Topics

moderated Possible Bug In File Explorer In Latest Jaws Update

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I just updated to the latest build of Jaws 2019 on this Windows 10 PC.

Most things seem to be working well, and I’m very glad to have the Alt 1 through 6 commands available again for reading Outlook 2016 message fields.

However, I might have discovered a bug in File Explorer with the new Jaws update.

When in a folder list view, I used to be able to create a new folder using the alt control N command.  I found this to be quite handy and efficient.

While I can still create a new folder by finding the option in the file explorer menus, it seems like the alt control N command is no longer working.

Can anyone else check for this bug, and let us know if it is being experienced on other Windows 10 computers with the latest Jaws update?

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Richard Turner

tom,
The Windows command to create a new folder is Control-Shift-N.
Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker

On Jun 15, 2019, at 12:16 PM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Most things seem to be working well, and I’m very glad to have the Alt 1 through 6 commands available again for reading Outlook 2016 message fields.

However, I might have discovered a bug in File Explorer with the new Jaws update.

When in a folder list view, I used to be able to create a new folder using the alt control N command.  I found this to be quite handy and efficient.

While I can still create a new folder by finding the option in the file explorer menus, it seems like the alt control N command is no longer working.

Can anyone else check for this bug, and let us know if it is being experienced on other Windows 10 computers with the latest Jaws update?

Thanks!

Tom Behler

david

Hello; although I've never heard of the keystroke alt+ctrl+n=new folder,

I have heard of ctrl+shift+n=new folder.

on many machines, alt+ctrl+n would activate NVDA.

The impossible is the untried,  Never under estimate the power of a dream.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2019 3:17 PM
To: jfw list <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: Possible Bug In File Explorer In Latest Jaws Update

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

JM Casey

In addition to what has been said about you probably having a small brain freeze and misremembering the command, I’d just like to point out that it’s a Windows command, not a JAWS one – it should work for everyone, screen-reader or no. Not likely that a jAWS update would break it.

Sent: June 15, 2019 3:17 PM

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Yes, I’ve got it now.

Thanks for the memory jog!

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2019 3:21 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Possible Bug In File Explorer In Latest Jaws Update

tom,

The Windows command to create a new folder is Control-Shift-N.

Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker

On Jun 15, 2019, at 12:16 PM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Yep, David;  you are correct.

The key stroke for creating a new folder is indeed control shift n.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of david
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2019 3:26 PM

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

inamuddin khan

Use ctrl+shift+n.

With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:

Charlsdarwin1

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:16 AM
To: jfw list

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Try alt 2 on the number row to create a folder.

Tom

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Sunday, 16 June 2019 6:25 AM

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

I have gotten used to Alt + 2 to create a new folder.

Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:26 PM

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Ashleigh Piccinino

I’m not sure about all plus control plus him to create a new folder. It doesn’t seem to be working for me. However, I am having a new problem. Such a problem will be described in the later message.

On Jun 15, 2019, at 2:16 PM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Ann Byrne

It's ctrl+shift+n, not alt.

At 05:22 AM 6/16/2019, you wrote:
I’m not sure about all plus control plus him to create a new folder. It doesn’t seem to be working for me. However, I am having a new problem. Such a problem will be described in the later message.

On Jun 15, 2019, at 2:16 PM, Tom Behler <<mailto:tombehler@...>tombehler@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

When in a folder list view, I used to be able to create a new folder using the alt control N command. I found this to be quite handy and efficient.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Thanks for this, Tom.

I tried it, and it works as well.

It’s always good to have a second alternative.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2019 10:03 PM

Tom

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Sieghard and all:

I tried alt 2 for creating a new folder, and find it more difficult than control shift N.  I’m sure it’s just a matter of personal preference.

Nevertheless, as I said before, it’s always good to have multiple ways for doing something.

I appreciate this list and the help it provides for questions like this.  Hopefully, we all learn something.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:29 AM

I have gotten used to Alt + 2 to create a new folder.

Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:26 PM

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Steve Nutt

Hi,

It’s because you’re using the incorrect keystroke.

Try Control+Shift+N and be happy.

All the best

Steve

Sent: 15 June 2019 20:17

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Steve Nutt

Never heard of that one, but it does indeed work.  Thanks.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: 16 June 2019 03:03

Tom

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

Thanks!

Tom Behler