Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:34 AM
Subject: adobe acrobat reader dc and jaws issues

I thought I would try adobe acrobat reader dc, latest version. My adobe acrobat pro English is a few years old, version 5.5., but when I try to load a pdf, and then select that and load, it goes into like a web based or cloud, and jaws just sees it as blank. If I try to do a insert o, d for document, says ocr failed. So not sure why. Why is that, and not reading it that great and do have the google chrome extension. Maybe ray, can help. This is weird.

Anyone had this issue with adobe acrobat reader dc, current free version and got it from the official adobe site.

Marvin.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Marvin.

1. Open Adobe Reader.

2. Press ALT plus K for Preferences.

3. Arrow down to Security (Enhanced, (not just Security)

4. TAB to Enable Protected Mode at startup, and make sure it is unchecked.

5. Answer “Yes” to the prompt which warns you that, Disabling Protected Mode requires you to restart Adobe Reader.

6. TAB to, Enable Enhanced Security, and make sure this is also unchecked.

7. TAB to the OK button, and press it.

8. Restart Adobe Reader.

Now you should be able to see the content of PDF files in Adobe Reader.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I thought I would try adobe acrobat reader dc, latest version. My adobe acrobat pro English is a few years old, version 5.5., but when I try to load a pdf, and then select that and load, it goes into like a web based or cloud, and jaws just sees it as blank. If I try to do a insert o, d for document, says ocr failed. So not sure why. Why is that, and not reading it that great and do have the google chrome extension. Maybe ray, can help. This is weird.

Anyone had this issue with adobe acrobat reader dc, current free version and got it from the official adobe site.

Marvin.

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Marvin,

There is a security setting in Adobe Reader that you need to disable. Go to Adobe preferences by pressing CTRL + K. In the list of preferences, look for "Security, (enhanced)". Tab to where it says "enable enhanced Security" and uncheck it. You can use first letter navigation in this list, so press "S" till you get to "Security (Enhanced). Try that and if it doesn't work, there is also a setting to "Enable protected mode at startup" in the Security (Enhanced) preference. Try unchecking this as well. I can't recall if both settings need to be unchecked , and I am on my Mac at the moment so can't check.

Hope this helps

Russell

On Jul 21, 2019, at 2:34 AM, Marvin Hunkin <startrekvoyager@...> wrote:

I thought I would try adobe acrobat reader dc, latest version. My adobe acrobat pro English is a few years old, version 5.5., but when I try to load a pdf, and then select that and load, it goes into like a web based or cloud, and jaws just sees it as blank. If I try to do a insert o, d for document, says ocr failed. So not sure why. Why is that, and not reading it that great and do have the google chrome extension. Maybe ray, can help. This is weird.
Anyone had this issue with adobe acrobat reader dc, current free version and got it from the official adobe site.
Marvin.

And just to add to this, in the latest version of Jaws this is no longer necessary, but if you use Jaws 2018 or an earlier version of Jaws 2019 you may have to do this.

I thought I would try adobe acrobat reader dc, latest version. My adobe acrobat pro English is a few years old, version 5.5., but when I try to load a pdf, and then select that and load, it goes into like a web based or cloud, and jaws just sees it as blank. If I try to do a insert o, d for document, says ocr failed. So not sure why. Why is that, and not reading it that great and do have the google chrome extension. Maybe ray, can help. This is weird.

Anyone had this issue with adobe acrobat reader dc, current free version and got it from the official adobe site.

Marvin.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

This is incorrect. I am using the latest version of JAWS, and I still needed to disable protected mode in Acrobat Adobe reader.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

And just to add to this, in the latest version of Jaws this is no longer necessary, but if you use Jaws 2018 or an earlier version of Jaws 2019 you may have to do this.

I thought I would try adobe acrobat reader dc, latest version. My adobe acrobat pro English is a few years old, version 5.5., but when I try to load a pdf, and then select that and load, it goes into like a web based or cloud, and jaws just sees it as blank. If I try to do a insert o, d for document, says ocr failed. So not sure why. Why is that, and not reading it that great and do have the google chrome extension. Maybe ray, can help. This is weird.

Anyone had this issue with adobe acrobat reader dc, current free version and got it from the official adobe site.

Marvin.

inamuddin khan

I respectfully disagree with you because I’m using latest version of JAWS, but the workaround was necessary for me.

Charlsdarwin1

You can contact me via gmail:

inamuddin09@...

outlook:

inam092@...

yahoo:

inamuddin2010@...

AOL:

charlsdarwin1969@...

Join me with my Skype ID:

charlsdarwin1

See me on facebook:

www.facebook.com/inamuddin786

Follow me on my twitter:

www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1

Mobile phone:

+92-334-3348409

Google voice:

+1-631-5335683

And just to add to this, in the latest version of Jaws this is no longer necessary, but if you use Jaws 2018 or an earlier version of Jaws 2019 you may have to do this.

I thought I would try adobe acrobat reader dc, latest version. My adobe acrobat pro English is a few years old, version 5.5., but when I try to load a pdf, and then select that and load, it goes into like a web based or cloud, and jaws just sees it as blank. If I try to do a insert o, d for document, says ocr failed. So not sure why. Why is that, and not reading it that great and do have the google chrome extension. Maybe ray, can help. This is weird.

Anyone had this issue with adobe acrobat reader dc, current free version and got it from the official adobe site.

Marvin.

Sorry, I may have gotten this confused with one of the Betas and I apologize for that, sometimes I think something was already part of the latest public release when in fact it was not.

And just to add to this, in the latest version of Jaws this is no longer necessary, but if you use Jaws 2018 or an earlier version of Jaws 2019 you may have to do this.

I thought I would try adobe acrobat reader dc, latest version. My adobe acrobat pro English is a few years old, version 5.5., but when I try to load a pdf, and then select that and load, it goes into like a web based or cloud, and jaws just sees it as blank. If I try to do a insert o, d for document, says ocr failed. So not sure why. Why is that, and not reading it that great and do have the google chrome extension. Maybe ray, can help. This is weird.

Anyone had this issue with adobe acrobat reader dc, current free version and got it from the official adobe site.

Marvin.

Marlo Green

Good morning to All

               I am not a new member but enjoy reading all of your posts so much I don’t know if Ihave ever introduced myself. I am Marlo and I live in California. I am a blind JFW user of course, smiley!

Getting down to the matter of my message, I am having a problem with Acrobat reader DC and Jaws 2018. Can someone help me straighten this out. I need to read PDF’s for my job and am having a bit of an issue.

And just to add to this, in the latest version of Jaws this is no longer necessary, but if you use Jaws 2018 or an earlier version of Jaws 2019 you may have to do this.

I thought I would try adobe acrobat reader dc, latest version. My adobe acrobat pro English is a few years old, version 5.5., but when I try to load a pdf, and then select that and load, it goes into like a web based or cloud, and jaws just sees it as blank. If I try to do a insert o, d for document, says ocr failed. So not sure why. Why is that, and not reading it that great and do have the google chrome extension. Maybe ray, can help. This is weird.

Anyone had this issue with adobe acrobat reader dc, current free version and got it from the official adobe site.

Marvin.

Marlo Green

Good morning

I am having a problem with these directions as my acrobat reader DC does not have a preferences menu. Wher can I find this? I tried to open the program and it gave me options to find pdf’s that are in the program, of which I have no idea how they got there. I need some help please.

[...]

It would help if you described what your issue is.

[...]

Sorry, didn’t see your second message.

Preferences is in the Edit menu, it is the last item so if you press Alt + E and then up arrow once you’ll be there or you can use Control + K which is the keyboard shortcut for Preferences.

[...]

Randy Barnett

If the pdf is created using a scanned image you wont be able to read it. You can try to OCR it but that is hit or miss at best. This is a known issue with pdf's and nothing can be done about it.