Topics

moderated best web browser to use with JAWS?

James Gashel

Hi all:

Please post your recommendations of what you think is the best web browser to use with the latest version of JAWS. I seem to go back and forth on this and would like to settle down and really learn using what folks think is best.

Thanks.

Best,

James Gashel

M: (808) 234-9259

E: jgashel0923@...

Connect with me on FaceBook, or

Follow me on Twitter

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

I vote for Chrome. When the new Edge comes out, I suspect it will take over, and I’m not sure how much difference between the two a user will notice. I don’t recommend the current Edge, it’s being phased out anyway, and I’ll let others praise Firefox.

Dean

Please post your recommendations of what you think is the best web browser
to use with the latest version of JAWS. I seem to go back and forth on this
and would like to settle down and really learn using what folks think is
best.

Thanks.

Best,

James Gashel

M: (808) 234-9259

E: jgashel0923@... <mailto:jgashel0923@...>

Connect with me on FaceBook <https://www.facebook.com/james.gashel> , or

Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/JGashel>

marvin kotler

                I vote for google chrome.

Marv

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Please post your recommendations of what you think is the best web browser

to use with the latest version of JAWS. I seem to go back and forth on this

and would like to settle down and really learn using what folks think is

best.

Thanks.

Best,

James Gashel

M: (808) 234-9259

E: jgashel0923@... <mailto:jgashel0923@...>

Connect with me on FaceBook <https://www.facebook.com/james.gashel> , or

Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/JGashel>

Dan Longmore

Hi,

  Firefox is very good but as one who is on the net for work and reading the most reliable and acceptable across platforms , in my opinion, is still IE.

Dan

Please post your recommendations of what you think is the best web browser to use with the latest version of JAWS. I seem to go back and forth on this and would like to settle down and really learn using what folks think is best.

Thanks.

Best,

James Gashel

M: (808) 234-9259

E: jgashel0923@...

Connect with me on FaceBook, or

Follow me on Twitter

The Iowa Gal <iowagal728@...>

I have been using Brave and I really like it. I'm finding it faster than
Firefox and less complicated to configure than Chrome. But, as always, your
mileage may vary. So far I've found a focus problem on my grocery store's
site (Hy-Vee) and I haven't figured out how to read tables, as the Jaws
keystrokes aren't working.
https://brave.com/download/

Please post your recommendations of what you think is the best web browser
to use with the latest version of JAWS. I seem to go back and forth on this
and would like to settle down and really learn using what folks think is
best.

Thanks.

Best,

James Gashel

M: (808) 234-9259

E: jgashel0923@... <mailto:jgashel0923@...>

Connect with me on FaceBook <https://www.facebook.com/james.gashel> , or

Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/JGashel>

Chris Hill

I don't think there is one best web browser.  The chromium-based ones are okay, although I try to avoid actual google chrome because of its spying.  I'd much rather use brave it blocks ads and lets me read things where other browsers just say you have to subscribe or allow ads.  I like firefox for the fact that its menus aren't buried quite as deep as chromium-based browsers.  Other than the menus they all basically work the same, so there really is no reason to restrict yourself to only using one browser.

On 6/26/2019 15:07, James Gashel wrote:

Hi all:

Please post your recommendations of what you think is the best web browser to use with the latest version of JAWS. I seem to go back and forth on this and would like to settle down and really learn using what folks think is best.

Thanks.

Best,

James Gashel

M: (808) 234-9259

E: jgashel0923@...

Connect with me on FaceBook, or

Follow me on Twitter

Sharon

What do you mean as menus being quite as deep as? I’m confused about bookmarks for example in both Firefox and Google Chrome. IE is so simple. I don’t know what I’m missing here.

Sharon

[...]

Munawar Bijani <munawarb@...>

As far as stability, with JAWS is the best with Chrome. Edge still has some issues which make it a less than ideal browser and Firefox has a refresh problem. I find that nowadays NVDA is a lot better on the web than JAWS, so perhaps consider using different screen readers.

On Jun 27, 2019, at 5:54 AM, Sharon <mt281820@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, ie and firefox both have menu bars with things divided off into categories, chrome has a menu button where everything is thrown together and you just have to keep arrowing down until you find what you want.  Bookmarks in firefox are fairly simple, as long as you put the bookmark in the right place when you save it.  Bookmarks are hard enough to get to in chromium-based browsers that I generally don't mess with them; if I found a thing once I'll either find it again or use it enough to remember the address.

On 6/27/2019 04:54, Sharon wrote:

[...]

Yes, JAWS has issues with many things including browsers.

[...]

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi James,

I agree with many of the others. I really like Chrome. It's easy to use, is really fast, and, once you get used to the way the settings menu is set up, it's easy to navigate as you can navigate the settings by heading.

Hope this helps,

Russell

On Jun 26, 2019, at 2:07 PM, James Gashel <jgashel0923@...> wrote:

Hi all:

Please post your recommendations of what you think is the best web browser to use with the latest version of JAWS. I seem to go back and forth on this and would like to settle down and really learn using what folks think is best.

Thanks.

Best,

James Gashel

M: (808) 234-9259

Connect with me on FaceBook, or
Follow me on Twitter

paul lemm

Hi Sharron,

I actually found bookmarks the hardest transition when I first moved from IE to chrome, but now use chrome all the time and almost never use IE any more. One tip I can give regarding bookmarks which I found really helpful with Chrome is there is a key combination to quickly access bookmarks in a list similar to how IE displays them. If you press and hold ALT and then press F (it should say context menu at this stage), then release alt and f, press b (it should say something like bookmarks sub menu), simply press right cursor key and you’re in the list of bookmarks. I realised As I wrote that it actually sounds more complicated than it actually is , but I do find this key stroke a really quick and easy way of accessing bookmarks in chrome. Hope that helps.

Paul

[...]

JM Casey

Hi.
There was a reason I decided not to try Brave, but I now can't recall what
it was. Since Vivaldi, as great as it sounds and looks, isn't really as
usable as I'd like, I may try this again.
The JAWS keystrokes probably don't work because there's been no specific
scripts written for the Brave browser. I find that some functionality is
lost in waterfox, too, though it generally works pretty well.

Please post your recommendations of what you think is the best web browser
to use with the latest version of JAWS. I seem to go back and forth on this
and would like to settle down and really learn using what folks think is
best.

Thanks.

Best,

James Gashel

M: (808) 234-9259

E: jgashel0923@... <mailto:jgashel0923@...>

Connect with me on FaceBook <https://www.facebook.com/james.gashel> , or

Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/JGashel>

JM Casey

Both Firefox and Chrome should together cover most needs. I find that Firefox has a problem loading pages with a lot of content (even a lot of text) and chrome occasionally hangs or “gets stuck”, but both browsers are pretty good. I’m a little disturbed by Google’s attitude toward privacy and ad-blockers, so even though their browser is fast, I tend to use Firefox more often. There are definitely sites that function better using Chrome though, so you should have both. There in’t a limit to the number of browsers you can have on your computer; I just wish some of the many third party ones (seriously, take a look online sometime, there are literally dozens of web browsers out there) worked a little better with screen-readers. Sadly, work mostly seems to only be done on the major competitors.

I vote for Chrome. When the new Edge comes out, I suspect it will take over, and I’m not sure how much difference between the two a user will notice. I don’t recommend the current Edge, it’s being phased out anyway, and I’ll let others praise Firefox.

Dean

Please post your recommendations of what you think is the best web browser to use with the latest version of JAWS. I seem to go back and forth on this and would like to settle down and really learn using what folks think is best.

Thanks.

Best,

James Gashel

M: (808) 234-9259

E: jgashel0923@...

Connect with me on FaceBook, or

Follow me on Twitter

Randy Barnett

Don't give up on IE yet. It will occasionally  work when others wont do what you need them too. The truth is you need multiple browsers because each will work in a situation where the others wont. the new Chromium based Edge is pretty good. I use it as my default browser and use IE and Firefox on occasion. There will never be a single work on every webpage browser for us.

Vivaldi is not nearly as easy to use as advertised and I haven't tried water fox or Brave but I will be after reading this.

On 6/26/2019 1:07 PM, James Gashel wrote:

Hi all:

Please post your recommendations of what you think is the best web browser to use with the latest version of JAWS. I seem to go back and forth on this and would like to settle down and really learn using what folks think is best.

Thanks.

Best,

James Gashel

M: (808) 234-9259

E: jgashel0923@...

Connect with me on FaceBook, or

Follow me on Twitter

JM Casey

I wish Vivaldi was a little cleaner with JAWS as it seems so nice and I love how customisable it is, but yeah. Truth is I’ve barely run it since I installed the thing. Still vaguely hoping for improvements, though.

[...]

                                In my book, google chrome is the best.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:48 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
There will never be a single work on every webpage browser for us.
And I will hasten to add that while this is far more true for users of screen readers, it is also true even for those of us with sight.

There are some web pages that for reasons as mysterious as the building methods of the great pyramids just will not work under browser X that are just fine with browser Y.  And when you factor in add-ons and extensions (browser and screen-reader) things get even more complicated.

       ~ Lauren Bacall

Tim Ford

My primary browser is Chrome, and IE is the backup.  Also, I keep JAWS 17 on my computer in addition to 2019.  There are some web sites that work with 17 but not 2019; go figure.

Tim Ford