Topics

moderated Jaws 2019 blocking desktop shortcut keystrokes

Richard Turner

Greetings,

I have done a clean install of both Jaws 2019, and Jaws 2018 on my Windows home 64 bit dell laptop.

If Jaws 2019 is running, the shortcut keystrokes I have set for my various programs do not work.  IE, alt+shift+o for Outlook.

But, if I unload Jaws 2019 and run Jaws 2018 and press alt+shift+o Outlook opens.

These are the latest versions of both Jaws editions.

I obviously like some of the features in Jaws 2019, but will be running Jaws 2018 for the most part unless I can resolve this bloody annoying issue.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

Bill White

I have been having this same problem, mainly with the Internet Explorer shortcut. In order to get it to work, I have to arrow to the shortcut and press ENTER on the shortcut. The hotkey assignment refuses to work much of the time.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:06 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Jaws 2019 blocking desktop shortcut keystrokes

Greetings,

I have done a clean install of both Jaws 2019, and Jaws 2018 on my Windows home 64 bit dell laptop.

If Jaws 2019 is running, the shortcut keystrokes I have set for my various programs do not work.  IE, alt+shift+o for Outlook.

But, if I unload Jaws 2019 and run Jaws 2018 and press alt+shift+o Outlook opens.

I obviously like some of the features in Jaws 2019, but will be running Jaws 2018 for the most part unless I can resolve this bloody annoying issue.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

Richard Turner

Well, they say misery loves company.  Good to know I’m not the only one.

The strange thing is, at work, with a similar setup, only it is Windows 10 Pro, the shortcut keystrokes work with Jaws 2019.

Not with my Windows 10 home…

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws 2019 blocking desktop shortcut keystrokes

I have been having this same problem, mainly with the Internet Explorer shortcut. In order to get it to work, I have to arrow to the shortcut and press ENTER on the shortcut. The hotkey assignment refuses to work much of the time.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

Richard Turner

Another odd thing is using the bypass key, insert+3 doesn’t work either.

It is like Jaws 2019 on Windows 10 home just simply blocks those desktop shortcut keys.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:21 AM

The strange thing is, at work, with a similar setup, only it is Windows 10 Pro, the shortcut keystrokes work with Jaws 2019.

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

Mike Rogers

Just t4ried mine, with J19 and Chrome. It is working.

www.harmonicaworkshops.com

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 15:21:22 +0000
"Richard Turner" <richardturner42@...> wrote:

Well, they say misery loves company. Good to know I'm not the only one.
Not with my Windows 10 home...

Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com<http://www.turner42.com>
"The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

Bill White
billwhite92701@...<mailto:billwhite92701@...>

From: main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
To: jfw@groups.io<mailto:jfw@groups.io>

Greetings,

If Jaws 2019 is running, the shortcut keystrokes I have set for my various programs do not work. IE, alt+shift+o for Outlook.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com&data=02%7C01%7C%7C8b4f18f2b6534bd8a42c08d70dee7e27%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993190277020450&sdata=oNXnd%2B8%2FNvX%2FA%2FdlgaAUuwNh2dZiNuMrn3yoLoCMS6E%3D&reserved=0>
"The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

ann

Hi,

I am also having this problem, but i'm not sure if it is due to the latest version of Jaws. It also happens with Narrator and NVDA.

I also can't seem to create a shortcut hotkey or at least not the one I want to create. For instance, pressing Alt+Enter to get in to a shortcut properties, then tabbing to the Hotkey field, and when I enter the Hotkey sequence of
alt+Shift+Control+f, then Apply it and press Ok. I go back to check and the Hotkey has not been created at all.

I wonder if it is some kind of weird annoying Windows 10 Home security issue that is causing all these problems?
I am running latest version of Windows 10 Home.

~Ann

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 12:42 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

It is like Jaws 2019 on Windows 10 home just simply blocks those desktop shortcut keys.

Richard

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

netbat66

are you logging on as a standard user?
i am finding that icon shortcuts i make or change will not work unless i log on as the administrator. then the icon shortcuts i make will stick and work on the icons when i log back on as a standard user.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:05 AM

Hi,

I am also having this problem, but i'm not sure if it is due to the latest version of Jaws. It also happens with Narrator and NVDA.

I also can't seem to create a shortcut hotkey or at least not the one I want to create. For instance, pressing Alt+Enter to get in to a shortcut properties, then tabbing to the Hotkey field, and when I enter the Hotkey sequence of
alt+Shift+Control+f, then Apply it and press Ok. I go back to check and the Hotkey has not been created at all.

I wonder if it is some kind of weird annoying Windows 10 Home security issue that is causing all these problems?

~Ann

Richard

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

Well, they say misery loves company. Good to know I’m not the only one.

Richard

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Greetings,

If Jaws 2019 is running, the shortcut keystrokes I have set for my various programs do not work. IE, alt+shift+o for Outlook.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

Richard Turner

In my case, I'm the only user, and am on the one account, which has full administrative rights.
Since the shortcuts work with Jaws 2018, but not 2019, this is definitely a Jaws issue.

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)
www.turner42.com

On Jul 21, 2019, at 10:21 AM, netbat66 <netbat66@...> wrote:

i am finding that icon shortcuts i make or change will not work unless i log on as the administrator. then the icon shortcuts i make will stick and work on the icons when i log back on as a standard user.

-----Original Message----- From: ann

Hi,

~Ann

Richard

Check out my web site at: https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cedb11ef4922d42dcc87b08d70dffe129%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993264946693313&amp;sdata=a0%2FO9SX4ajmdFTP32blALZ%2B4AAoHv%2F0mVo6VO%2FEkYfk%3D&amp;reserved=0

Richard

Check out my web site at: https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cedb11ef4922d42dcc87b08d70dffe129%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993264946703330&amp;sdata=pZ5Yolsm%2BKyrbaUNm0auCRV9whgJkLROw9U%2Bi43Fej8%3D&amp;reserved=0

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

Check out my web site at: https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cedb11ef4922d42dcc87b08d70dffe129%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993264946703330&amp;sdata=pZ5Yolsm%2BKyrbaUNm0auCRV9whgJkLROw9U%2Bi43Fej8%3D&amp;reserved=0

I know this is a work-around or a different way of doing things and not a solution to the specific issue, but why not put your main applications on the taskbar where you can access them with Windows Key + Number, e.g. if Google Chrome or IE is in the first position on your taskbar Windows Key + 1 will open/activate it, if Outlook is in second place Windows Key + 2 will work here etc. These are reliable and give you the added advantage that if for an application like Excel or Word you can open the application with Windows Key + corresponding number, but you can also bring up the program's jumplist with Alt + Windows Key + corresponding number. I, for example, always have at least half a dozen spreadsheets or so pinned to my jumplist in Excel and this way I can open any one of them quickly and easily.
If you have an app like Notepad pinned on the taskbar you can also use Shift + Windows Key + corresponding number to open a new instance of the application. For example, let's say I have Notepad in fourth place, I press Windows Key + 4 to open it. Now let's say I want another instance of Notepad in addition to the one I already started, I just press Shift + Windows Key + 4 and a new instance of Notepad opens.
Having said all this, I just put Outlook on my desktop and created the shortcut Control + Shift + O and it worked for me without a problem. I have also a shortcut for my Synology Drive which opens the folder on my hard drive where I sync the files on my Synology NAS to and it is Control + Alt + D and it's been working fine now for many month.
My Jaws shortcut, Control + Shift + J also works.
I think these are all the shortcuts I have since for all my applications I use the taskbar shortcuts as described above.

Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:24 AM

In my case, I'm the only user, and am on the one account, which has full administrative rights.
Since the shortcuts work with Jaws 2018, but not 2019, this is definitely a Jaws issue.

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
www.turner42.com

Hi,

I also can't seem to create a shortcut hotkey or at least not the one
I want to create. For instance, pressing Alt+Enter to get in to a
shortcut properties, then tabbing to the Hotkey field, and when I
enter the Hotkey sequence of

~Ann

Richard

Check out my web site at:
https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&a
mp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cedb11ef4922d42dcc87b08d70dffe129%7C84df9e7fe9f640
afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993264946693313&amp;sdata=a0%2FO9SX4aj
mdFTP32blALZ%2B4AAoHv%2F0mVo6VO%2FEkYfk%3D&amp;reserved=0

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject
of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and
miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard
Turner

Richard

afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993264946703330&amp;sdata=pZ5Yolsm%2BK
yrbaUNm0auCRV9whgJkLROw9U%2Bi43Fej8%3D&amp;reserved=0

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Richard Turner

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

Richard Turner

Thanks Sieghard, but as you say that doesn't solve/answer the issue at hand; but is a good work around.
It is just that one shouldn't have to do a work around for something this basic.

Richard

www.turner42.com

On Jul 21, 2019, at 2:02 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <@Sieghard> wrote:

I know this is a work-around or a different way of doing things and not a solution to the specific issue, but why not put your main applications on the taskbar where you can access them with Windows Key + Number, e.g. if Google Chrome or IE is in the first position on your taskbar Windows Key + 1 will open/activate it, if Outlook is in second place Windows Key + 2 will work here etc. These are reliable and give you the added advantage that if for an application like Excel or Word you can open the application with Windows Key + corresponding number, but you can also bring up the program's jumplist with Alt + Windows Key + corresponding number. I, for example, always have at least half a dozen spreadsheets or so pinned to my jumplist in Excel and this way I can open any one of them quickly and easily.
If you have an app like Notepad pinned on the taskbar you can also use Shift + Windows Key + corresponding number to open a new instance of the application. For example, let's say I have Notepad in fourth place, I press Windows Key + 4 to open it. Now let's say I want another instance of Notepad in addition to the one I already started, I just press Shift + Windows Key + 4 and a new instance of Notepad opens.
Having said all this, I just put Outlook on my desktop and created the shortcut Control + Shift + O and it worked for me without a problem. I have also a shortcut for my Synology Drive which opens the folder on my hard drive where I sync the files on my Synology NAS to and it is Control + Alt + D and it's been working fine now for many month.
I think these are all the shortcuts I have since for all my applications I use the taskbar shortcuts as described above.

Richard

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C2c8654fca7be4c5427fb08d70e1eafaa%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993397265030528&amp;sdata=FNBnUfok8zHX%2F5RZpRFBiqWqmWq%2F8xBvnxoxh%2B2A9%2Fg%3D&amp;reserved=0

Hi,

~Ann

Richard

afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993264946693313&amp;sdata=a0%2FO9SX4aj

Turner

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Richard Turner

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

As I said, it's interesting that shortcuts for me seem to work fine and as somebody else said, they experience this also with NVDA and Narrator so it may not be Jaws.
On the other hand while one shouldn't have to employ such work-arounds, in this case I think the work-around is a much better solution

Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 2:12 PM

Thanks Sieghard, but as you say that doesn't solve/answer the issue at hand; but is a good work around.
It is just that one shouldn't have to do a work around for something this basic.

Richard

www.turner42.com

On Jul 21, 2019, at 2:02 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <@Sieghard> wrote:

Turner

Richard

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&a
mp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C2c8654fca7be4c5427fb08d70e1eafaa%7C84df9e7fe9f640
afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993397265030528&amp;sdata=FNBnUfok8zHX
%2F5RZpRFBiqWqmWq%2F8xBvnxoxh%2B2A9%2Fg%3D&amp;reserved=0

Hi,

~Ann

Richard

https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&
a
mp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cedb11ef4922d42dcc87b08d70dffe129%7C84df9e7fe9f64
afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993264946693313&amp;sdata=a0%2FO9SX4a
j

Turner

Richard

a
afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993264946703330&amp;sdata=pZ5Yolsm%2B
K

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Richard Turner

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

a
afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993264946703330&amp;sdata=pZ5Yolsm%2B
K

ann

Hi,

I also just have the one account, and though I thought it was a standard one, I find that it is actually set to Administrator.

Someone suggested pinning a shortcut to the Taskbar, and this is  a great idea. I already have this set up for a few applications. But, how would one go about pinning a Web Document shortcut, which is just a shortcut containing a link to a web site,,why MS has to be so fancy with it's name I don't know, to the Taskbar so the Windows+numbers key s would work?

~Ann

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 01:23 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

Richard

www.turner42.com

Hi,

~Ann

Richard

Check out my web site at: https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cedb11ef4922d42dcc87b08d70dffe129%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636993264946693313&amp;sdata=a0%2FO9SX4ajmdFTP32blALZ%2B4AAoHv%2F0mVo6VO%2FEkYfk%3D&amp;reserved=0

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

Chris Hill

You should be able to pin anything on the desktop to the taskbar by hitting the applications key on it.  You can even put something on the desktop, pin it to the taskbar, then move it somewhere else, and it may still work.

On 7/21/2019 18:49, ann wrote:
Hi,

I also just have the one account, and though I thought it was a standard one, I find that it is actually set to Administrator.

Someone suggested pinning a shortcut to the Taskbar, and this is  a great idea. I already have this set up for a few applications. But, how would one go about pinning a Web Document shortcut, which is just a shortcut containing a link to a web site,,why MS has to be so fancy with it's name I don't know, to the Taskbar so the Windows+numbers key s would work?

~Ann

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 01:23 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

Richard

www.turner42.com

Hi,

~Ann

Richard

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

Van Lant, Robin

Here at work, my shortcuts are working, including my Internet Explorer shortcut. I’m running the May update on JAWS here on Windows 10.  At home I up running the latest JAWS on Windows 10 and have noticed that my Internet Explorer shortcut wasn’t working , but hadn’t really looked into it.  I’ll go run some testing on it tonight. I cannot recall if my other shortcuts are working, largely because those programs just sit open.

Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:17 AM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Randy Barnett

You can get a pro license for 3 dollars on eBay. These are legitimate licenses and I had no issues what so ever with them. If this fixes your issue that would be worth 3 dollars.

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

Randy Barnett

you only need to press the last key in that field.  The alt + ctrl are the default and cant be changed so just pressing F for example will be alt + ctrl + F

On 7/21/2019 10:05 AM, ann wrote:

Hi,

~Ann

Richard

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard

Randy Barnett

Well it is happening with NVDA and Narrator too... So it may be more complicated then that.

On 7/21/2019 10:23 AM, Richard Turner wrote:

Richard

www.turner42.com

Hi,

~Ann

Richard

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Greetings,

Thanks for any thoughts,

Richard