Topics

moderated Microsoft notifications

Rick Mladek

Hi all,

Since I did that jaws repair, I have so many things different. One of the newest, as I close any Microsoft program, word, xcell or any browser, even firefox... I get some sort of notification that you cannot alt F4 to close, you just alt tab to another item open on the task bar and it disappears. I am not even able to know what is being said. So, how do I turn off these notifications? Within basic of jaws options, menu and control help is off and access key is also off.

Thanks for putting up with me... uhg!

Rick

Randy Barnett

Hi Rick, sorry to hear you're still having all kinds of trouble. Although I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say maybe can we freeze it? :-)

Randy Barnett owner of soundtique

On Jul 24, 2019, at 6:24 PM, Rick Mladek <hmladek@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Since I did that jaws repair, I have so many things different. One of the newest, as I close any Microsoft program, word, xcell or any browser, even firefox... I get some sort of notification that you cannot alt F4 to close, you just alt tab to another item open on the task bar and it disappears. I am not even able to know what is being said. So, how do I turn off these notifications? Within basic of jaws options, menu and control help is off and access key is also off.

Thanks for putting up with me... uhg!

Rick

Rick Mladek

Randy,

I now truly believe my pc has gremlins hidden within.

Yesterday, while at work and on this desk top pc running windows 10 and jaws 2019. I could be closing any Microsoft application, including internet explorer, outlook, word and ExCell, when I would close the program, I would hear “new notification”. I could not find any notification with either cursor, jaws/pc/touch cursors.

Today, I turn on my pc and have forgotten about this, opening and closing various programs previously mentioned. Until I find your message here in Outlook, I had forgotten about this issue experienced all day yesterday. I began opening and closing these various troubled programs and nothing. No more “new notification” alerts.

So, the gremlins are sleeping in obvously and the problem has mysteriously moved on.

Thanks for the note and if this returns, I’ll be back hoping to find a resolution.

Rickpc/

Hi Rick, sorry to hear you're still having all kinds of trouble. Although I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say maybe can we freeze it? :-)

Randy Barnett owner of soundtique

On Jul 24, 2019, at 6:24 PM, Rick Mladek <hmladek@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Since I did that jaws repair, I have so many things different. One of the newest, as I close any Microsoft program, word, xcell or any browser, even firefox... I get some sort of notification that you cannot alt F4 to close, you just alt tab to another item open on the task bar and it disappears. I am not even able to know what is being said. So, how do I turn off these notifications? Within basic of jaws options, menu and control help is off and access key is also off.

Thanks for putting up with me... uhg!

Rick

Les Kriegler

Rick,

I don't think it's necessarily gremlins. For many years, Jaws never found the Desktop when closing an application. While it's better than it was, I donT always land on the desktop. In fact, I get the New Notification message often. I just hit Windows-d and always focus is brought to the desktop.

Les

On Jul 25, 2019 6:58 AM, Rick Mladek <hmladek@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve Matzura

I get these notification windows frequently. In fact,I got one yesterday that inhibited my ability  to use Winamp. It turned out to be a window telling me my computer would restart to apply some updates during inactive hours, etc., etc., blah blah blah, but could I read it? NO! Could I do anything to let Winamp come into focus so I could even close it? Actually yes, but I had to do it within a split second after Alt-Tabbing to the Winamp window, otherwise the notification window would overwrite it and I'd lose focus again. Ver'r'r'r'ry annoying!

Rick Mladek

Is there any way to turn off these notifications?

I get these notification windows frequently. In fact,I got one yesterday that inhibited my ability to use Winamp. It turned out to be a window telling me my computer would restart to apply some updates during inactive hours, etc., etc., blah blah blah, but could I read it? NO!
Could I do anything to let Winamp come into focus so I could even close it? Actually yes, but I had to do it within a split second after Alt-Tabbing to the Winamp window, otherwise the notification window would overwrite it and I'd lose focus again. Ver'r'r'r'ry annoying!

I also get this occasionally, you can check the Action Centre and if there is no notification ignore it, usually you can minimize all applications with Windows Key + M and it goes away.

Hi Rick, sorry to hear you're still having all kinds of trouble. Although I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say maybe can we freeze it? :-)

Randy Barnett owner of soundtique

On Jul 24, 2019, at 6:24 PM, Rick Mladek <hmladek@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Since I did that jaws repair, I have so many things different. One of the newest, as I close any Microsoft program, word, xcell or any browser, even firefox... I get some sort of notification that you cannot alt F4 to close, you just alt tab to another item open on the task bar and it disappears. I am not even able to know what is being said. So, how do I turn off these notifications? Within basic of jaws options, menu and control help is off and access key is also off.

Thanks for putting up with me... uhg!

Rick

Bill White

This will happen again the moment you do receive a valid notification. This is a bug I have noticed, the first day I updated to Windows 10, 1809. It happens when you dismiss a valid notification, but the notification screen will not close, and a sighted friend told me it is a blank screen.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Rick, sorry to hear you're still having all kinds of trouble. Although I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say maybe can we freeze it? :-)

Randy Barnett owner of soundtique

On Jul 24, 2019, at 6:24 PM, Rick Mladek <hmladek@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Since I did that jaws repair, I have so many things different. One of the newest, as I close any Microsoft program, word, xcell or any browser, even firefox... I get some sort of notification that you cannot alt F4 to close, you just alt tab to another item open on the task bar and it disappears. I am not even able to know what is being said. So, how do I turn off these notifications? Within basic of jaws options, menu and control help is off and access key is also off.

Thanks for putting up with me... uhg!

Rick

As I have mentioned before, there is a presumption at work here that these are indeed Microsoft notifications that may not be correct.

There are all sorts of notifications that can be popped up by a web browser.  Since I don't use a screen reader on a constant basis I do not know how they all might be announced, but I would have to believe that the screen reader would make their presence known.

There is a limit to the number of terms that screen reader software is going to use for a basic notification, and my suspicion is that there may be a browser push notification involved here, but I have no way to prove it.

And, Rick, everything you have been describing strongly indicates you have corruption in your Windows 10 installation.  Do yourself a favor and go through Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Bill White

Hi, Steve. That's because you only have notification persistence set to five seconds. If you want the notifications to persist longer,

1. Open Control Panel.
2. Open Ease of Access.
3. Open Use the Computer Without a Display.
4. Change the setting which reads,
How long should Windows notification dialog boxes stay open?
Set it to a longer period of time.
5. TAB to the Apply button, and press ENTER.
6. TAB to the OK button and press ENTER.

Now these notifications will stay open longer, so you can get to them, and interact with them.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

I get these notification windows frequently. In fact,I got one yesterday
that inhibited my ability to use Winamp. It turned out to be a window
telling me my computer would restart to apply some updates during
inactive hours, etc., etc., blah blah blah, but could I read it? NO!
Could I do anything to let Winamp come into focus so I could even close
it? Actually yes, but I had to do it within a split second after
Alt-Tabbing to the Winamp window, otherwise the notification window
would overwrite it and I'd lose focus again. Ver'r'r'r'ry annoying!

Rick Mladek

You are so very wrong, I will say no more...

[...]

Hi, Rick. Yes.
1. Press ALT plus I for Settings.
2. TAB once. If it says, System, press ENTER on that.
3. TAB once to the tree view of System Settings.
4. Arrow down to Notifications and Actions, and press ENTER on that.
5. TAB to the various items for which you can get notifications, and see if they say On or Off.
6. If they are On, press SPACE on each of these to turn them off.
7. Once they are all off, close this window. That's it.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

Is there any way to turn off these notifications?

I get these notification windows frequently. In fact,I got one yesterday that inhibited my ability to use Winamp. It turned out to be a window telling me my computer would restart to apply some updates during inactive hours, etc., etc., blah blah blah, but could I read it? NO!
Could I do anything to let Winamp come into focus so I could even close it? Actually yes, but I had to do it within a split second after Alt-Tabbing to the Winamp window, otherwise the notification window would overwrite it and I'd lose focus again. Ver'r'r'r'ry annoying!

Rick Mladek

Hi Bill,

I do hit alt +i and get nothing...

Is there any way to turn off these notifications?

I get these notification windows frequently. In fact,I got one yesterday that inhibited my ability to use Winamp. It turned out to be a window telling me my computer would restart to apply some updates during inactive hours, etc., etc., blah blah blah, but could I read it? NO!
Could I do anything to let Winamp come into focus so I could even close it? Actually yes, but I had to do it within a split second after Alt-Tabbing to the Winamp window, otherwise the notification window would overwrite it and I'd lose focus again. Ver'r'r'r'ry annoying!

Bill White

Hi, Rick. I misspoke. It's not ALT plus I. It's Windows key plus I.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

Is there any way to turn off these notifications?

I get these notification windows frequently. In fact,I got one yesterday that inhibited my ability to use Winamp. It turned out to be a window telling me my computer would restart to apply some updates during inactive hours, etc., etc., blah blah blah, but could I read it? NO!
Could I do anything to let Winamp come into focus so I could even close it? Actually yes, but I had to do it within a split second after Alt-Tabbing to the Winamp window, otherwise the notification window would overwrite it and I'd lose focus again. Ver'r'r'r'ry annoying!

Rick Mladek

Hi Bill,

Successfully accomplished. We'll see if they come back. I'll keep you up to date if so...

Thanks again,

Rick

Hi, Rick. I misspoke. It's not ALT plus I. It's Windows key plus I.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

Is there any way to turn off these notifications?

I get these notification windows frequently. In fact,I got one yesterday that inhibited my ability to use Winamp. It turned out to be a window telling me my computer would restart to apply some updates during inactive hours, etc., etc., blah blah blah, but could I read it? NO!
Could I do anything to let Winamp come into focus so I could even close it? Actually yes, but I had to do it within a split second after Alt-Tabbing to the Winamp window, otherwise the notification window would overwrite it and I'd lose focus again. Ver'r'r'r'ry annoying!

Mario

Bill, can one "left click" as soon as when these notifications are
spoken, or is there another way to interact with them?

I get these notification windows frequently. In fact,I got one yesterday
that inhibited my ability to use Winamp. It turned out to be a window
telling me my computer would restart to apply some updates during
inactive hours, etc., etc., blah blah blah, but could I read it? NO!
Could I do anything to let Winamp come into focus so I could even close
it? Actually yes, but I had to do it within a split second after
Alt-Tabbing to the Winamp window, otherwise the notification window
would overwrite it and I'd lose focus again. Ver'r'r'r'ry annoying!

.

Bill White

Best way to interact with these notifications is with the keystroke, WINDOWS Key plus SHIFT plus V.

If That doesn't work, bring up the Action Center with WINDOWS Key plus A and look through your notifications there.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...