Topics

Turning on DVS on a video link

Don Walls

I’m wondering if someone can help.  When I go to CBC TV’s website and press the link to the video of a TV program, I don’t know how to turn on descriptive video service.  Apparently there’s a button but I can’t find it on my PC connection.  Last week, while away from home, I listened to a CBC TV program using my IPod Touch.  Again, no discernible DVS link but as the program was finishing, lo and behold, a descriptive link was announced, I pressed it and got the last minute with DVS!

Any suggestions?

Don

Richard Turner

Not being in Canada, I'm not sure, but do they have a customer service line you could call, or at least write?
On your iPod Touch, check under accessibility settings, and in the media section, make sure Audio description is on.
That could do it for you but you still may need their link to enable the service.
HTH,
Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker

On May 19, 2019, at 11:08 PM, Don Walls <donwalls@...> wrote:

I’m wondering if someone can help.  When I go to CBC TV’s website and press the link to the video of a TV program, I don’t know how to turn on descriptive video service.  Apparently there’s a button but I can’t find it on my PC connection.  Last week, while away from home, I listened to a CBC TV program using my IPod Touch.  Again, no discernible DVS link but as the program was finishing, lo and behold, a descriptive link was announced, I pressed it and got the last minute with DVS!

Any suggestions?

Don

Hi Don,

Could you provide a bit more information about where exactly you go? Are you on https://gem.cbc.ca

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Walls
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2019 11:08 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Turning on DVS on a video link

Any suggestions?

Don

David & his pack of dogs

Try calling the Apple help desk at 1-877-204-3930

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: May 20, 2019 6:23 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Turning on DVS on a video link

Not being in Canada, I'm not sure, but do they have a customer service line you could call, or at least write?

On your iPod Touch, check under accessibility settings, and in the media section, make sure Audio description is on.

That could do it for you but you still may need their link to enable the service.

HTH,

Richard

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker

Any suggestions?

Don

I think Don is asking how to turn on descriptions when using a PC, if you use an iOS device you probably get the best experience if you download the CBC Gem app.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David & his pack of dogs
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:53 AM

Try calling the Apple help desk at 1-877-204-3930

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: May 20, 2019 6:23 AM

HTH,

Richard

Any suggestions?

Don

Don Walls

I usually just go to cbc.ca, then / and the name of whatever program I want.  When I did phone the CBC, I was told there’s a button to press to turn on DVS, but I couldn’t find it.  I only used my IPod Touch once, when away from home, and that’s when the DVS link appeared near the end of the video being played.

Don

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:52 AM

Hi Don,

Could you provide a bit more information about where exactly you go? Are you on https://gem.cbc.ca

Regards,

Sieghard

Any suggestions?

Don

Could you send a link of one of the programs?

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:19 AM

I usually just go to cbc.ca, then / and the name of whatever program I want.  When I did phone the CBC, I was told there’s a button to press to turn on DVS, but I couldn’t find it.  I only used my IPod Touch once, when away from home, and that’s when the DVS link appeared near the end of the video being played.

Don

Hi Don,

Regards,

Sieghard

Any suggestions?

Don

Don Walls

You could try

cbc.ca/coronation

Don

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 11:06 AM

Don

Hi Don,

Regards,

Sieghard

Any suggestions?

Don

Hi Don,

I tried this link, but when the website loads and I click on Watch Full Episodes of Coronation Street, I am redirected to the CBC ?Gem website.

The trick here is to turn of the virtual PC cursor with Jaws Key + Z, then tab to the episode you want to listen to and press enter. If it starts playing press “d” for “described” and audio descriptions will start.

Space or enter will pause/play.

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 11:58 AM

You could try

cbc.ca/coronation

Don

Don

Hi Don,

Regards,

Sieghard

Any suggestions?

Don

Don Walls

This is great.  Thanks, because nowadays many CBC TV programs have DVS.

Don

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 12:40 PM

Hi Don,

I tried this link, but when the website loads and I click on Watch Full Episodes of Coronation Street, I am redirected to the CBC ?Gem website.

The trick here is to turn of the virtual PC cursor with Jaws Key + Z, then tab to the episode you want to listen to and press enter. If it starts playing press “d” for “described” and audio descriptions will start.

Space or enter will pause/play.

You could try

cbc.ca/coronation

Don

Don

Hi Don,

Regards,

Sieghard

Any suggestions?

Don

Here is a little help article I found:

Activating described video on CBC Gem

Should you wish to activate described video on gem.cbc.ca, simply click on the "D))" icon which appears at the bottom of the viewing screen, as shown below:

Please note that the described video will only activate 5 - 10 seconds after clicking on this icon, so it is important that you click on it once (and only once), and wait.

Similarly, should you wish to deactivate described video, you will need to click on the icon once, and wait for 5 - 10 seconds for the change to take effect.

Of course this means clicking on an icon, but pressing D without the virtual cursor active will do the same as clicking the icon.

I found that described audio started playing almost instantly and pressing D again turned it off almost instantly, but I do have a very fast fiber connection and I assume they mention the 5 to 10 seconds in cases where people have a slower internet connection.

The below CBC Help webpage goes into a bit more detail and lists available keyboard shortcuts for turning described video on/off, also for closed captioning, turning volume up or down or fast forwarding/rewinding:

Tips for using the video player

I would still recommend you try the free CBC Gem app on your iPod Touch.

Best regards,

Sieghard

You could try

cbc.ca/coronation

Don

Don

Hi Don,

Regards,

Sieghard

Any suggestions?

Don

Don Walls

Sieghard, thanks for the link to the help article.  I tried JAWS key plus z and got virtual cursor, then JAWS read nothing.  On the CBC Gems page I arrowed around but could not find the DVS or CC icons.

Don

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 12:48 PM

Should you wish to activate described video on gem.cbc.ca, simply click on the "D))" icon which appears at the bottom of the viewing screen, as shown below:

Please note that the described video will only activate 5 - 10 seconds after clicking on this icon, so it is important that you click on it once (and only once), and wait.

Similarly, should you wish to deactivate described video, you will need to click on the icon once, and wait for 5 - 10 seconds for the change to take effect.

Of course this means clicking on an icon, but pressing D without the virtual cursor active will do the same as clicking the icon.

I found that described audio started playing almost instantly and pressing D again turned it off almost instantly, but I do have a very fast fiber connection and I assume they mention the 5 to 10 seconds in cases where people have a slower internet connection.

The below CBC Help webpage goes into a bit more detail and lists available keyboard shortcuts for turning described video on/off, also for closed captioning, turning volume up or down or fast forwarding/rewinding:

Best regards,

Sieghard

You could try

cbc.ca/coronation

Don

Don

Hi Don,

Regards,

Sieghard

Any suggestions?

Don

Don,

If the virtual cursor is off you don’t have to arrow or tab or anything, just press the letter “d”, press enter for play or pause etc., it works well for me.

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 1:01 PM

Sieghard, thanks for the link to the help article.  I tried JAWS key plus z and got virtual cursor, then JAWS read nothing.  On the CBC Gems page I arrowed around but could not find the DVS or CC icons.

Don

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 12:48 PM

Best regards,

Sieghard

You could try

cbc.ca/coronation

Don

Don

Hi Don,

Regards,

Sieghard

Any suggestions?

Don

Ashleigh Piccinino

If you are using your iPad, go to settings. Then go to General and Accessibility. Under, “media, “heading, go to where it says audio descriptions. Make sure this is on bye  going into this and making sure prefer  audio descriptions is on. Text beside this should say something like, “when available, Use audio descriptions. “It’s a little hard to get to, but after you get into settings and general, switch your rotor to headings. Then, just go to the heading that says media. Need anymore help? Right back to me personally, or write back to this group.
Thank you for your question and I hope it helped, me giving detailed instructions.
Ashleigh Piccinino

On May 20, 2019, at 1:08 AM, Don Walls <donwalls@...> wrote:

Any suggestions?

Don

Don is not using an app for this, he wants to hear described video when playing CBC programs via the CBC website on his computer.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ashleigh Piccinino
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:28 AM

If you are using your iPad, go to settings. Then go to General and Accessibility. Under, “media, “heading, go to where it says audio descriptions. Make sure this is on bye  going into this and making sure prefer  audio descriptions is on. Text beside this should say something like, “when available, Use audio descriptions. “It’s a little hard to get to, but after you get into settings and general, switch your rotor to headings. Then, just go to the heading that says media. Need anymore help? Right back to me personally, or write back to this group.
Thank you for your question and I hope it helped, me giving detailed instructions.
Ashleigh Piccinino

Any suggestions?

Don

David & his pack of dogs

Since I rarely watch and even more rarely listen to CBC (Corn Broadcasting Company) I’m wondering if they even offer audio description on their videos/TV programs?  If so, should they not be dealing with this problem?  I understand the reverend’s concerns, just wondering if he is not lamenting to the wrong people.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: May 21, 2019 7:18 AM

Don is not using an app for this, he wants to hear described video when playing CBC programs via the CBC website on his computer.

Ashleigh Piccinino

Any suggestions?

Don

Don asked a perfectly legitimate question and I am Not sure if your sarcasm and opinion of the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation for those who are not from Canada) is very useful here.

appropriate here. Obviously you don’t know that almost all the programs the CBC offers have described audio. The CBC also has a strong accessibility statement and as all government Canada websites theirs also is very accessible as are their iOS apps such as CBC News, CBC Music etc.

If you had read my replies you would have also read the explanations I provided as to how to turn on described audio for programs on the CBC TV website.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David & his pack of dogs
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:44 AM

Since I rarely watch and even more rarely listen to CBC (Corn Broadcasting Company) I’m wondering if they even offer audio description on their videos/TV programs?  If so, should they not be dealing with this problem?  I understand the reverend’s concerns, just wondering if he is not lamenting to the wrong people.   

Ashleigh Piccinino

Any suggestions?

Don

Don Walls

Ashley, I appreciate your instructions, which will help if I use my IPod.  However, my question was focused on my PC.

Don

Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:27 AM

If you are using your iPad, go to settings. Then go to General and Accessibility. Under, “media, “heading, go to where it says audio descriptions. Make sure this is on bye  going into this and making sure prefer  audio descriptions is on. Text beside this should say something like, “when available, Use audio descriptions. “It’s a little hard to get to, but after you get into settings and general, switch your rotor to headings. Then, just go to the heading that says media. Need anymore help? Right back to me personally, or write back to this group.
Ashleigh Piccinino

Any suggestions?

Don

David & his pack of dogs

The comment was based solely on the fact that this topic has been going on for days.  Thus I mused if the problem was with the CBC. No, I did not read your comment in its entirety for the reason mentioned above.  I thought this is covering something that has already been  beaten to death and rehashed, died then resurrected again. I apologize if my opinion of the CBC offended you and others. The expression I used to refer to the CBC was used by someone from the U K not mine. The CBC does have a purpose.      

Sent: May 21, 2019 7:52 AM

Don asked a perfectly legitimate question and I am Not sure if your sarcasm and opinion of the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation for those who are not from Canada) is very useful here.

appropriate here. Obviously you don’t know that almost all the programs the CBC offers have described audio. The CBC also has a strong accessibility statement and as all government Canada websites theirs also is very accessible as are their iOS apps such as CBC News, CBC Music etc.

If you had read my replies you would have also read the explanations I provided as to how to turn on described audio for programs on the CBC TV website.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:44 AM

Ashleigh Piccinino

Any suggestions?

Don

Shan Noyes

On May 21, 2019, at 8:44 AM, David & his pack of dogs <myguidedogis@...> wrote:

Ashleigh Piccinino

Any suggestions?

Don