Distorted Jaws Speech After Dell Update

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Michael Mote

Hi Tom.  If you know what type of sound card you have in your computer, you can update the drivers for that particular card.  Windows 0 is bad about changing the drivers to generic ones.  I had this happen to me just yesterday, and when I updated the drivers, things worked better for me.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

This has nothing to do with Jaws but is a soundcard driver issue or maybe some setting for your soundcard got turned on. You should go to your soundcard properties and make sure all enhancements are turned off, this can be called all sorts of things by various manufacturers, just take a look and it should be relatively obvious. If that doesn’t help you may need to roll back your soundcard driver.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Mario

try unloading and reloading JAWS with an insert+f4 and spacebar, and
then starting JAWS. if that doesn't help, try rebooting the laptop.
any better?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech
sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I'm using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

I did those steps, and nothing changed.

I think something got changed with the sound card.

Tom Behler

try unloading and reloading JAWS with an insert+f4 and spacebar, and then
starting JAWS. if that doesn't help, try rebooting the laptop.
any better?
I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech
sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I'm using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Chris Hill

Could always roll back sound card driver in device manager.

On May 8, 2019, at 10:27, Tom Behler <tombehler@gmail.com> wrote:

netbat66

try checking your sound card settings. most windows versions have an option to turn off all sound enhancements. this will improve speech clarity. but this will also remove a lot of base when playing music.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Hello.

I have not yet found out how to turn off all sound enhancements, but will keep looking.

If anyone has suggestions as to where to find this option under sound card settings, please let me know.

Tom Behler

try checking your sound card settings. most windows versions have an option to turn off all sound enhancements. this will improve speech clarity. but this will also remove a lot of base when playing music.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds
rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Mike B

Hi Tom,

Try the following:
1. Open the Control Panel, go to the Sounds link and press enter.
2. Control + Tab to Playback devices and select the Realtech soundcard.
3. Tab to, Properties, and press the spacebar and Control + Tab to the Enhancements page / tab.  Here's where you'll find what you're looking for.

I have not yet found out how to turn off all sound enhancements, but will keep looking.

If anyone has suggestions as to where to find this option under sound card settings, please let me know.

Tom Behler

try checking your sound card settings. most windows versions have an option to turn off all sound enhancements. this will improve speech clarity. but this will also remove a lot of base when playing music.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds
rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

netbat66

it won't show the name of the card. it says something like digital speakers and default for the one that is being used. then click on properties.

1. Open the Control Panel, go to the Sounds link and press enter.
2. Control + Tab to Playback devices and select the Realtech soundcard.
3. Tab to, Properties, and press the spacebar and Control + Tab to the Enhancements page / tab. Here's where you'll find what you're looking for.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!
I have not yet found out how to turn off all sound enhancements, but will keep looking.

If anyone has suggestions as to where to find this option under sound card settings, please let me know.

Tom Behler

try checking your sound card settings. most windows versions have an option to turn off all sound enhancements. this will improve speech clarity. but this will also remove a lot of base when playing music.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds
rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Sieghard:

I couldn’t find anything about turning off enhancements, but I did try to roll back my sound card driver.

And, rolling back the sound card driver did not make any difference.

Tom Behler

This has nothing to do with Jaws but is a soundcard driver issue or maybe some setting for your soundcard got turned on. You should go to your soundcard properties and make sure all enhancements are turned off, this can be called all sorts of things by various manufacturers, just take a look and it should be relatively obvious. If that doesn’t help you may need to roll back your soundcard driver.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

I tried rolling back the sound card driver, and that did not help.

Tom Behler

Could always roll back sound card driver in device manager.
On May 8, 2019, at 10:27, Tom Behler <tombehler@gmail.com> wrote:

Mike B

I wonder why that might happen?  My computer names both soundcards.

it won't show the name of the card. it says something like digital speakers and
default for the one that is being used. then click on properties.

1. Open the Control Panel, go to the Sounds link and press enter.
2. Control + Tab to Playback devices and select the Realtech soundcard.
3. Tab to, Properties, and press the spacebar and Control + Tab to the
Enhancements page / tab.  Here's where you'll find what you're looking for.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody.

try checking your sound card settings. most windows versions have an option to
turn off all sound enhancements. this will improve speech clarity. but this
will also remove a lot of base when playing music.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds
rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

netbat66

i only have the on board realtec chipset the name is only in the device manager not in the sound card settings on my computer.

I wonder why that might happen? My computer names both soundcards.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!
it won't show the name of the card. it says something like digital speakers and
default for the one that is being used. then click on properties.

try checking your sound card settings. most windows versions have an option to
turn off all sound enhancements. this will improve speech clarity. but this
will also remove a lot of base when playing music.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds
rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Shankar C

hi there,
try this, it may help you to resolve the issue.
turn off the Spatial sound from the notification tray, and see if it works.

On 5/9/19, netbat66 <netbat66@gmail.com> wrote:
i only have the on board realtec chipset the name is only in the device
manager
not in the sound card settings on my computer.

it won't show the name of the card. it says something like digital speakers
and
default for the one that is being used. then click on properties.

try checking your sound card settings. most windows versions have an option
turn off all sound enhancements. this will improve speech clarity. but this
will also remove a lot of base when playing music.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech
sounds
rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

----------
email: harshalgips@gmail.com
msn: harshalgips@hotmail.com
skype: shankar.a
mobile:+919945860671
thanks and regards
shankar

Shankar C

or, click on the del audio from the notification tray and turn off all
the sound settings.

--
----------"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no
point."
email: harshalgips@gmail.com
msn: harshalgips@hotmail.com
skype: shankar.a
mobile:+919945860671
thanks and regards
shankar
----------
email: harshalgips@gmail.com
msn: harshalgips@hotmail.com
skype: shankar.a
mobile:+919945860671
thanks and regards
shankar

Tom Behler

I turned off the spatial sound, and lost all Jaws speech.

Fortunately, when I shut down and re-booted, Jaws speech returned, albeit still distorted.

Tom Behler

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. It sounds as if you may be using digital output rather than analog output. Sometimes, depending upon which jacks you are using, you may lose sound when turning off spacial effects when using digital output.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

[...]

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Tom,

Have you tried going to device manager and uninstalling the sound card drivers, then turn off your computer and let Windows find the preferred drivers and load them automatically. HTH

[...]

before uninstalling the drivers, from the Communications Tab, select
the do nothing radio button, and from the audio page, reduce the
sampling rate and see if it works.