Topics

Changing Character set in which Thunderbird emails are composed

Bill White

Hi. I am asking this question for a friend who uses the Thunderbird email program. How does one change the character set in which email is composed either from unicode to iso-8859-1 or the reverse? I don’t use the program, so I would need to know exactly where to tell him to navigate in the options to change the character set.

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

This is achieved via the Display Options, of all things, rather than the Composition Options, which is where I'd expect it.

1. ALT+T, O,O then hit enter - Bring up Tbird menu, Options, the "Options" option.
2. Right or Left Arrow until you have focus on the Display options.
3. Gain focus on the Formatting tab (which should have focus by default) then navigate to the Advanced button (only one, and related to font) and activate it.
4. The Text Encoding section has two items:  Outgoing Mail (direct access to the dropdown, ALT+U) and Incoming Mail (direct access to the dropdown, ALT+I, which seems inconsistent about working, but it's right after the Outgoing Mail dropdown)

You have to select from the list of encodings available for each to set what you want as the default, then navigate to the OK button to begin OK-ing your way back out through the various settings panes.

The problem with values voting is that it completely puts to the side or totally obviates past performance, the effectiveness of policies proposed, intelligence and judgment — you know, the qualities that actually matter for someone who wants to lead the free world.

     ~ Zareh Delanchian