From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:07 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Problem with the Windows key

Hello,

I usually press the windows key, then the letter I and then enter to get on the internet.  This evening, when I press the windows key it will not allow me to type the letter I, or any other letter for that matter.

Using windows 10 and Jaws 18.

I can’t access the internet right now so any help would be greatly appreciated …… thank you in advance.

Laura

Laura Richardson

The Windows key or the Windows key + S brings up the search box but it will not allow me to type anything in that box.

Laura

Try and see if Windows + S brings  up the search box.

I usually press the windows key, then the letter I and then enter to get on the internet.  This evening, when I press the windows key it will not allow me to type the letter I, or any other letter for that matter.

Using windows 10 and Jaws 18.

I can’t access the internet right now so any help would be greatly appreciated …… thank you in advance.

Laura

Dan Longmore

 Try the arrow upkeep, sometimes this triggers the edit box.

The Windows key or the Windows key + S brings up the search box but it will not allow me to type anything in that box.

Laura

Try and see if Windows + S brings  up the search box.

I usually press the windows key, then the letter I and then enter to get on the internet.  This evening, when I press the windows key it will not allow me to type the letter I, or any other letter for that matter.

Using windows 10 and Jaws 18.

I can’t access the internet right now so any help would be greatly appreciated …… thank you in advance.

Laura

Gene Stevens

Why not simply put a shortcut for Internet Explorer on the desktop and access it that way?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The Windows key or the Windows key + S brings up the search box but it will not allow me to type anything in that box.

Laura

Try and see if Windows + S brings  up the search box.

I usually press the windows key, then the letter I and then enter to get on the internet.  This evening, when I press the windows key it will not allow me to type the letter I, or any other letter for that matter.

Using windows 10 and Jaws 18.

I can’t access the internet right now so any help would be greatly appreciated …… thank you in advance.

Laura

Gerald Levy

Another option for restoring the functionality of the search box is to download Classic Shell, which works with Windows 10.

Gerald

On 7/18/2019 9:25 AM, Gene Stevens wrote:

Why not simply put a shortcut for Internet Explorer on the desktop and access it that way?

??

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

??

Try and see if Windows + S brings?? up the search box.

??

??

I usually press the windows key, then the letter I and then enter to get on the internet.?? This evening, when I press the windows key it will not allow me to type the letter I, or any other letter for that matter.

??

Using windows 10 and Jaws 18.

??

I can???t access the internet right now so any help would be greatly appreciated ?????? thank you in advance. ??

??

Laura

??

??

Gerald Levy

The July security update for Windows 10 may have broken the search box on some computers, as it apparently did on mine, but as I discovered, fixing it is not that simple.?? So I was able to restore its functionality by installing Classic Shell:

https://www.fosshub.com/Classic-Shell.html

Gerald

On 7/18/2019 9:30 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

It does nothing when I try to arrow up or down.  When I check the title bar it says Kertana (not sure about that spelling).

Laura

 Try the arrow upkeep, sometimes this triggers the edit box.

The Windows key or the Windows key + S brings up the search box but it will not allow me to type anything in that box.

Laura

Try and see if Windows + S brings  up the search box.

I usually press the windows key, then the letter I and then enter to get on the internet.  This evening, when I press the windows key it will not allow me to type the letter I, or any other letter for that matter.

Using windows 10 and Jaws 18.

I can’t access the internet right now so any help would be greatly appreciated …… thank you in advance.

Laura

Laura Richardson

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  That worked.  Fortunately, there was already an icon on the desktop …… I have no clue how to create a shortcut for the desktop.  Yes, I still have a lot to learn.

This list is great!  Thanks to everybody!

Laura

[...]

Have you tried to press the Windows key a second time? On my laptop I sometimes just hear “Cortana”, but the search box does not seem to come up. If I press escape and then press the Windows Key again I always seem to get the search box.

[...]

Another option is using the explicit Search keyboard shortcut, which is WinKey+S.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Steve Nutt

Hi Laura,

Try closing and reopening JAWS.

All the best

Steve

It does nothing when I try to arrow up or down.  When I check the title bar it says Kertana (not sure about that spelling).

Laura

 Try the arrow upkeep, sometimes this triggers the edit box.

The Windows key or the Windows key + S brings up the search box but it will not allow me to type anything in that box.

Laura

Try and see if Windows + S brings  up the search box.

I usually press the windows key, then the letter I and then enter to get on the internet.  This evening, when I press the windows key it will not allow me to type the letter I, or any other letter for that matter.

Using windows 10 and Jaws 18.

I can’t access the internet right now so any help would be greatly appreciated …… thank you in advance.

Laura

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

I find that to be more reliable than just pressing the Windows key.

All the best

Steve