Topics

moderated Some braille questions

David Csercsics

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, and I don't intend to start a flame war or anything of the sort, but I have a couple questions. I have a Brailliant BI 40, and I prefer to use braille for everything. The main thing I'm having trouble with finding out is the state of Jaws refreshable braille support. I'm currently using NVDA with the braille extender add-on, and it seems to do quite a lot. Jaws braille support looks quite good, but I wonder which things it does differently or possibly better than my current setup. I read quite a lot of different things, some of which are quite technical, i.e. math, logic, computer science, philosophy and that sort of thing, so I was wondering if a Jaws subscription would be  worth the trouble, or not. The difference isn't obvious just playing with it. Yes, a lot has to do with personal preference but I was just wondering if I'd missed something. I've always heard that Jaws had the best braille support of any of the screen readers and I've decided to look at it and see what's up. Also, for those that use braille a lot, do you find it helpful to have an extra display to carry around? The BI 40 seems to be reasonably compact for a 40-cell display and seems to work well, but sometimes I do a lot of traveling, and wondered if a smaller display would be worth the trouble. I have large hands though and I like the 40 cell displays a lot: I find it's a good size. But again, was there something I didn't consider? I have an iphone 8 plus, which I quite like for reading books when I'm out, but do these newer smaller displays have anything I'd care about, or would I just end up wearing out the panning buttons and my hands? Thank you for reading this.

Marianne Denning

I don't like to use the small braille displays for reading books. 12 or 14 cells aren't enough cells for heavy reading. I take my FOcus 40 with me as a portable Braille display and it works great.

I can't answer your other question since I have never used NVDA.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Michael Mote

Hi David. I am relatively new to using Braille with my I Device, and I can tell you that using a 40 cell display is probably the best solution, mainly because smaller displays would require to pan a lot as you indicated in your message.
As far as JAWS support, it always seems to work better with the Focus models, but that is to be expected considering they make the Focus line of displays. However, I have used different brands of braille displays, and if you take the time to read how to set them up, you can make them work very well. JAWS has played nice with the other braille display models that I have tested. The important thing to remember is to make sure you follow the manufacturers recommended set up instructions. If they say you need to install a driver, by all means, do so.

[...]

Yes, that's a bit what I figured. I find that anything less than 40 cells can be a bit troublesome for serious reading, but I wondered if that's because I have large hands, or something else. Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably just pack the Brailliant around then, since it seems to be a really durable display and works well. No worries about the other questions, I know this is a bit of an odd thing to ask, I'm just looking at how to be more productive and get the most out of my hardware and figured that here would be a good place to ask. It is a JAWS list though, and so if you were intimately familiar with JAWS, there would be no reason to use NVDA. I'm just asking before I attempt to renew my    license after years away from the product. The braille support looks really impressive for a few things though, I just need to get through the learning curve.

David Csercsics

Yes, I'll stick with the display I have then, since I really quite like it. Humanware has good documentation, and the display works well with both screen readers, but for NVDA the Braille Extender add-on is a must. The only thing I noticed was that according to HumanWare's documentation, pressing space with the letter d on the display was supposed to be mapped to delete, but the keystroke was unassigned in Jaws, so I had to do it manually. I'm not sure if this is a Jaws bug or a HumanWare bug, so I'm not sure to whom I should report it. It's nothing major, and was easily fixed. It just seemed like an oversight, since delete is an often used function. Thanks for the discussion though. This thread has been quite helpful.