Topics

Jaws Distorted Speech Problem Has Returned

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

You may recall that last week, I had a Jaws distorted speech problem with my Dell Windows 10 computer.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling the Windows generic sound card driver and replacing it with a realtech driver thanks to an executable file from Mike Mote.

Unfortunately, my problem has returned, but in a different form.

My jaws speech is slightly distorted in the laptop speakers, and when I use headphones, I get stereo sound with a slight reverberation, rather than Jaws being in the center of the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this latest issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks as always.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Pat Byrne

The gift that keeps on giving!!
Pat ByrneAt 09:40 AM 5/12/2019, you wrote:

Hello, everyone.

You may recall that last week, I had a Jaws distorted speech problem with my Dell Windows 10 computer.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling the Windows generic sound card driver and replacing it with a realtech driver thanks to an executable file from Mike Mote.

Unfortunately, my problem has returned, but in a different form.

My jaws speech is slightly distorted in the laptop speakers, and when I use headphones, I get stereo sound with a slight reverberation, rather than Jaws being in the center of the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this latest issue?

I'm using the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks as always.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Randy Barnett

You need to go into the sound card properties and disable all enhancements. The actual title of this settings varies from card to card so just look for something similar.

On 5/12/2019 7:40 AM, Tom Behler wrote:

Hello, everyone.

You may recall that last week, I had a Jaws distorted speech problem with my Dell Windows 10 computer.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling the Windows generic sound card driver and replacing it with a realtech driver thanks to an executable file from Mike Mote.

Unfortunately, my problem has returned, but in a different form.

My jaws speech is slightly distorted in the laptop speakers, and when I use headphones, I get stereo sound with a slight reverberation, rather than Jaws being in the center of the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this latest issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks as always.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Randy:

I’ve looked, but haven’t yet found the enhancements setting under properties for my particular sound card.

I know I looked for it last week when the problem first occurred, but was unsuccessful in locating it then as well.

Tom Behler

[...]

John Covici

Are you sure you are still using the realtech driver?

On Sun, 12 May 2019 14:16:57 -0400,
Tom Behler wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Tom Behler

Yes, I believe so.

The problem occurs whether I use the Windows default sound card or the
real-tech sound card.

In other words, switching sound cards in the Jaws utilities menu does not
make a difference.

Tom Behler

[...]

Mike B

Hi Tom,

In this case the default soundcard and the Realtech soundcard are 1 in the same since the Realtech is your only soundcard and set as the default, from what I'm understanding anyways.

Tom Behler wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> [2  <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Randy:
>

> I?ve looked, but haven?t yet found the enhancements setting under
properties for my particular sound card.

> I know I looked for it last week when the problem first occurred, but was
unsuccessful in locating it then as well.

> Tom Behler

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici@...

Tom Behler

Mike:

It’s really strange, because under sound card in the Jaws utilities menu, I have two selections—default sound card, and realtech sound card.  I can check or un-check either of them, and the change makes no difference.

I think I’m going to call Freedom Scientific and perhaps the Microsoft Accessibility Hotline about this tomorrow.

In my view, this is an issue that both FS and Microsoft need to be aware of, and I have a hard time believing I’m the only one experiencing it.

Again, the problem recurred after a documented Windows 10 sound driver update yesterday evening.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> [2  <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Randy:
>

> I?ve looked, but haven?t yet found the enhancements setting under
properties for my particular sound card.

> I know I looked for it last week when the problem first occurred, but was
unsuccessful in locating it then as well.

> Tom Behler

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici@...

Mike B

Tom,

That's because they're one in the same.  Since the Realtech soundcard is the only one installed you could use either one.  Windows Default is an option, for lack of a better explanation, there by default.  In short both options lead to the same place.

Tom Behler wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> [2  <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Randy:
>

> I?ve looked, but haven?t yet found the enhancements setting under
properties for my particular sound card.

> I know I looked for it last week when the problem first occurred, but was
unsuccessful in locating it then as well.

> Tom Behler

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici@...

Randy Barnett

Windows default will switch between whatever soundcard you have when windows switches to it. When you slide real tag and you have multiple cards and matter what card the system select jars will still use RealTech so say I have three soundcards so card one soundcard to soundcard three. When I use windows to switch between soundcards Joshua switch between them also but if I select sound card to for jaws the matter what soundcard windows uses one two or three jars were always you sound card to

Randy Barnett owner of soundtique

Tom Behler wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> [2  <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Randy:
>

> I?ve looked, but haven?t yet found the enhancements setting under
properties for my particular sound card.

> I know I looked for it last week when the problem first occurred, but was
unsuccessful in locating it then as well.

> Tom Behler

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una