Topics

moderated Kitchensinc games

Mario

this maybe a long shot, but the battleship game is not announcing the
coordinates as my sister moves about the grid. does anyone know of a fix
or can suggest
how to maybe fix this issue?

also would like to know if the games have been ported to work in Windows
10 so I can install the games when I finally upgrade?

Richard Turner

I don't have an answer yet for the issue since I am at work.
But, someone did produce them for Windows 10.
When I get home I will see if I can duplicate the issue.

Here is the link to an archive of Jim's games:

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)

On Jul 24, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Mario <mrb620@...> wrote:

this maybe a long shot, but the battleship game is not announcing the
coordinates as my sister moves about the grid. does anyone know of a fix
or can suggest
how to maybe fix this issue?

also would like to know if the games have been ported to work in Windows
10 so I can install the games when I finally upgrade?

Gerald Levy

My understanding is thatJim Kitchen passed away before he had an opportunity to modify his suite of games to work with Windows 10.?? If somebody else modified them to work with Windows 10, I would certainly be interested in the web site where they can be downloaded.

Gerald

On 7/24/2019 12:50 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
I don't have an answer yet for the issue since I am at work.
But, someone did produce them for Windows 10.
When I get home I will see if I can duplicate the issue.

Here is the link to an archive of Jim's games:

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."??
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)
??

On Jul 24, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Mario <mrb620@...> wrote:

this maybe a long shot, but the battleship game is not announcing the
coordinates as my sister moves about the grid. does anyone know of a fix
or can suggest
how to maybe fix this issue?

also would like to know if the games have been ported to work in Windows
10 so I can install the games when I finally upgrade?

Richard Turner

I didn't make myself very clear, but the link I sent is to the Windows 10 version. I wish I could remember the name of the person who did them.
I knew Jim for a long time and played chess with him via email.
If you play the baseball game, you may recognize my name.
Later,

On Jul 24, 2019, at 11:01 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

[...]

Curtis Delzer

I recognize your name, and Karen and I contributed to some of the ideas for pizza 3! :)

two kinds, in fact! :)

have one of those real neat days! we still play his games!

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...
On 7/24/2019 12:14 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

[...]

cecropia64

COULD somebody please resent the link to the windows ten versions of jim kitchen's games please??? thanks

www.turner42.com <http://www.turner42.com>

https://www.agarchive.net/pages/devs/kitchensinc.html <https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.agarchive.net%2Fpages%2Fdevs%2Fkitchensinc.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cf4acdf25bda24efb9f3708d71060fc25%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636995881051750305&sdata=CBs2pgtGsoVLpOH5VgCGrFHqhILXC9SmtQjb6JaqRkk%3D&reserved=0>

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."??
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)
www.turner42.com <https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cf4acdf25bda24efb9f3708d71060fc25%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636995881051760316&sdata=8ZTKaht5w%2BpE2tGHXOh%2FJbQdL7ZdE2UJTixw8cVtgig%3D&reserved=0>
??

On Jul 24, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Mario <mrb620@... <mailto:mrb620@...>> wrote:

this maybe a long shot, but the battleship game is not announcing the
coordinates as my sister moves about the grid. does anyone know of a fix
or can suggest
how to maybe fix this issue?

also would like to know if the games have been ported to work in Windows
10 so I can install the games when I finally upgrade?

Gerald Levy

I did a little research and discovered that someone named Bryan Smart modified the KitchenSinc suite of games to work with Windows 10 shortly after Jim passed away four years ago, and posted them on his web site.?? But I tried to visit this site, and it appears that it has been taken down, so it looks like there is currently no way to download Windows 10 versions of KitchenSinc games, unless there is another web site somewhere else:

https://www.blindbargains.com/bargains.php?m=13307

Gerald

On 7/24/2019 3:14 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
[...]

thanks for this.?? stew

On 7/24/2019 4:11 PM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Stew and Gerald, here's the link Richard posted:

<mailto:mrb620@...>> wrote:

this maybe a long shot, but the battleship game is not announcing the
coordinates as my sister moves about the grid. does anyone know of
a fix
or can suggest
how to maybe fix this issue?

also would like to know if the games have been ported to work in
Windows
10 so I can install the games when I finally upgrade?

.

Maria Campbell

Has anyone downloaded and actually tried these games?  I loved the old games when I could play them before w10.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

[...]

JM Casey

Sure. They work ok, except for the Battleship game, which I never got going because it crashes with an error when trying to set up the board, at least, on my machine.

[...]

So, I only got these a couple of years ago on my Windows 10 box. Seems I downloaded the versions provided on Brian Smart's site. But, I'm not really sure that much was done with them. I think they're the most recent versions by Kitchen himself. Maybe the menu programme is new, and they are voiced by Microsoft David, in my case, but it's probably the Sapi voice that was also available in Windows 7.
So, while I’m not 100% certain/wouldn't bank a ton of money on it, I'm willing to suppose that if you have something that works in Windows 7, you should be able to get it to work with 10 also. Windows is pretty downward compatible in general. I know some people have had trouble with games using directx, but even then, a little searching on the internet will usually provide all the components you need.

The games are all right; not too stimulating to me for the most part, but the baseball game is ... oddly relaxing.

this maybe a long shot, but the battleship game is not announcing the coordinates as my sister moves about the grid. does anyone know of a fix or can suggest how to maybe fix this issue?

also would like to know if the games have been ported to work in Windows
10 so I can install the games when I finally upgrade?

Mario

here's another link that allows the saving of an archive of all of the
(30+) games from his blog:

http://bryansmart.com/files/Kitchen's%20Sink/Kitchen's%20Sink%201.0%20Setup.exe

<mailto:mrb620@...>> wrote:

this maybe a long shot, but the battleship game is not announcing the
coordinates as my sister moves about the grid. does anyone know of
a fix
or can suggest
how to maybe fix this issue?

also would like to know if the games have been ported to work in
Windows
10 so I can install the games when I finally upgrade?

.

Gerald Levy

Not necessarily.?? Windows 10 is a completely different animal than its predecessors.?? You downloaded the KitchensInc games from Bryan Smart's site, which, unfortunately, is apparently gone.?? Who knows what he did to get them to work with Windows 10??? Has anyone downloaded these games from Jim Kitchen's original site and gotten them to work successfully with Windows 10??? I'm pretty sure the games on this site were designed to work only with Windows 7 and earlier, and you cannot assume that a program that works with Windows 7 will work with Windows 10 without modification.

Gerald

<mailto:mrb620@...>> wrote:

this maybe a long shot, but the battleship game is not announcing the
coordinates as my sister moves about the grid. does anyone know of
a fix
or can suggest
how to maybe fix this issue?

also would like to know if the games have been ported to work in
Windows
10 so I can install the games when I finally upgrade?

.

JM Casey

Yes, there are certainly differences, but downward compatibility is definitely a major concern in this operating system. I'm not only assuming, but basing it upon all my personal experience with this operating system so far, which tells me that, though you may have to do a bit of tweaking, almost everything short of old Dos programmes can be made to work.
Nevertheless, try installing them on your Windows 10 machine; see what happens.

this maybe a long shot, but the battleship game is not announcing the coordinates as my sister moves about the grid. does anyone know of a fix or can suggest how to maybe fix this issue?

also would like to know if the games have been ported to work in
Windows
10 so I can install the games when I finally upgrade?

Gerald Levy

Okay, thanks to somebody on another list, here's a link to a Drop Box folder that contains the installer for the complete suite of KitchensInc games for Windows 10.?? I installed them on my Windows 10 PC, and they work!:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqsdwm1wksyi8b9/Kitchensinc%20complete%20Setup.exe?dl=1

Gerald

On 7/24/2019 6:02 PM, JM Casey wrote:
Yes, there are certainly differences, but downward compatibility is definitely a major concern in this operating system. I'm not only assuming, but basing it upon all my personal experience with this operating system so far, which tells me that, though you may have to do a bit of tweaking, almost everything short of old Dos programmes can be made to work.
Nevertheless, try installing them on your Windows 10 machine; see what happens.

this maybe a long shot, but the battleship game is not announcing the coordinates as my sister moves about the grid. does anyone know of a fix or can suggest how to maybe fix this issue?

also would like to know if the games have been ported to work in
Windows
10 so I can install the games when I finally upgrade?

cecropia64

thanks for these.?? i am getting ready to switch over from windows seven and didn't want to lose these.?? thanks.

stew

On 7/25/2019 6:52 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Hurray!  Just played and won my first Battleship game after running the trouble shooter.

Thanks.