the information shared very informative.

Hope someone can help me with the below query…

I am trying to install JAWS 19 in my laptop with Windows home”  basic after uninstalling JAWS 2018. The problem is JAWS is silent on various items on the PC like – on the start menu, it only speaks “Cortana” and nothing else. Then it is silent when I open system settings folder or open the option to connect to a network.

I have already performed the full recovery couple of times however the problem persists.

Has anybody faced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any insights to resolve this.

Many thanks

Meesha Arora

Sorry, I forgot this, but Richard is correct, you can work around this by using Narrator for changing any Settings and the Jaws touch cursor also works in Settings.

If you have to frequently use the Calculator it is still a pain in the neck though because Jaws also does not read the Calculator.

[...]

Zel Iscel

Hi Sieghard,

Is that computer the same make and model as the others?

Does it run software that other computers of yours don’t run?

Could this be a case where Jaws is clashing with the video or graphics cards?

Cheers

Zel

I have recently joined this group and find the information shared very informative.

Hope someone can help me with the below query…

I am trying to install JAWS 19 in my laptop with Windows home”  basic after uninstalling JAWS 2018. The problem is JAWS is silent on various items on the PC like – on the start menu, it only speaks “Cortana” and nothing else. Then it is silent when I open system settings folder or open the option to connect to a network.

I have already performed the full recovery couple of times however the problem persists.

Has anybody faced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any insights to resolve this.

Many thanks

Meesha Arora

It is an HP EliteDesk 800 Mini PC and I have 2 of them, only difference is that one has an I5 CPU (the one where Jaws doesn’t read Settings etc.) and the other has an I7 CPU. Both of them are sixth generation and the specs otherwise are identical. Software is very much the same and Jaws first read everything fine when I installed Windows 10 Professional on these last year in April. These systems still came with Windows 7 at the time (a Windows 10 license downgraded to Windows 7) and I did a completely new install of Windows 10 from USB media, e.g. deleted all partitions, created new partitions and formatted the SSD drives, then installed Windows 10, afterwards I installed all my applications and Jaws. Both systems run Office via Office 365 download, my Microsoft point of sale software (they are both computers used in my retail store) and I have dealt with Jaws elevated support on this last year with no success. The computer where this is happening is our main register and I don’t use it all that much since it is mostly my sighted staff using it and I have simply put up with it for now using Narrator if I need to do anything in Settings. It would be too much work for me at this point to wipe this system clean and reinstall Windows on it, it has a plug-in from my credit card processor installed to connect our point of sale system with their PinPad and all in all it’s just to o disruptive right now to do this.

I have recently joined this group and find the information shared very informative.

Hope someone can help me with the below query…

I am trying to install JAWS 19 in my laptop with Windows home”  basic after uninstalling JAWS 2018. The problem is JAWS is silent on various items on the PC like – on the start menu, it only speaks “Cortana” and nothing else. Then it is silent when I open system settings folder or open the option to connect to a network.

I have already performed the full recovery couple of times however the problem persists.

Has anybody faced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any insights to resolve this.

Many thanks

Meesha Arora

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

Sieghard,

Would you be interested in talking off line? This would be about your business. If you do my email address is kevinmeyers@....

Thanks,

Kevin

[...]

Does the computer have an Intel Graphic card?

I’ve recently found out that Intel graphics sits over the processor and can disrupt the running of other big software like Jaws. I’ve been advised to get a computer with NVIDIA or MDA intel which operates independently from the processor.

[...]

David Csercsics

I’m not sure getting Nvidia helps all that much, considering that I have an Nvidia card here and there is still a lot of JAWS weirdness, but NVDA reads fine. I get quite a few crashes when the computer is idle, but not sleeping, as this is a desktop and I have  turned off all power management. I’ve frequently  come back from being away from the keyboard to find that JAWS has taken out the keyboard and the braille display with it. Not sure if this is a graphics card issue, but I’d be willing to investigate. I checked to make sure I had all the latest updates, but I didn’t see anything newer than what I have, as  the drivers from Nvidia for this card appear to be the same as the drivers that I could find on Windows update. I’ve also noticed a few things in universal apps not reading correctly, as you say, and I’ve unchecked the “use accessibility driver” option in the settings center, but it made no difference.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Hi Siegard.

Open Jaws Settings Centre with Jaws Key + 6 on the number row, make
sure default settings are loaded by pressing Control + Shift + D, then
type "access" in the search box. Tab once and you should have 3 search
results, one of them is the following:
Start menu: Access Out-of-Process not checked
Check that and tab to OK and save the new setting, then try the start menu.
I'm running thee latest update and don't see this option anywhere in settings. Might it only be in the beta you're testing?

Orlando Enrique Fiol

ARORA Meesha

Yes, the Windows key + D lands on the desktop… the keyboard commands are working fine, it’s just that the issue is JAWS not speaking on all the system menus as it should.

Thank you.

Thanks

Meesha

[...]

Many thanks Sieghard. I will try it.

Thanks

Meesha

I have recently joined this group and find the information shared very informative.

Hope someone can help me with the below query…

I am trying to install JAWS 19 in my laptop with Windows home”  basic after uninstalling JAWS 2018. The problem is JAWS is silent on various items on the PC like – on the start menu, it only speaks “Cortana” and nothing else. Then it is silent when I open system settings folder or open the option to connect to a network.

I have already performed the full recovery couple of times however the problem persists.

Has anybody faced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any insights to resolve this.

Many thanks

Meesha Arora

I think I should probably shut my mouth since apparently I sometimes think a feature I have in my Beta version was already released. Sorry if this is not the case, but I assume it will be in the soon to come next update.

>Open Jaws Settings Centre with Jaws Key + 6 on the number row, make >sure default settings are loaded by pressing Control + Shift + D, then >type "access" in the search box. Tab once and you should have 3 search >results, one of them is the following:
>Start menu: Access Out-of-Process not checked >Check that and tab to OK and save the new setting, then try the start menu.
I'm running thee latest update and don't see this option anywhere in settings. Might it only be in the beta you're testing?

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Hello Meesha,

I think I spoke to early, it seems that this setting I mentioned was not yet part of the June release, but I’m sure it will most likely be in the next public Jaws update.

Regards,

Sieghard

I have recently joined this group and find the information shared very informative.

Hope someone can help me with the below query…

I am trying to install JAWS 19 in my laptop with Windows home”  basic after uninstalling JAWS 2018. The problem is JAWS is silent on various items on the PC like – on the start menu, it only speaks “Cortana” and nothing else. Then it is silent when I open system settings folder or open the option to connect to a network.

I have already performed the full recovery couple of times however the problem persists.

Has anybody faced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any insights to resolve this.

Many thanks

Meesha Arora

ARORA Meesha

Ok, no problem😊 and what is the beta version?

Thank you Sieghard

[...]

cédric Paulet

Good afternoon,

The only way to solve this issue is the following:

Uninstall completely jaws and shared components.

Uninstall all other fs products installed on your system including all fs voices.

Remove all the freedom scientific folders located on your hard drive.

Remove all freedom scientific entries from the registry.

And reinstall Jaws from scratch and Jaws will work properly on the start menu of all versions of Windows from windows 7 to windows 10.

Best regards

Cedric

I have recently joined this group and find the information shared very informative.

Hope someone can help me with the below query…

I am trying to install JAWS 19 in my laptop with Windows home”  basic after uninstalling JAWS 2018. The problem is JAWS is silent on various items on the PC like – on the start menu, it only speaks “Cortana” and nothing else. Then it is silent when I open system settings folder or open the option to connect to a network.

I have already performed the full recovery couple of times however the problem persists.

Has anybody faced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any insights to resolve this.

Many thanks

Meesha Arora

ARORA Meesha

Many thanks Cedric for the response. I understand the other steps however how do I remove the JAWS components from the registry?

Please can you explain this part?

Thanks

Meesha

I have recently joined this group and find the information shared very informative.

Hope someone can help me with the below query…

I am trying to install JAWS 19 in my laptop with Windows home”  basic after uninstalling JAWS 2018. The problem is JAWS is silent on various items on the PC like – on the start menu, it only speaks “Cortana” and nothing else. Then it is silent when I open system settings folder or open the option to connect to a network.

I have already performed the full recovery couple of times however the problem persists.

Has anybody faced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any insights to resolve this.

Many thanks

Meesha Arora

I did all he outlined except the registry edits and Jaws still will not read things like Settings, the Calculator app and other Windows 10 system stuff.

A new Jaws update is about to come out for the public which will contain this new way to access the start menu and it should then read for you.

I can only say that if  you mess with the registry you better know what you are doing especially since I’m not sure whether Jaws would actually read the registry on a system where it doesn’t read settings in which case you would need to use Narrator. If you mess up something in the registry you may very well end up having to reinstall Windows and on any less important system I would have long since done that.

I have recently joined this group and find the information shared very informative.

Hope someone can help me with the below query…

I am trying to install JAWS 19 in my laptop with Windows home”  basic after uninstalling JAWS 2018. The problem is JAWS is silent on various items on the PC like – on the start menu, it only speaks “Cortana” and nothing else. Then it is silent when I open system settings folder or open the option to connect to a network.

I have already performed the full recovery couple of times however the problem persists.

Has anybody faced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any insights to resolve this.

Many thanks

Meesha Arora

ARORA Meesha

Sure Sieghard, thanks for the advice😊 I will look forward to try with the updated version.

Regards,

Meesha