moderated How to use external hard drive

JM Casey

Hi.

JAWS doesn't really come into it. This is all Windows stuff, available to
everyone.

Usually you will find a new external drive is assigned a drive letter
logically/alphabetically based on how many drives are already attached/a
part of your system. That isn't *always* the case, I find, but it is 99% of
the time. So, if you know you have just a system hard drive (usually given
the letter c:) and that your DVD drive (if you have one) has the letter
"d:", when you plug in your external drive, it should be assigned the letter
"e:".
I always have autoplay turned off, so nothing really appears to happen when
I plug in a drive, but it will show up in "this PC" as mentioned right
beneath this message. I can also open the run box with windows key + r and
then type in the drive letter to open it.
For example, my drive letters currently go up to "i:". If I plug in one of
my other externals, it becomes "j:". So, I type windows key + r, then "j:"
(don't forget the colon", enter, and the drive opens. From there, you can
create folders, move files around, copy stuff, delete stuff -- just like you
would any other drive.