Topics

Saving a PDF in Word

David Kingsbury

Hello,

I am using JAWS 2019 with Word 365.  When I hit F12 to save a document, and I want to save it as a PDF, when I go to the save as file type combo box, arrow down to PDF, tab to the save button and hit enter, it says the file is being used by another application or user and will not save it. This used to work. Any ideas about what I should do?save it as a PDF

Hi David,

This might be a good question for Microsoft accessibility. I rarely use Word, but I just opened a blank Word document, typed something and then did what you described, i.e. I pressed F12, I typed a file name, selected “PDF” from the format drop-down and then selected a folder and I was able to save the document as a Pdf without a problem.

I also use Office 365 with Windows 10 and Jaws 2019. As an alternative and as long as you use Windows 10, you could always print the document and select “Microsoft Print to PDF”, this will also create an accessible PDF file.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Kingsbury
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 3:39 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Saving a PDF in Word

Hello,

I am using JAWS 2019 with Word 365.  When I hit F12 to save a document, and I want to save it as a PDF, when I go to the save as file type combo box, arrow down to PDF, tab to the save button and hit enter, it says the file is being used by another application or user and will not save it. This used to work. Any ideas about what I should do?save it as a PDF

Tom Behler

Hello:

In word 2016 or later, Control F12 will allow you to convert a PDF to a Microsoft Word document, after which you can save it accordingly.

I find that this works better for some PDF’s and not others, but it’s just another tool to have in your tool box.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: Saving a PDF in Word

Hi David,

This might be a good question for Microsoft accessibility. I rarely use Word, but I just opened a blank Word document, typed something and then did what you described, i.e. I pressed F12, I typed a file name, selected “PDF” from the format drop-down and then selected a folder and I was able to save the document as a Pdf without a problem.

I also use Office 365 with Windows 10 and Jaws 2019. As an alternative and as long as you use Windows 10, you could always print the document and select “Microsoft Print to PDF”, this will also create an accessible PDF file.

Regards,

Sieghard

Hello,

Marty Hutchings

Tom,  How do you get the PDF into Word to be able to save it as a Word Document?

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:22 AM

Hello:

In word 2016 or later, Control F12 will allow you to convert a PDF to a Microsoft Word document, after which you can save it accordingly.

I find that this works better for some PDF’s and not others, but it’s just another tool to have in your tool box.

Tom Behler

Hi David,

Regards,

Sieghard

Hello,

Tom Behler

Marty:

When in word, hit control F12.

Then, tab over to “open”, and highlight the PDF you want to convert to a Word document.

Hit enter on open, and you will get a message saying that the conversion will begin once you give your ok.

Once the conversion is done, the file will be an editable Word document, and will have the .docx file extension.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:56 PM

Tom,  How do you get the PDF into Word to be able to save it as a Word Document?

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

Hello:

Tom Behler

Hi David,

Regards,

Sieghard

Hello,

Marty Hutchings

Perfect, I get it now.
Thanks.

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:01 PM

Marty:

When in word, hit control F12.

Then, tab over to “open”, and highlight the PDF you want to convert to a Word document.

Hit enter on open, and you will get a message saying that the conversion will begin once you give your ok.

Once the conversion is done, the file will be an editable Word document, and will have the .docx file extension.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:56 PM

Love in Christ
Marty

Hello:

Tom Behler

Hi David,

Regards,

Sieghard

Hello,