Topics

moderated Possible Bug In File Explorer In Latest Jaws Update

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I just updated to the latest build of Jaws 2019 on this Windows 10 PC.

Most things seem to be working well, and I’m very glad to have the Alt 1 through 6 commands available again for reading Outlook 2016 message fields.

However, I might have discovered a bug in File Explorer with the new Jaws update.

When in a folder list view, I used to be able to create a new folder using the alt control N command.  I found this to be quite handy and efficient.

While I can still create a new folder by finding the option in the file explorer menus, it seems like the alt control N command is no longer working.

Can anyone else check for this bug, and let us know if it is being experienced on other Windows 10 computers with the latest Jaws update?

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Richard Turner

tom,
The Windows command to create a new folder is Control-Shift-N.
Richard

On Jun 15, 2019, at 12:16 PM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I just updated to the latest build of Jaws 2019 on this Windows 10 PC.

Most things seem to be working well, and I’m very glad to have the Alt 1 through 6 commands available again for reading Outlook 2016 message fields.

However, I might have discovered a bug in File Explorer with the new Jaws update.

When in a folder list view, I used to be able to create a new folder using the alt control N command.  I found this to be quite handy and efficient.

While I can still create a new folder by finding the option in the file explorer menus, it seems like the alt control N command is no longer working.

Can anyone else check for this bug, and let us know if it is being experienced on other Windows 10 computers with the latest Jaws update?

Thanks!

Tom Behler

david

Hello; although I've never heard of the keystroke alt+ctrl+n=new folder,

I have heard of ctrl+shift+n=new folder.

on many machines, alt+ctrl+n would activate NVDA.

I just updated to the latest build of Jaws 2019 on this Windows 10 PC.

Most things seem to be working well, and I’m very glad to have the Alt 1 through 6 commands available again for reading Outlook 2016 message fields.

However, I might have discovered a bug in File Explorer with the new Jaws update.

When in a folder list view, I used to be able to create a new folder using the alt control N command.  I found this to be quite handy and efficient.

While I can still create a new folder by finding the option in the file explorer menus, it seems like the alt control N command is no longer working.

Can anyone else check for this bug, and let us know if it is being experienced on other Windows 10 computers with the latest Jaws update?

Thanks!

Tom Behler

JM Casey

In addition to what has been said about you probably having a small brain freeze and misremembering the command, I’d just like to point out that it’s a Windows command, not a JAWS one – it should work for everyone, screen-reader or no. Not likely that a jAWS update would break it.

I just updated to the latest build of Jaws 2019 on this Windows 10 PC.

Most things seem to be working well, and I’m very glad to have the Alt 1 through 6 commands available again for reading Outlook 2016 message fields.

However, I might have discovered a bug in File Explorer with the new Jaws update.

When in a folder list view, I used to be able to create a new folder using the alt control N command.  I found this to be quite handy and efficient.

While I can still create a new folder by finding the option in the file explorer menus, it seems like the alt control N command is no longer working.

Can anyone else check for this bug, and let us know if it is being experienced on other Windows 10 computers with the latest Jaws update?

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Yes, I’ve got it now.

Thanks for the memory jog!

Tom Behler

[...]

Yep, David;  you are correct.

The key stroke for creating a new folder is indeed control shift n.

Tom Behler

[...]

inamuddin khan

Use ctrl+shift+n.

Charlsdarwin1

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I just updated to the latest build of Jaws 2019 on this Windows 10 PC.

Most things seem to be working well, and I’m very glad to have the Alt 1 through 6 commands available again for reading Outlook 2016 message fields.

However, I might have discovered a bug in File Explorer with the new Jaws update.

When in a folder list view, I used to be able to create a new folder using the alt control N command.  I found this to be quite handy and efficient.

While I can still create a new folder by finding the option in the file explorer menus, it seems like the alt control N command is no longer working.

Can anyone else check for this bug, and let us know if it is being experienced on other Windows 10 computers with the latest Jaws update?

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Try alt 2 on the number row to create a folder.

Tom

[...]

I have gotten used to Alt + 2 to create a new folder.

[...]

Ashleigh Piccinino

I’m not sure about all plus control plus him to create a new folder. It doesn’t seem to be working for me. However, I am having a new problem. Such a problem will be described in the later message.

On Jun 15, 2019, at 2:16 PM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I just updated to the latest build of Jaws 2019 on this Windows 10 PC.

Most things seem to be working well, and I’m very glad to have the Alt 1 through 6 commands available again for reading Outlook 2016 message fields.

However, I might have discovered a bug in File Explorer with the new Jaws update.

When in a folder list view, I used to be able to create a new folder using the alt control N command.  I found this to be quite handy and efficient.

While I can still create a new folder by finding the option in the file explorer menus, it seems like the alt control N command is no longer working.

Can anyone else check for this bug, and let us know if it is being experienced on other Windows 10 computers with the latest Jaws update?

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Ann Byrne

It's ctrl+shift+n, not alt.

On Jun 15, 2019, at 2:16 PM, Tom Behler <<mailto:tombehler@...>tombehler@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for this, Tom.

I tried it, and it works as well.

It’s always good to have a second alternative.

Tom Behler

[...]

Sieghard and all:

I tried alt 2 for creating a new folder, and find it more difficult than control shift N.  I’m sure it’s just a matter of personal preference.

Nevertheless, as I said before, it’s always good to have multiple ways for doing something.

I appreciate this list and the help it provides for questions like this.  Hopefully, we all learn something.

[...]

Steve Nutt

Hi,

It’s because you’re using the incorrect keystroke.

Try Control+Shift+N and be happy.

All the best

Steve

I just updated to the latest build of Jaws 2019 on this Windows 10 PC.

Most things seem to be working well, and I’m very glad to have the Alt 1 through 6 commands available again for reading Outlook 2016 message fields.

However, I might have discovered a bug in File Explorer with the new Jaws update.

When in a folder list view, I used to be able to create a new folder using the alt control N command.  I found this to be quite handy and efficient.

While I can still create a new folder by finding the option in the file explorer menus, it seems like the alt control N command is no longer working.

Can anyone else check for this bug, and let us know if it is being experienced on other Windows 10 computers with the latest Jaws update?

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Steve Nutt

Never heard of that one, but it does indeed work.  Thanks.

All the best

Steve