Topics

moderated Using Skype

Justin Mcdevitt

Hello list-members,

Over the past 7-8 years, I have only had 3-4 occasions where I used Skype. I will be working with a trainer remotely beginning later this week and would like to use Skype for our sessions.

I have read that Skype and Windows 10 using a screenreader program has some accessibility issues. There are also two download options: Skype for Windows 10 and Skype for Desktop. As I will be using my PC for this training, the latter would have the most direct application.

In a large binder where I keep braille notes on various programs, I have some basic Skype commands from some years ago  using JAWS. Have any of these commands changed? Are there any new commands?

I would appreciate any input and direction.

Best, Justin

inamuddin khan

Dear friend, first of all, there is no accessibility issue using Skype Electron with screen readers.

For more information, feel free to visit:

www.dlee.org/skype/electron/skypeelectron.htm

Charlsdarwin1

You can contact me via gmail:

inamuddin09@...

outlook:

inam092@...

yahoo:

inamuddin2010@...

AOL:

charlsdarwin1969@...

Join me with my Skype ID:

charlsdarwin1

See me on facebook:

www.facebook.com/inamuddin786

Follow me on my twitter:

www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1

Mobile phone:

+92-334-3348409

Google voice:

+1-631-5335683

Over the past 7-8 years, I have only had 3-4 occasions where I used Skype. I will be working with a trainer remotely beginning later this week and would like to use Skype for our sessions.

I have read that Skype and Windows 10 using a screenreader program has some accessibility issues. There are also two download options: Skype for Windows 10 and Skype for Desktop. As I will be using my PC for this training, the latter would have the most direct application.

In a large binder where I keep braille notes on various programs, I have some basic Skype commands from some years ago  using JAWS. Have any of these commands changed? Are there any new commands?

I would appreciate any input and direction.

Best, Justin

The Iowa Gal <iowagal728@...>

Hi Justin,

If you  are using Jaws, I encourage you to read the info about Skype in the Jaws help. It will tell you what version of Skype to get to work best with Jaws and I believe also has keystrokes for basic commands.

If you’re not using Jaws, I would advise you download and install Skype for Desktop. This is what Jaws recommends and I would think it would be the version best suited for use with screen readers.

HTH

Norma

Over the past 7-8 years, I have only had 3-4 occasions where I used Skype. I will be working with a trainer remotely beginning later this week and would like to use Skype for our sessions.

I have read that Skype and Windows 10 using a screenreader program has some accessibility issues. There are also two download options: Skype for Windows 10 and Skype for Desktop. As I will be using my PC for this training, the latter would have the most direct application.

In a large binder where I keep braille notes on various programs, I have some basic Skype commands from some years ago  using JAWS. Have any of these commands changed? Are there any new commands?

I would appreciate any input and direction.

Best, Justin

You definitely want the desktop version, current  is Skype 8.46.

Jaws has pretty good support for Skype without third party scripts and in the “What’s new in Jaws 2019” there is a section about Skype support which lists some of the keyboard shortcuts you get with the Jaws scripts.

Just do a virtual find for “Skype” or go through the sections with the quick nav key for heading level 3.

Furthermore, Brian Hartgen has done a Skype course and you can purchase a recorded version which includes additional scripts for approx. $42 US.

For this you get three 60 minute or so sessions as well as the scripts.

The course is called “Reach for the Skype.

Regards,

Sieghard