From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Anna Givens
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2019 7:33 PM
To: Jaws Users <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>; Jaws List <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: JAWS and NVDA

Good evening,

I’m wondering if someone could tell me about the differences between JAWS and NVDA. I know NVDA is free and JAWS is not. I’m wondering why people choose JAWS, and what NVDA is good for. Commonalities, differences, preferences, etc.

Thanks so much,
Anna E

Tanguy LOHEAC

Hello Anna

To my personal experience I would say that NVDA fills most of your needs for home use. I mean if you use your computer just for mailing, basic word processing and media playing, that's good. But honnestly, i perosnnaly use both depending on the situation. There are cases where NVDA can detect things that Jaws doesn't and vice-versa. For example, on Windows 10 modern apps, NVDA makes the job better than Jaws. But on the Internet, I prefer using Jaws because it is smarter in rendering content.

For professional use,  to my opinion, Jaws is far more powerful, typically when you have to use dedicated job apps that are more and more web based applciations, or simply for using with Powerpoint..

But all of this is only my own point of view.

Tanguy

--
Didactiweb - les formations adaptées aux déficients visuels
Tanguy Lohéac

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

What has been pointed out by the two prior correspondents, that this question is too vast to be tidily answered, and that the answers are entirely based on what one is trying to accomplish and under what specific circumstances, are both absolutely true.

I tutor JAWS but have never owned it (other than to have a copy in 40-minute mode) because of its expense.  I used (and still use) NVDA often when I'm even trying to figure out something for one of my JAWS clients, as the overlap is extensive and once you know where the differences lie "translation" between the command set for the two is not all that difficult.

With the introduction of Narrator, and the amount of work Microsoft has been putting into it (and is continuing to do so) there is definitely a "new kid on the block" for Windows 10 (and I think Windows 8.1) users as well.

Invariably there are situations where one screen reader "plays better" with a given application, website, etc., than another does.  You may only be able to be fully proficient with one, but it's not that difficult to get basically proficient with others, and it's distinctly to your advantage to do so.

       ~ Lauren Bacall

Dan Longmore

Well said.

Dan

[...]

The Iowa Gal <iowagal728@...>

See this link for the results of a Google search which includes a number of videos demonstrating Jaws and NVDA

comparison of jaws and nvda

[...]

Ashleigh Piccinino

you might want to look for the e-mail address of Jim Fettgather on this. he is a technologist at Alphapointe, and he knows more about that. I’ll help you out with the e-mail he most often uses, though. jimfettgather@gmial.com