Topics

moderated Question/New user to Amazon with Jaws

Laura Richardson

Hello,

Using Windows 10 and Jaws 18.

Using Jaws, is it possible to setup an account and purchase items on Amazon without sighted help?  I’ve never setup an account on any web site so I’m not sure what to expect.

Thank you for any tips and advice in advance.

Laura

Edward Green

Hi Laura,

It's certainly possible to purchase items without sighted help. I've had an account for over 15 years though so don't know if the sign up process is accessible or not these days, I imagine it is though.

Cheers,

Ed

On 14 Jul 2019, at 15:38, Laura Richardson <laurakr65@...> wrote:

Hello,

Using Windows 10 and Jaws 18.

Using Jaws, is it possible to setup an account and purchase items on Amazon without sighted help?  I’ve never setup an account on any web site so I’m not sure what to expect.

Thank you for any tips and advice in advance.

Laura

David & his pack of dogs

I’ve had an Amazon account for almost a year now and for the most part have had no, to little problems.  I did get a blind person to help me set it up, mainly because he’d had an account for years. Now, they do have a help desk in Canada and the U AS that will help you with any problems. One I had was getting a prime membership.  Amazon.com did not recognize my amazon.ca account.  The number for help from amazon is on their website. My only advice is call them during the day as they have a lot of people working out of their home.  Thus, when I called at 10 PM PST, I got a woman with the TV and her kids in the background that could be clearly heard running around. Which brings up another matter, if working out of your home have no background noise as it could discredit your product. Even at some work places, it sounded like there was a party going on.

Using Jaws, is it possible to setup an account and purchase items on Amazon without sighted help?  I’ve never setup an account on any web site so I’m not sure what to expect.

Thank you for any tips and advice in advance.

Laura

netbat66

its jaws accessible. but as of 2 days ago i couldn't place an order.
when i tried to check out i had to log back on, solve a captcha, and give them a cellphone number, which i didn't want to do , before the order would go through. no thanks.
i had to use the amazon fire stick to place the order. the order went through this way.

On 14 Jul 2019, at 15:38, Laura Richardson <laurakr65@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Using Windows 10 and Jaws 18.

Using Jaws, is it possible to setup an account and purchase items on Amazon without sighted help? I’ve never setup an account on any web site so I’m not sure what to expect.

Thank you for any tips and advice in advance.

Laura

I have used Amazon.com (or, more recently, smile.amazon.com if one wishes to have some tiny portion of one's purchase dollars go to the charity of one's choosing) as a site when I'm training folks to use JAWS for a very long time now.

It was, at least through last fall, very accessible, and if memory serves once one does a product search the individual products returned are all structured as headings, so it's easy to use the headings list feature of JAWS to cruise through those quickly and easily (or use the quick navigation key for headings).

         ~ Eric Hoffer

At one point there was an issue with the iOS app where when Voiceover was enabled one couldn’t continue beyond the address selection, but I think that was fixed a while back. The fact is that I rarely use the app, doing it on the PC with Jaws is super accessible and if you remember you address and payment selection or have only one address and one payment card entered it’s basically a matter of activating a couple of buttons and maybe to select the shipping method before you get to the “Place Order” button.

I have used Amazon.com (or, more recently, smile.amazon.com if one wishes to have some tiny portion of one's purchase dollars go to the charity of one's choosing) as a site when I'm training folks to use JAWS for a very long time now.

It was, at least through last fall, very accessible, and if memory serves once one does a product search the individual products returned are all structured as headings, so it's easy to use the headings list feature of JAWS to cruise through those quickly and easily (or use the quick navigation key for headings).

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Sandra Streeter

Just used it last week—no sighted help available, so no choice but to use independently. I use the amazon.com/access site, which is slightly-less-cluttered than the main one. Sign-up accessible.

Sandra

Something is wrong, I know it, if I don't keep my attention on eternity. May I be the tiniest nail in the house of the universe, tiny but useful.

(Mary Oliver)

It's certainly possible to purchase items without sighted help. I've had an account for over 15 years though so don't know if the sign up process is accessible or not these days, I imagine it is though.

Cheers,

Ed

On 14 Jul 2019, at 15:38, Laura Richardson <laurakr65@...> wrote:

Hello,

Using Windows 10 and Jaws 18.

Using Jaws, is it possible to setup an account and purchase items on Amazon without sighted help?  I’ve never setup an account on any web site so I’m not sure what to expect.

Thank you for any tips and advice in advance.

Laura

Laura Richardson

Thank you everybody!  I successfully created an Amazon account and made my first purchase (yay).

Sandra – I didn’t know there is an access site.  How do I get to that site?

Laura

It's certainly possible to purchase items without sighted help. I've had an account for over 15 years though so don't know if the sign up process is accessible or not these days, I imagine it is though.

Cheers,

Ed

On 14 Jul 2019, at 15:38, Laura Richardson <laurakr65@...> wrote:

Hello,

Using Windows 10 and Jaws 18.

Using Jaws, is it possible to setup an account and purchase items on Amazon without sighted help?  I’ve never setup an account on any web site so I’m not sure what to expect.

Thank you for any tips and advice in advance.

Laura

Sandra Streeter

Amazon.com/access, Googled; should be first in search results—the one that says, “online shopping for electronics...” etc. Again, it’s not nearly as uncluttered as I’d like, but some is better than none. Next time I’m there, I should put it in my i.e. favorites—in all these years, I haven’t—don’t know why.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Laura. In case you need a link to go to the Amazon, access site, it is,

www.amazon.com/access

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Curtis Delzer

do it about every day, play around with the site, and you'll find it is not hard, though take it one step at a time, and keep the accessibility help number handy for when you get yourself in the same shape as a pretzel. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA