moderated New Dropbox Navigation

Mike B.

Howdy All,

I just ran into an issue with Dropbox where it wouldn't let me acces my files.  Well, it turned out that it wanted to update and after downloading the installer and reinstalling Dropbox navigating the folders flat out sucked, so here's how to change the necessary setting for easier navigation.

1. Open Dropbox from the system tray, tab to, Access and Manage your Dropbox settings button, and press enter.

2. Now tab to, Preferences, and press enter.

3. On the General tab, tab to the, Open folders in Dropbox combobox, open this combobox and choose the, Explorer, option.  With Jaws you can open this combobox with Alt + down arrow and then up arrow to the Explorer option and press enter to close the combobox.  Now tab to, Okay, and press enter to save and close preferences.
Note:  This can act a little tricky so it might take a couple of attempts to get the Explorer settings change to stick.
If you have a shortcut key that opens Dropbox options, after you openDropbox up arrow to, Preferences, press enter and follow step 3 from above.

Sharon

If you don’t have a dropbox account, but do download files from other people, does any of this apply?

Sharon

[...]

Hi Sharon,

N, it doesn't.

[...]

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Sharon/all,

No, the posted link is entirely independent of whether you have an account. However, for reasons of facilitating the download, I usually changed the last digit of the pasted link to 1 instead of 0, which means the download takes immediate effect once the recipient has clicked on the link.

                Cheers,

                                                                Takis

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

No, it doesn’t apply if you don’t have the Dropbox app on your machine.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Jed Barton

Hey guys.

So a question on the new dropbox app. It appears to be useless. When
i run it, i don't see anything. Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Jed

On 7/18/19, Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:
[...]

It's sounds like it's trying to update.  If you have Dropbox showing in the system tray, what version is it?

On 7/18/19, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:
> No, it doesn't apply if you don't have the Dropbox app on your machine.
>
> Bill White
> billwhite92701@...

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I have found that you need to click the DB icon on the desktop (assuming you have put one there) twice. The first click just launches the program and starts it synchronizing. Then, you must wait until it is ready (up to date) as reported in its icon in the systems tray. Then, you click the desktop icon once again; which actually launches the application.

Best,
Richard

[...]

Curtis Delzer

I did not ssee that option in the general menu. hmm! are they changing again, this is the 25th of July now? :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...
On 7/17/2019 5:36 PM, Mike B wrote:

[...]

Hi Curtis/all,

They seem to. I lost a vital file the other day and, since I have everything of importance on dropbox, I wanted to trace my deleted files. I went into my dropbox account, but when files turned up, I was unable to trace the “show deleted files” option, I used to find. It was frustrating, but fortunatel for me, it occurred to me that the actual file on my dropbox files, I mean the ones I access straight by entering from the desktop icon, had a rather altered name, and I thus got to it within seconds. Nothing had disappeared, but who knows if I will be able to trace the deleted files next time.

                                Cheers,

                                                                Takis

[...]

I have tried doing the operation as described below to get DB to open in Windows Explorer, like how the older version worked.  However, so far I have not been successful at making this setting stick.  Is there some trick to try, or some other way of accomplishing this?

Thanks,

Richard

[...]

Maybe call Microsoft Accessibility and see if they can  help you to get it changed.

[...]

Alternatively just delete the Dropbox shortcut from your desktop and create a new shortcut which points to your Dropbox folder.

[...]

Thanks for your below.  Could you please provide specific instructions how to do this?  Deleting the shortcut from my desktop (Windows 7) is pretty straight forward, but the part about creating a new one is a little murky; particularly as regards just how it would login to my DB account?  Or, maybe I am over-thinking this, and it is more simple?

Thanks,

Richard

[...]

Hi Richard,

To create a desktop shortcut to your Dropbox folder try the following if your Dropbox folder is in its default location:
1. Press, Windows key + R, to open the Run dialogue.
2. Type a single period like you would put at the end of a sentence and press enter.  This will take you to your User name folder.
3. Navigate to your, Dropbox, folder and with your Dropbox folder highlighted open the context menu with the applications key or shift + F10.
4. Navigate to, SendTo, press enter, now down arrow to, Desktop create shortcut, and press enter.  Wham bam you now have the shortcut on your desktop.