Topics

moderated Jaws and Express Scribe

David F. <scopist65@...>

Hello,

I’m new here but joined expressly so that I might ask if anyone on this list does transcription.  It can be medical, legal, or other.  If so, what transcription software do you use?  Do you use Express Scribe or another software package?

Thank you

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Lee Anne Atkinson

Hi,

I currently use Express Scribe for medical transcription and it is pretty good.  I use a foot pedal to control the dictation, which helps a lot.  There are a pair of slider bars for controlling volume and speed for the mouse users out there but otherwise you can tailor speed/tone/volume/playback through menu choices.  I use the free version. 

Hope that helps.

Lee Anne

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David F.
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 8:41 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws and Express Scribe

Hello,

I’m new here but joined expressly so that I might ask if anyone on this list does transcription.  It can be medical, legal, or other.  If so, what transcription software do you use?  Do you use Express Scribe or another software package?

Thank you

David F. <scopist65@...>

Dear Lee Anne;

I did start up the software and took a try at it.  It seems to work okay, but I don’t have all the commands I need yet.  Do you actually transcribe in the Express Scribe or run a word processor with it?

Did you use a tutorial or have help to learn the software?

Please email me off list if you prefer to let me know what resources you used.

Thank you

David

Scopist65@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lee Anne Atkinson
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:50 AM
Subject: Re: Jaws and Express Scribe

Hi,

I currently use Express Scribe for medical transcription and it is pretty good.  I use a foot pedal to control the dictation, which helps a lot.  There are a pair of slider bars for controlling volume and speed for the mouse users out there but otherwise you can tailor speed/tone/volume/playback through menu choices.  I use the free version. 

Hope that helps.

Lee Anne

Hello,

Thank you

Loreal Lavigna

I am a legal and medical transcriptionist and have been for the past 20 years. I have used Express scribe for nearly 90%  of that time, and find it to be the most accessible and user-friendly program.

Loreal Lavigna
Legal/Medical Transcriptionist
Phone:  (518)330-5188

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019, 5:50 AM Lee Anne Atkinson <lee.atkinson@...> wrote:

Hi,

Hope that helps.

Lee Anne

Hello,

Thank you

Image removed by sender.

Lee Anne Atkinson

Hi,

I transcribe in a Word document so I have the full functionality of Word.  If I need to tweak the play back I switch to Express Scribe and then back to Word. 

L

Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:44 AM

Dear Lee Anne;

I did start up the software and took a try at it.  It seems to work okay, but I don’t have all the commands I need yet.  Do you actually transcribe in the Express Scribe or run a word processor with it?

Thank you

David

Scopist65@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lee Anne Atkinson

Hi,

Hope that helps.

Lee Anne

Hello,

Thank you

David F. <scopist65@...>

Hello,

Is it possible to email me off list?  I have some questions and hate to tie up the list.  I can’t figure out how to reply just to you, control-shift-r doesn’t do it and I can’t find your email after the list heading.

I would like to ask you some questions.

My email is scopist65@...

Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:08 PM

Hi,

I transcribe in a Word document so I have the full functionality of Word.  If I need to tweak the play back I switch to Express Scribe and then back to Word. 

L

Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:44 AM

Dear Lee Anne;

Thank you

David

Scopist65@...

Hi,

Hope that helps.

Lee Anne

Hello,

Thank you

David F. <scopist65@...>

Hello,

Thank you for getting back.  Most encouraging.

Would you maybe be interested in discussing some of the aspects of transcription as a career and using Express Scribe off list.

I hate to tie up a Jaws user list with a huge basket of questions, some about Express Scribe, some about the transcription field itself.

I can be emailed at scopist65@...

I am very pleased to hear you feel the software is very accessible.  I’m just not sure what settings I should change to make it more efficient. Seems you always change a setting or two and if there is a way to email the company NHC I have not found it yet.

I attempted to look at some YouTube tutorials and they sort of helped, but are so visual.  Apparently there are templates, fast fox short-cuts, and other work-improvers.

Thank you for your assistance.

David

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Loreal Lavigna
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 11:39 AM

I am a legal and medical transcriptionist and have been for the past 20 years. I have used Express scribe for nearly 90%  of that time, and find it to be the most accessible and user-friendly program.

Loreal Lavigna
Legal/Medical Transcriptionist
Phone:  (518)330-5188

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019, 5:50 AM Lee Anne Atkinson <lee.atkinson@...> wrote:

Hi,

Hope that helps.

Lee Anne

Hello,

Thank you

Gudrun Brunot

David: I use Express Scribe also, though I'm a translator rather than a
medical transcriptionist. I occasionally get videos to translate.

So, you open the file in Express scribe, and I believe you can either work
directly in that program or use ES for playback only and work in your
favorite word processor. Here is the keyboard reference guide--not too long.

Keyboard reference

F1 Display Help
F2 Play Slow Speed
F3 Play Fast Speed
F4 Stop
F7 Rewind
F8 Fast Forward
F9 Play
F10 Play Real Speed
F11 Play Slow Speed
Ctrl+Num7 Go to start
Ctrl+Num1 Go to End
Ctrl+Del Delete File
Ctrl+A Copy All (Notes Field)
Ctrl+B Set Bookmark
Ctrl+C Copy (Notes Field)
Ctrl+D Dispatch File
Ctrl+H Attach a file
Ctrl+L Load File
Ctrl+Shift+L Load and Delete File
Ctrl+M Show Express Scribe Mini Control
Ctrl+N Done
Ctrl+O Recover File
Ctrl+T Insert Audio Time
Ctrl+V Paste (Notes Field)
Ctrl+W Open Word Processor
Ctrl+X Cut from Notes Field
Alt+F4 Exit Express Scribe
NumPad 2 Select next recording
NumPad 8 Select previous recording
Default System-Wide Hot Keys
(can be changed using Settings / Control)
F2 Play Slow Speed
F3 Play Fast Speed
F4 Stop
F5 Open Express Scribe
F6 Minimize Express Scribe
F7 Rewind
F8 Fast Forward
F9 Play
F10 Play Real Speed
F11 Play Slow Speed
F12 Play Slow Pausing
See also:
Contents
Hot Key Control

Gudrun

Please note my new email of brunotgudrun@...

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David F.
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 5:41 PM

Hello,

I'm new here but joined expressly so that I might ask if anyone on this list
does transcription. It can be medical, legal, or other. If so, what
transcription software do you use? Do you use Express Scribe or another
software package?

Thank you

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campai
gn=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon> Virus-free.
www.avast.com
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campai
gn=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link>