moderated Accessing files using Jaws and Googledrive

Justin Mcdevitt <jhmcdev@...>

Hello,

I received a file in Googledrives earlier today. Although I access the internet using Google, I have not worked with Google drives in terms of opening and reading files.

I would appreciate some direction in terms of keystroke commands and any additional information that would be helpful/valuable to know regarding navigation. .

Best, Justin

Quite a bit more information would be needed, as Google Drive files can be sent and accessed by a number of means.

Is the file being sent as an attachment on e-mail?   If so, the e-mail client should be able to download it.

Is it being sent to you via a link in an e-mail message?

Is someone sharing a folder and/or file on Google Drive with specific individuals?  If so, do you have Google Drive Sync installed on your computer which allows Google Drive content, including shared content, to be viewed within File Explorer just like your local files are.

       ~ Lauren Bacall

Jerry Berrier <jerry.berrier@...>

This really requires more than can be given in an e-mail, but here are a few things.

Once you have Drive open:

Jaws key-z to turn off the virtual cursor. It will turn back on every time you go to a different window, so you always need to remember to keep turning it off.

Once it is off.

gn puts you in navigation mode, and then you can use the arrow keys to find files and folders.

Gl puts you in files mode, so you can arrow up and down through the files in the current folder.

Enter on a file to open it.

This barely scratches the surface.  I recommend you find one of the many tutorials available for JAWS users online to learn the Google products.

Jerry Berrier

Director of Education Technology

Perkins School for the Blind
175 North Beacon Street
Watertown MA 02472
P: 617-972-7826
Perkins.org

Perkins School for the Blind Logo

Facebook Link IconTwitter Link IconInstagram Link IconLinkedIn Link IconPinterest Link Icon