google hangouts with jaws 19

William Windels

Hello,

I am learning to work with google hangouts

On ios, it works great but on windows, with google chrome and jaws 19, I can’t find the history of my chats.

On ios, I can simply select the chat I want and talk directly to the person in that chat.

And, If I start a new chat, all goes well but, when switching between the history of that chat and the edit-field for new imput from me, I should do different tabs , depending on the place where I am in the history of the chat.

So, any hints , tutorials , hotkeys for working with hangouts and jaws would be great.

Kind regards,

William Windels

Incident Manager SWF

02/506 0 487 / 0477 88 4276 (ik werk niet op maandag- en vrijdag namiddag)

Are you using the hangouts.google.com web page, or using the Hangouts App that can be added to Google Chrome?
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

David & his pack of dogs

I thought Google hang outs was on its way out because of not enough people using it and the competitive market out there. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of William Windels
Sent: May 22, 2019 12:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: google hangouts with jaws 19

Hello,

I am learning to work with google hangouts

On ios, it works great but on windows, with google chrome and jaws 19, I can’t find the history of my chats.

On ios, I can simply select the chat I want and talk directly to the person in that chat.

And, If I start a new chat, all goes well but, when switching between the history of that chat and the edit-field for new imput from me, I should do different tabs , depending on the place where I am in the history of the chat.

So, any hints , tutorials , hotkeys for working with hangouts and jaws would be great.

Kind regards,

William Windels

Incident Manager SWF

David,

Yes and no:  https://www.techspot.com/news/78389-google-hangouts-officially-retired-october.html

For the time being, if you need to use Hangouts, you need to use the interfaces that are currently available.  Hangouts isn't entirely dead, it's the way it's served up.
--

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

William Windels

Hi Brian,

I have installed the plugin for google chrome.

Jaws is no speaking the incomming tekst of a new message so this is a good step forwards.

It would be nice if I can find a kind of list where the history of the incomming messages is shown.

And it would be great if i could reply (and start a new conversation from there.

Thx in advance,

Kind regards,

William Windels

I am using teh

William Windels

Incident Manager SWF

Van: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] Namens Brian Vogel
Verzonden: woensdag 22 mei 2019 16:13
Aan: main@jfw.groups.io
Onderwerp: Re: google hangouts with jaws 19

Are you using the hangouts.google.com web page, or using the Hangouts App that can be added to Google Chrome?
--

~ Lauren Bacall

William,

I have been playing with the Hangouts App using NVDA with a combination of traditional and object navigation, the latter of which is the equivalent of the touch cursor in JAWS if memory is serving.   I still don't have the hang of it entirely, but I do know that once I get to the conversations list I have to change mode to move "person by person" or "conversation by conversation" down that list.  But right now, once I transition to the actual messages list for a conversation I can get them to read, but I cannot seem to transition back to the conversations list for love nor money.

Someone who uses JAWS with the Hangouts App will need to speak to the issues with JAWS and the App and navigating it directly.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Jay <jcoffin@...>

Hi.

I find if you have forms mode set to manual, then navigate to where you want to  go that works just fine. As for getting the app to start so you can sign in, the best way is to switch on touch navigation, press right arrow until you hear google hangouts, then press enter.  then press the plus key on the numpad to switch back to pc mode, then type your username and password to log in. When you get to the main hangouts window press c until you hear conversations list box, then press enter. You can navigate through your list of conversations by pressing either up or down arrow keys. When you hear the conversation you want, press enter and you will be taken to that particular conversation. When you want to switch conversations, as far as I am aware there is no particular way to do this while keeping the active conversation open, so press escape to close that conversation window, then repeat the  steps to get to the new conversation you want to view.  Press c to get to the conversations list box, press enter and arrow to the conversation you want then press enter. Hope this helps, and if you have anymore questions, feel free to write back.

Jay.  

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2019 10:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: google hangouts with jaws 19

William,

I have been playing with the Hangouts App using NVDA with a combination of traditional and object navigation, the latter of which is the equivalent of the touch cursor in JAWS if memory is serving.   I still don't have the hang of it entirely, but I do know that once I get to the conversations list I have to change mode to move "person by person" or "conversation by conversation" down that list.  But right now, once I transition to the actual messages list for a conversation I can get them to read, but I cannot seem to transition back to the conversations list for love nor money.

Someone who uses JAWS with the Hangouts App will need to speak to the issues with JAWS and the App and navigating it directly.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Jay,

As an aside, if you actually log in to Google Chrome itself, you will automatically be logged in to the Chrome Hangouts App using the same account when you activate the control to bring up the window.

I can't recall the last time I logged in to the Hangouts App since I'm always logged in to Chrome itself.

--

~ Lauren Bacall

Jay <jcoffin@...>

Thanks bryan. Forgot to mention that.  

On May 27, 2019, at 10:53 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Jay,

As an aside, if you actually log in to Google Chrome itself, you will automatically be logged in to the Chrome Hangouts App using the same account when you activate the control to bring up the window.

I can't recall the last time I logged in to the Hangouts App since I'm always logged in to Chrome itself.

--

~ Lauren Bacall