moderated Find & Replace Query

Mike B.

Hi All,

Running Windows 7 & 10, Jaws 16 thru J2019 and Word 2010.  When in either Word or Notepad, I have 10 lines of text that all say the same except for the numbers at the beginning are different.  Examples below:

88% of FunTrivia players have answered this question correctly in the past.

75% of FunTrivia players have answered this question correctly in the past.

91% of FunTrivia players have answered this question correctly in the past.

Is there a wildcard symbol that can be used that I can insert in place of the numbers, so when placing the full line of text into the, Find field, then putting nothing into the, Replace field, and choosing, Replace All, all the lines would be removed including the numbers?  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Mike,

         I do not think this works in Notepad, but it absolutely does in MS-Word (and I just tested it using your example).

         You must use Advanced find and replace and you must check the checkbox for "Use Wildcards" after hitting the "More" button in the Find & Replace dialog to make that checkbox visible.

         Using the following in the find field:       ([0-9]{1,}%)*^13

will find any line starting with one or more numeric digits, followed immediately by a percent sign, followed by any number of characters, followed by a new line/new paragraph.

If you use nothing (leave blank) the replacement it will remove the lines.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Mike B.

Hi Brian,

Whoa dude, thank you very much.  Would you know of a resource that I can go to and study the wildcard meanings and how to place them correctly?  Thanks again.

Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: Find & Replace Query

Mike,

         I do not think this works in Notepad, but it absolutely does in MS-Word (and I just tested it using your example).

         You must use Advanced find and replace and you must check the checkbox for "Use Wildcards" after hitting the "More" button in the Find & Replace dialog to make that checkbox visible.

         Using the following in the find field:       ([0-9]{1,}%)*^13

will find any line starting with one or more numeric digits, followed immediately by a percent sign, followed by any number of characters, followed by a new line/new paragraph.

If you use nothing (leave blank) the replacement it will remove the lines.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Mike,

          There are scads of resources about advanced find and replace wildcard syntax, and every time I have to deal with it after a long period away, like today, I do a web search to see what comes up.

           Today I used:  https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/General/UsingWildcards.htm

See the results from this search as well:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=microsoft+word+find+wildcards

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Mike B.

Hi Brian,

When physically looking at a, Bracket, or a, Brace, what are the differences between them?  It's been over 40 years since I've actually seen a typewritten Bracket or Brace and I just don't recall.  Example, I picture a Bracket as a rectangle standing vertically and cut in half, but I can't picture the Brace.  Thanks much.

Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 7:31 PM

Mike,

          There are scads of resources about advanced find and replace wildcard syntax, and every time I have to deal with it after a long period away, like today, I do a web search to see what comes up.

           Today I used:  https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/General/UsingWildcards.htm

See the results from this search as well:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=microsoft+word+find+wildcards

         ~ Eric Hoffer

The bracket is often referred to as the square bracket, and your memory is correct, it looks like the trimmed off end of a square or rectangle.

The brace is often referred to as the curly brace (sometimes the curly bracket).    The closest I can come to an even semi-accurate description is that it has a rounded shape at the upper and lower end, much like a parenthesis, but there is a small point pulled out at the halfway point of its height.  There is a bit of recurve coming out of that point, so the whole thing is not fully "on the round" like a parenthesis is.

         ~ Eric Hoffer