Topics

moderated Transitioning back from Mac to PC? Lots of questions

Astrid van Woerkom

Hi all,
I have some questions. I need to make the choice between a Mac with VoiceOve ror a PC with Windows 10 and JAWS. Background: hav eused PCs with JAWS ever since 2002, but had been waiting for approval from my health insurance to get a new JAWS version ever since late 2017. In the meantime, last January, I bought a Mac, which I can’t get used to. Long story short, I was finally approved for JAWS and now my husband is willing to get me a Windows PC and to take over my Mac. Keeping both the Mac and PC is not an option for practical reasons.

As the purchase of the Mac was quite a desperate action and I don’t want to repeat it, I want to get opinions from people as to how useable JAWS is these days? Is there a browser that works well? I cannot get used to the way Safari works on the Mac, but I don’t want to have to have three different browsers on my PC like I did with my last Windows PC and way old JAWS. What about Windows Mail? Is the Windows app store accessible nowadays, and if not, where do you get your apps?

Is there a way to keep files synchronized between PC and iPhone? I like my iPhone and really use it ll the time.

What feed reader(s) is/are accessible with JAWS? Is Kindle for PC still accessible (Kindle for Mac isn’t)? Just some random questions. Will ask more if I think of any.

Kendra Schafer <redwing731@...>

Hi Astrid and all! I have a Dell laptop computer with JAWS, NVDA and Windows 10. I also have an Iphone. I also have Dropbox and Google Drive. Google Drive and Dropbox both sync up to both my computer and my Iphone. It's awesome!!! I'm a college student and I wouldn't survive college without that ability. I also have Outlook which is a a new vversion of the old Outlook  Express for your email. I on't know if Windows Mail is accessible because I don't don't use it. If I use Firefox the most on my computer. I use Microsoft Word and Google Dox for word prossessors. I use JAWS 2018 because I don’t care for JAWS 2019, thanks to bugs. NVDA has improved a lot and competes with JAWS. Even with JAWS, it’s still worth having NVDA as well so you can either swap between them as needed or as a back up for whenever JAWS refuses to behave. NVDA is still free but you pay for any add one. Both screen readers work with Windows 10 and the apps I mentioned. I don’t recamend Microsoft Edge because it’s not currently fully accessible. Chrome is a lot better and Internet Explorer has passed its prime. Firefox is my go to browser because you can do a lot more with it than you can with Internet Explorer. Also, if you can’t work a Mac, then stick with your PC instead. Besides, you have more power with word prosessors and spreadsheets on a PC.

Thank you for taking the time to read this Email!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber
Chemeketa Community College,
350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
Home Email:
Redwing731@...
Chemeketa Community College Email:
Kschaber@...
Phone:
971-599-9991
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”, Author unknown.
SE.
Sent from my Gmail Email

[...]

Hi Kendra,
Thanks so much. Is Outlook built in with Windows 10 or do you have to have Office for that? I don’t do a lot of word processing or spreadsheets. Most often I use my computer for blogging, E-mail and other online stuff.

Op 21 jun. 2019 om 19:46 heeft Kendra Schafer <redwing731@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Chris Hill

Hello.

Yes, kindle for pc is still accessible, and I’d sayh better than it used to be.  I prefer to use the Chromium type browsers like Chrome or Brave(good when you really want all ads blocked).  Both seem to work about the same.  I use thunderbird for email, windows mail is basically a dumpster fire in my opinion.  Thunderbird is free, and while it isn’t perfect, I’ve been using it for a good ten years without trouble.  Firefox used to have the best rss capabilities, but it quit doing that.  Thunderbird can work with rss feeds, it is not much fun to get them set up because you have to switch back and forth to the browser to find and save the url’s, but once set up, thunderbird has a built in browser that reads the feed pretty well.

Hope this helps.

CH

On Jun 21, 2019, at 13:16, Astrid van Woerkom <astrid@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks so much. I have experience with Thunderbird but it stopped working with my old JAWS. Glad it works with current versions.

Op 21 jun. 2019 om 20:28 heeft Chris Hill <hillco@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Kendra Schaber <kschaber@...>

Hi Astrid and all! I'm not sure if Outlook is built in because the Oregon Commission for the Blind got it for me for college. I do know that it's accessible with JAWS because I use it for my school email during homework sessions and emailed documents for classes.

[...]

Randy Barnett

Q: As the purchase of the Mac was quite a desperate action and I don’t want to repeat it, I want to get opinions from people as to how usable JAWS is these
days?

A: Hi,As you found out VO on the Mac is way different than VO on the I Phone. As you have many years of Windows and Jaws experience you would be better off with a PC running Jaws or NVDA. I use Jaws since I am a long time user of it.

Q:  Is there a browser that works well? I cannot get used to the way Safari works on the Mac, but I don’t want to have to have three different browsers on my PC like I did with my last Windows PC and way old JAWS.

A: Fire Fox, Chrome and IE are still the main options for browsers and each has it's use's. The new Chromium based Edge is great so far and I am using it as my default browser and it seems to do most everything I need it too. There will always be times when a second or third browser is needed. That is just life. But it is better than it used to be.

Q: What about Windows Mail? Is the Windows app store accessible nowadays, and if not, where do you get your apps?
A: Some use windows mail or Outlook, I really prefer Thunderbird. It is accessible and easy to use. The app store is somewhat accessible but you can still install programs just as you always have so I don't use it.

Is there a way to keep files synchronized between PC and iPhone? I like my iPhone and really use it all the time.

Q: Yes, One drive, Dropbox and Google drive are all  available on both the PC and I Phone. I use One Drive and like it.

Q: What feed reader(s) is/are accessible with JAWS? Is Kindle for PC still accessible (Kindle for Mac isn’t)?
A: Not sure...

Q:  Just some random questions. Will ask more if
I think of any.

A: Of course we are here to help. :) smiley face

Randy Barnett

Outlook is part of Office and you have to pay for it.

On 6/21/2019 11:22 AM, Kendra Schaber wrote:
[...]

JM Casey

Hello  Astrid.

The Windows app store seems quite accessible, but really, I do not use it for much. I can say though that you can successfully find and install apps from this place if you want to.

Where do we get our apps? That depends on what they are. I generally try to go to the source on the internet for whatever programme I am interested in.

I use Microsoft office, so outlook is my mail client of choice. You can get a recycled office license really cheaply nowadays.

As for browsers, Chrome and Firefox combination should serve you well. You will probably need to use both to have the best/smoothest experience.

[...]

Hi all! Good to know. Thank you!

[...]

Thanks so much for answering my questions so eloquently.

Op 21 jun. 2019 om 20:45 heeft Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...> het volgende geschreven:

Q: As the purchase of the Mac was quite a desperate action and I don’t want to repeat it, I want to get opinions from people as to how usable JAWS is these
days?

A: Hi,As you found out VO on the Mac is way different than VO on the I Phone. As you have many years of Windows and Jaws experience you would be better off with a PC running Jaws or NVDA. I use Jaws since I am a long time user of it.

Q:  Is there a browser that works well? I cannot get used to the way Safari works on the Mac, but I don’t want to have to have three different browsers on my PC like I did with my last Windows PC and way old JAWS.

A: Fire Fox, Chrome and IE are still the main options for browsers and each has it's use's. The new Chromium based Edge is great so far and I am using it as my default browser and it seems to do most everything I need it too. There will always be times when a second or third browser is needed. That is just life. But it is better than it used to be.

Q: What about Windows Mail? Is the Windows app store accessible nowadays, and if not, where do you get your apps?
A: Some use windows mail or Outlook, I really prefer Thunderbird. It is accessible and easy to use. The app store is somewhat accessible but you can still install programs just as you always have so I don't use it.

Is there a way to keep files synchronized between PC and iPhone? I like my iPhone and really use it all the time.

Q: Yes, One drive, Dropbox and Google drive are all  available on both the PC and I Phone. I use One Drive and like it.

Q: What feed reader(s) is/are accessible with JAWS? Is Kindle for PC still accessible (Kindle for Mac isn’t)?
A: Not sure...

Q:  Just some random questions. Will ask more if
I think of any.

A: Of course we are here to help. :) smiley face

Astrid van Woerkom

Thanks for explaining. I asked about getting apps becaus eon Mac, if something isn’t in the app store, it’s a pain to install. I know with Windows 8 it was very easy to install programs you got off the Internet, but I wasn’t sure this still works in Windows 10.

Op 21 jun. 2019 om 21:22 heeft JM Casey <jmcasey@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

John Covici

Outlook is not built-in, you have to buy office 365 and outlook will
install automatically on your computer and it will keep updated, which
can have up and down sides.

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 14:22:58 -0400,
Kendra Schaber wrote:

[1 <text/plain; Windows-1252 (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/html; Windows-1252 (quoted-printable)>]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks so much. Is Outlook built in with Windows 10 or do you have to have Office for that? I don’t do a lot of word processing or spreadsheets. Most often I use my computer for blogging, E-mail and other online stuff.

Astrid
http://bloggingastrid.com/
http://astridetal.wordpress.com/

[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

JM Casey

Hi Astrid.

If Windows went the way of only allowing apps to be installed from the app store, I am pretty sure many of us would stop using Windows. I think the reason a lot of us like Windows is that it’s not so proprietary, notso completely controlled by Microsoft that your experience begins and ends with them.

That said, there is a special version of Windows designed for educational purposes that I think only allows programmes from the store to be installed. And even my own Windows tried to point me more in that direction before I changed things. Now I can just install anything I like, from anywhere; that’s the way I want my computer to behave. *grins*

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 06:35 PM, JM Casey wrote:
If Windows went the way of only allowing apps to be installed from the app store, I am pretty sure many of us would stop using Windows.
Not to mention they'd be killing the goose that has assisted in incubating the golden eggs.  I cannot foresee a time when desktop apps (formerly called installed programs) supplied by third-party makers will not be a huge part of the Windows 10 ecosystem.

Mind you, some of those makers are transitioning toward UWP apps distributed through the store, but those are mostly in addition to, not in replacement of, the installed type.

I have often said of Apple that they make great products, if overpriced, but I couldn't ever "go there" permanently because I refused to become one with the Apple borg.  There is but one way, the Apple way, and the ecosystems for every one of the operating systems they make are far more tightly controlled than I'm willing to accept.  Different strokes for different folks.

       ~ Lauren Bacall