Topics

moderated Have they implemented an option to tell JAWS to stop restarting itself yet?

James Homuth

Here’s the situation. My PC is not as fast as it could be. It’s also going to be replaced just as soon as I have the financial room to do it. But it’s not unstable, by any means—just sometimes it likes to take a couple seconds longer than it should to do certain things. The problem is, and I notice this fairly consistently, JAWS likes to assume it’s the problem when my PC does that, and so will kill itself, try and restart, and basically throw me off of whatever I’m working on. I was right in the middle of reading something tonight, the backup process kicked in, and JAWS committed suicide. Keep in mind, JAWS was perfectly stable. My system was perfectly stable. Just the CPU had run up above 50% for a few minutes.

I’d stuck with 14 for as long as I did because of that “feature” (for those with them disabled, the word “feature” is in quotes), but the list of currently available programs that 14 will still actually work with gets shorter on the daily. So I upgraded. Admittedly mostly for Office 365 (my work uses Exchange, and the newer versions of Exchange don’t work with Outlook 2003), but being perfectly honest the ability to use things like Chrome doesn’t hurt either.

My question: have they invented a way yet to tell JAWS not to have such an inferiority complex? I mean I get it—2019 isn’t exactly a bug free release, but the biggest reason if you’re me for JAWS taking a dive isn’t because it’s having a problem, but because it’s assuming it’s having a problem. It makes finding the actual problem slightly more annoying than it needs to be—I do have NVDA on here, but by the time I get that loaded whatever hung the system and tripped JAWS up has stopped hanging the system and JAWS has tripped for nothing. Any suggestions, or are we stuck waiting to see if FS realises that not every issue can be solved by restarting the program, particularly when the program being restarted isn’t the issue in the first place?

Chris Hill

That's the strangest claim I've ever heard.  I suspect your pc is unstable, you might want to start with a check of the hard drive using chkdsk.  If that passes, scan it for viruses and malware then reinstall jaws if none of that helps.

On 6/24/2019 05:46, James Homuth wrote:

[...]

Munawar Bijani <munawarb@...>

No, there is no way to disable the auto restart thing.

On Jun 24, 2019, at 7:32 AM, Chris Hill <hillco@...> wrote:

[...]

I do this for a living. Trust me, my PC is very stable. Also I did say I can do the exact same things with JAWS 14 and the software doesn’t crash. JAWS has been repaired, uninstalled, reinstalled, upgraded, then reinstalled again just for amusement. To fix another issue the OS was reinstalled not all that long ago. Trust me. It’s not the PC.

[...]

Well hell. I suppose if that’s my only complaint it could be worse, but man is that going to annoy me.

[...]

Very interesting.  How slow is this computer?  What processor are we talking about here?

On 6/24/2019 07:57, James Homuth wrote:

[...]

Dan Longmore

Rt you’re right on it’s not your PC. It’s the latest version of JAWS 2019. FS does not seem to have any answers. But at least it reboots as annoying as it is.

[...]

Core i5-5200U at 2.20 GHZ. Pair that with 8 GB of RAM. It’s not screaming, but it takes a lot to make this machine sweat.

[...]

Eh. Yes and no. sometimes it reboots, sometimes it says to hell with it and I have to kick it a couple times. Annoying, but if it irritates me too much I do have NVDA.

[...]

Well, it is getting on in years.  I'm guessing it is in a laptop since my i5-4430 desktop is about three times faster even though it is a generation older.  Unfortunately, buying a laptop often means you get a nice looking box with a slow processor in it.

On 6/24/2019 09:01, James Homuth wrote:

[...]

Eh. It’s just about 4 years old. I’ve had desktops acting as servers that have lasted longer (last one was 8 before the motherboard finally gave it up). It lets me log into multiple servers at once and doesn’t choke, which is probably a good benchmark for anything. At any given point the only casualty is JAWS, and only versions of JAWS that auto restart. Hand me a version that doesn’t have the auto restart functionality and it’ll run like a champ.

[...]

Sad.  You really have to watch laptop processors.  I bought a "gaming" laptop that is about a year and a half old with a 7th generation core i5, and it is barely faster than this 5.5 year old desktop with an i5-4430.  If you want to keep a laptop a long time, buy the fastest processor available at that time.

I don't really think being logged into multiple servers is going to push a processor all that hard.  Running ocr on a big batch job or using something to make the audio level consistent on a huge batch of mp3 files will really push a system.

On 6/24/2019 09:23, James Homuth wrote:

[...]

Hi James,

Definitely not an age where I would be too concerned, I have an Intel NUC mini PC at my store which has an I5 4th generation processor and yes, laptops and the mini PC’s do use the CPU’s which are not as fast as the unlocked ones you can put in a desktop with a 500 or 600 Watt power supply, but then again for me at my business where I have 4 PC’s running all day every day it actually makes a noticeable difference in electricity use whether I have 4 desktop PC’s or 4 mini PC’s which at most use 60 or 65 Watts, in addition if the power goes out which sometimes happens up here in northern British Columbia, they run a lot longer on a simple, inexpensive 800 Watt UPC.

In any case, the point is that at least for me Jaws 2019 crashes or restarts itself extremely rarely, I found that about a year or 2 ago this problem almost disappeared under Windows 10 and with Jaws 2018 and 2019. I am not saying it never happens, but certainly a lot less often than before. I even still have an Intel NUC I3 and even though it’s a fifth gen so one generation newer than my i5, it’s super slow even for my sighted staff without Jaws. But this will not be an issue for much longer since I just purchased and received its replacement an HP EliteDesk 800 G4 mini PC which has an I7 8700T processor, 16 Gb of RAM and a 512 Gb SSD. This will become my new PC in the office and my current PC which is exactly the same but with an I7 sixth Gen CPU will go downstairs to replace the I3 Intel NUC. I must say that I am much more impressed with the HP mini PC’s than the Intel NUC systems, granted the HP is a bit bigger, but still very small and quiet. This new one even has again two 3.5mm front panel ports, one for headset/speaker and one for an external microphone, all the other ones I have just have a combo port. It also has a front panel USB-C port, two USB 3.1 ports and in the back 4 more USB 3.1 ports, dual monitor ports and a connector for an external WiFi antenna. These HP computers also have a built-in speaker although the quality is not great and I’d only use it in a pinch.

I do plan, however, to completely reinstall Windows 10 from scrap on it, I checked Apps and Features and there are an amazing 15 HP-related programs installed and I really don’t need all that junk. Just extracted the Windows 10 product key on Saturday and today I’ll reinstall Windows on it.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Yeah, see, I’ve done that with this machine and it’s looked at me like okay, what else you got? That’s how I know it’s not the PC. I’ve also run VM’s on here with Exchange, SQL server and the like for school, and the thing wasn’t even breathing hard. You’re trying to tell me it can run a Windows Server 2012 VM with resource-hungry Exchange, but it can’t run latest JAWS? I’m not buying. LOL

[...]

Still not buying the jaws restarting because the machine is slow.  I suspect you are having some other problem, but then again, I have not tried running jaws 2019 on a slow of a processor as that one is.  I’d either chuck it or reformat it.
Some things aren’t worth the diagnostic time required to figure out what the real problem is.  I’d back the thing up, put a fresh copy of windows on it and see if it works right.  If it doesn’t, at least you’d know you did all you could do.

On Jun 24, 2019, at 10:39, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

[...]

You must have missed the part of the thread where I said I did that already to fix another issue.

[...]

Well, it sounds to me like other people are running slower hardware without your issue.  I'd be looking at hardware diagnostics and I'd check things like the video driver.

Good luck.

CH

On 6/24/2019 10:57, James Homuth wrote:

[...]

ratshtron

hmmm, I am running windows 7 32bit with a
pentium(r) dual-core cpu e5200 2.50 processor
with 2.0 gb of ram and I have never hadJAWS
restart on this system. I have had other problems but not that.

<<mailto:james@...>james@...> wrote:

[...]

sometimes it likes to take a couple secondds
longer than it should to do certain things. The
problem is, and I notice this fairly
consistently, JAWS likes to assume it’s the
problem when my PC does that, and so will kill
itself, try and restart, and basically throw me
off of whatever I’m working on. I was right
in the middle of reading something tonight, the
backup process kicked in, and JAWS committed
suicide. Keep in mind, JAWS was perfectly
stable. My system was perfectly stable. Just
the CPU had run up above 50% for a few minutes.

I’d stuck with 14 for as long as I did
because of that “featureâ€&#65533; (for those with
them disabled, the word “featureâ€&#65533; is in
[...]

Randy Barnett

    I build, repair and tweak PC's going on 26 years now. I have been using Jaws the entire time. I have never had your experience unless there was a software or hardware issue. I run the latest version of jaws at all times and have never had 2019 do as you describe. I am in no way saying it isn't happening. I am saying it is caused by a real software or hardware issue. Some hardware issues are insanely hard to diagnose and some are actually impossible without a lab.
The fact that Jaws 14 is stable and 2019 is not is interesting though.
Try uninstalling Jaws 14 and 2019 and all their  folders and files. Use NVDA to do this. When you are sure all traces of Jaws are gone restart and install Jaws 2019. Let us know what happens either way.