Topics

moderated what setting is needed to read links character by character

Rick Mladek

Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

John Covici

I think you would have to right click on the link and either copy it
to the clipboard, or inspect (called various names in different
browsers) and look at it that way.

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 06:19:25 -0400,
Rick Mladek wrote:

Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Chris Hill

I just use speech history, insert plus space bar followed by h.

On 7/23/2019 05:19, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

Debby Hill

Also, I could read links character by character by just using the numpad keys. However, I just checked and I was able to read a link character by character by using the regular cursor keys.

It seems like you might have this problem if you are using Smart Navigation mode which I am not using. You can see a description of Smart Navigation and how to read links using it in the JAWS help.

Take care and have fun!

Debby

I just use speech history, insert plus space bar followed by h.

On 7/23/2019 05:19, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

Shirley Tracy

Hi Rick,

I generally press the JAWS key plus up arrow twice. It spells the entire link.

Shirley Tracy

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

Richard Turner

I think you nailed it. I'm not using Smart Navigation mode and I can simply use the standard arrow keys to read links character by character.

Jaws 2019 Windows 10.
Richard

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

I just use speech history, insert plus space bar followed by h.

On 7/23/2019 05:19, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

Rick Mladek

Hi Richard, Again, I have the smart navigation box un-checked... This also began with my headache with indeed.com... no ideas...

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com “The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

I just use speech history, insert plus space bar followed by h.

On 7/23/2019 05:19, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

Randy Barnett

Sorry Rick but I can and always have been able to arrow character by character  through links.

Something is definitely wrong with your Jaws install. Did you do a repair or try jaws 17? To help any more we really need to do this for troubleshooting your issues.

Jaws 2018 was a major redesign of how jaws interacts with windows and browsers so sometimes 17 will work when newer versions wont. Although at this point it is most likely a corrupt jaws install.

On 7/23/2019 7:05 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

Rick,
Is this on all web sites, or just Indeed?
If all web sites, then probably like Randy said, a problem with Jaws.
Good luck,

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)
www.turner42.com

Check out my web site at: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C1e9ae5e24c5a44e62cb608d70f8ebba5%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636994978009454149&amp;sdata=g3tBi0o4e5j25fqNWLyXKd5OQKhQrzLlixrFHMfKobk%3D&amp;reserved=0 “The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

I just use speech history, insert plus space bar followed by h.

On 7/23/2019 05:19, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

Rick Mladek

repair fixed nothing. The tech guy at FS told me you are not able to go through a link character by character and I found tha odd since I was able to do this in the past on all sites and when the indeed problem became an issue, I soon noticed the inability to read a link character by character, as well. I'll try the previous version of jaws but to be honest, this is not the problem since the latest version of 2019 worked fine up to a couple weeks ago. There has been nothing added to this pc during this tenure to be the cause. I just have run out of ideas and with work, just do not hae time to go through the web finding hopeful fixes. Thanks nevertheless

I just use speech history, insert plus space bar followed by h.

On 7/23/2019 05:19, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

Richard Turner

Well, the FS tech is wrong, as I can do that using the latest version of Jaws 2019.
I use Firefox, if that makes any difference.
I hope you find a work around.
This is the kind of thing that makes me crazier than I already am. Things stop working that used to work, for no apparent reason.

Check out my web site at: https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cc508bd73ceff443a804108d70fbebfb5%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636995184242811070&amp;sdata=6xnmhCE%2FF%2FP7OAIUft1aNIP6wITZ79H%2FHRgP4%2BUgCRI%3D&amp;reserved=0 “The Hitch Hiker's Guide to
[...]

A possible workaround, and that's all it is, would be doing a copy of the link and pasting it in to Notepad, or a similar text editor, where it is not automatically "linkified."

URLs are treated like any other string of characters in a text editor.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Bill White

Hi, Rick. You might want to use JAWS key plus six on the numbers row, do a search for Smart Navigation, and make sure this is off.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

[...]

FS told you that arrowing through a link by character is not possible? They are mistaken as I and others do it all the time. Got to wonder about tech support sometimes. I have been using Jaws for 25 years and dont remember ever having a problem doing that. A link is just ASCII text with some markup.
I know you are frustrated but what is more important to you? being able to get the form filled out or trying to fight a temperamental PC? Jaws 17 may work or it may not but at this point nothing else is working and that is the last option. Well, You did say smart navigation is disabled right?

On 7/23/2019 3:40 PM, Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

Yes, smart navigation disabled. I know I used to go through links character by character and now not possible/able. This is a problem with all browsers just as the headache with indeed.com now not working... Where do I find the windows repair option? This will be my last option to attempt. No, previous jaws programs will surely be as troubled with recetnt/up-to-date browsers etc. Some sort of setting is causing this I just know it... But which one of hundreds is it? Yes, very frustrating with the problems and the quick get you off the phone statements by FS tech. What to do, what to do?

Thank you again...

Rick

I just use speech history, insert plus space bar followed by h.

On 7/23/2019 05:19, Rick Mladek wrote:
Hello again,

I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance lol.

Going through the internet this morning, I'm attempting to read links character by character to truly know what the link is before I click on it or when an individual's name, to know the correct spelling. I attempt to go arrow key character by character but it only reads the entire link. What setting do I need to reset to allow links to read by character and not by the whole name? I went through default settings and could not figure this out, also the quick settings.

Thanks again and hope not to be a bother,

Rick

Rick Mladek

Hi Bill, yes, smart navigation mode is off. Thanks...

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 08:30 PM, Rick Mladek wrote:
Where do I find the windows repair option?
Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Rick Mladek

Why wouldn’t I simply put in the Windows 10 CD and do a repair or simply save everything and do a clean install? This option, I have many concerns with all that could easily be at risk with dealing with ISO files. Is there not something within the Windows 10 OS that allows a repair function? Odd, if not...

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 08:30 PM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Where do I find the windows repair option?

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

         ~ Eric Hoffer

If you fear the ISO that you download yourself, directly from Microsoft, then I can't help you.

The reset function in Windows 10 allows only 2 options:  keeping one's user data files or keeping nothing.

I presume that most people want to keep their files and apps, thus the repair install.  There is nothing safer than material sourced directly from Microsoft.  It's up to you whether you want to proceed or not.  But I have given an expert opinion as well as step-by-step instructions, and I won't be changing either.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

The Iowa Gal <iowagal728@...>

I wonder if a system restore might be in order prior to a Windows repair. Maybe I’m confused, but didn’t the problems start happening a couple weeks ago? Restoring to a point prior might help, just throwing out an idea. HTH Norma