Topics

moderated How do you activate the Windows key to search for something with JAWS on a Focus keyboard?

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I’m currently running the latest version of both Windows 10 and JAWS 2019, and I’d really like to know how in the world you do this on a Focus Perkins braille keyboard.  All I want to do is to do a search in Windows for something, such as adding a Bluetooth connection.  On a regular QWERTY keyboard, all I do is just press and release the Windows key, and I’m in the search field.  On the Focus, however, when I enter the Windows key command, it waits for me to issue another keystroke to do something.  The ALT keys are the same way.  All I want to do is hit these keys and have them by themselves do something, rather than be key modifiers.  How do I do this?  Help!

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Kevin and Jilly

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

One way to achieve this is to use the Keyboard Manager, find the script called StartMenu, and assign a braille key to it.

Dean

I’m currently running the latest version of both Windows 10 and JAWS 2019, and I’d really like to know how in the world you do this on a Focus Perkins braille keyboard.  All I want to do is to do a search in Windows for something, such as adding a Bluetooth connection.  On a regular QWERTY keyboard, all I do is just press and release the Windows key, and I’m in the search field.  On the Focus, however, when I enter the Windows key command, it waits for me to issue another keystroke to do something.  The ALT keys are the same way.  All I want to do is hit these keys and have them by themselves do something, rather than be key modifiers.  How do I do this?  Help!

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Kevin and Jilly

Les Kriegler

Another way is to type right shift with dot 4. Then you can type in your
search query

Les

[...]

As everybody knows, there's more than one way to skin a cat, although that cat might not like it. Anyway, Dean got me thinking about how to access the Start menu. In current versions of Windows, just hitting the Windows key by itself will do this. However, I go back way back when Windows 3.1 was out, and I had a PC XT that ran DOS 3.0. Anybody remember how the books about DOS said how great EDLIN was? For you newer folks, trust me, it was horrible. Anyway, when Windows 95 came out, the start button was introduced. You could, like all current Windows flavors, use a mouse or other kind of interface where you just activate that button and the Start menu came up. However, for us happy DOS users, Windows still did, and does now, carried much of the keyboard commands to activate the icons and buttons on the screen. Deans note reminded me of just such a key combo. If your keyboard doesn't have a Windows key on it, never fear. Just hit CTRL+ESC, and that nice little search edit box appears. I'm willing to bet Jilly's next kibble that this will also work on the Focus input as well. I don't have my Focus 40 Blue yet, but either at the end of the month or the very beginning of the next I'll get one, and I'll try to once again learn how the goofy input works. It's not hard to do, because I did it in about 15 minutes using the key describer mode in JAWS.

That's it from me. Thanks, Dean, for you jogging my memory. Now, if I can figure out a way to simulate hitting the ALT key so I can get into the top level of the menu structure, I'll be really happy. I think there's a way to do this, but I don't remember how to do it.

Have a blessed day, and don't work too hard.

Kevin and Jilly