moderated downloading PDFs in Google Chrome

Cynthia Bruce

Hi All,

I am using JAWS 17 and have recently switched to Google Chrome. Most things work well, but I can’t seem to sort out how to deal with a PDF that I want to access from the web. When I click on the document link, I get a button that says, “Open embedded document”. When I hit that button, nothing seems to happen and I can’t find the document. Sometimes I can later locate it in my downloads folder, but more often than not it is simply not locatable. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce PhD, MTA

Ethics Chair

Canadian Association of Music Therapists

Munawar Bijani <munawarb@...>

Many times PDFs are named oddly so it won't be the name you're expecting. This is especially true for bank statements and tax documents.

You can also try looking for any alert messages that Chrome pops up. If I'm downloading a PDF and it gets blocked for some reason, there's usually an alert about it. if not, some plugin is blocking it, like NoScript.

On 6/21/2019 9:05 AM, Cynthia Bruce wrote:

Hi All,

I am using JAWS 17 and have recently switched to Google Chrome. Most things work well, but I can’t seem to sort out how to deal with a PDF that I want to access from the web. When I click on the document link, I get a button that says, “Open embedded document”. When I hit that button, nothing seems to happen and I can’t find the document. Sometimes I can later locate it in my downloads folder, but more often than not it is simply not locatable. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce PhD, MTA

Ethics Chair

Canadian Association of Music Therapists

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

I fear you may have to look at upgrading JAWS. I don’t know if the annual subscription deal is available in Canada, but if so it makes upgrading somewhat painless. With the speed at which Chrome changes, I don’t know that it is realistic to expect it to work with a version of JAWS that is three years old. You could install the 30-minute trial of JAWS 2019 and try downloading your document and see if the process is different. Alternatively, with the version of JAWS you are using, with the pc cursor focused on the link for the PDF, see if there are other options in the context menu that yield better results.

I am using JAWS 17 and have recently switched to Google Chrome. Most things work well, but I can’t seem to sort out how to deal with a PDF that I want to access from the web. When I click on the document link, I get a button that says, “Open embedded document”. When I hit that button, nothing seems to happen and I can’t find the document. Sometimes I can later locate it in my downloads folder, but more often than not it is simply not locatable. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce PhD, MTA

Ethics Chair

Canadian Association of Music Therapists

I will also add, regardless of the JAWS version, I find it far easier to locate things when I am forced to pick their actual save location.   I always go in to any browser's settings for downloads and set up the "make me choose each time" option.

In Chrome, that's Chrome Settings, Advanced, Downloads, "Ask where to save each file before downloading" toggle.

Once that's set to yes, you will get a Save dialog for every download, and you can select exactly where you want that file to be saved and be able to rename it to something more reasonable when you get the randomized numbers file names.

       ~ Lauren Bacall

You can try and tab a couple of times and then use “b” for button to see if you can find a “Download” button. I assume the PDF opens in Chrome and if that is the case you typically have this download button available as well as a print button.

I will also add, regardless of the JAWS version, I find it far easier to locate things when I am forced to pick their actual save location.   I always go in to any browser's settings for downloads and set up the "make me choose each time" option.

In Chrome, that's Chrome Settings, Advanced, Downloads, "Ask where to save each file before downloading" toggle.

Once that's set to yes, you will get a Save dialog for every download, and you can select exactly where you want that file to be saved and be able to rename it to something more reasonable when you get the randomized numbers file names.

       ~ Lauren Bacall

If the goal is to save the file locally for opening in your favorite PDF reader, I wouldn't even activate a link for same because, as Sieghard has noted, under Chrome that generally opens the file in Chrome's built-in PDF viewer in a separate tab, and then you still have to get to the download button.

Just bring up the context menu when you have focus on the actual link to the PDF file and choose, "Save link target as" (or similar, I can never remember if that's the Firefox language or Chrome's, but they're similar enough that it's pretty obvious).

       ~ Lauren Bacall

Cynthia Bruce

OK, now I feel like I am getting somewhere. So, what if I want to try to open it and read it without actually saving it or downloading it? Is there a way for me to be able to open in Adobe rather than in the built-in PDF reader?

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 12:36 PM, Cynthia Bruce wrote:
Is there a way for me to be able to open in Adobe rather than in the built-in PDF reader?
Yes.   Read the following PDF for instructions.  It dates from 2016, and I haven't been using Adobe Reader for quite some time, so it may not be current.  If it turns out not to work with Reader DC then please let me know and I'll actually install Reader DC to take a look at how it's working now.

Configuring your web browsers to open PDF files in Adobe Reader - Done from within Adobe Reader's settings

       ~ Lauren Bacall

Scratch reading that PDF in my last response.  Things have changed, at least slightly.

Adobe actually presents a link to this webpage, https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/display-pdf-in-browser.html, in its internet preferences now.  This page explains how to toggle display with a web browser on or off (meaning use Reader instead) in a variety of contemporary browsers.

If a given browser is currently displaying in browser, then wherever they have you go to turn that on is where you'll go to turn that off.

       ~ Lauren Bacall

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

Even if you do open it in Chrome though, there is a download button.  Just press B until you hit it.

All the best

Steve

If the goal is to save the file locally for opening in your favorite PDF reader, I wouldn't even activate a link for same because, as Sieghard has noted, under Chrome that generally opens the file in Chrome's built-in PDF viewer in a separate tab, and then you still have to get to the download button.

Just bring up the context menu when you have focus on the actual link to the PDF file and choose, "Save link target as" (or similar, I can never remember if that's the Firefox language or Chrome's, but they're similar enough that it's pretty obvious).

       ~ Lauren Bacall

Steve,

            I am aware of that, but many of us just don't want PDFs to ever open in our web browsers, even if we don't intend to download them for saving purposes (they do get downloaded for viewing no matter what).

            I far prefer for PDF files to open in my chosen PDF viewer, as they're easier to review there.  The few extra seconds taken to fire it up when I hit a PDF link is more than worth it for me.

       ~ Lauren Bacall

Steve Nutt

Actually, it’s better to read PDFs in Chrome now than Reader DC.  It’s quite a nice experience.