Topics

Question On Outlook Message Deletion

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

Occasionally, I will copy myself on an Outlook e-mail message, because the message is very important, and I want to be sure it has been sent.

Recently, I have noticed that if I delete the received message copy from my inbox, it is also deleted from my sent file.

Is there a way I can configure Outlook so that the message remains in my sent file, even though it has been deleted from my inbox?

I’m using the Office 365 version of Outlook 2016 with Windows 10 and the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Hi Tom,

I think what is happening here is that when you delete the message which you sent to yourself you are basically deleting the conversation and the conversation includes the message in your Sent Items folder.

Next time try to press the right arrow first to expand the conversation and then only delete the message you received and see if the sent message remains in the Sent Items folder.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2019 8:57 AM
To: jfw list <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: Question On Outlook Message Deletion

Hello, everyone.

Occasionally, I will copy myself on an Outlook e-mail message, because the message is very important, and I want to be sure it has been sent.

Recently, I have noticed that if I delete the received message copy from my inbox, it is also deleted from my sent file.

Is there a way I can configure Outlook so that the message remains in my sent file, even though it has been deleted from my inbox?

I’m using the Office 365 version of Outlook 2016 with Windows 10 and the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Sieghard:

I think you are correct here.

My question is when and how do I use the right arrow key to expand the conversation?

I haven’t been able to find this option, at least so far.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Monday, May 6, 2019 12:04 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question On Outlook Message Deletion

Hi Tom,

I think what is happening here is that when you delete the message which you sent to yourself you are basically deleting the conversation and the conversation includes the message in your Sent Items folder.

Next time try to press the right arrow first to expand the conversation and then only delete the message you received and see if the sent message remains in the Sent Items folder.

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Hi Tom,

As soon as you reply to a message it should be treated as a conversation and of course the same applies if the other person sends another reply or message. If I reply to a message and then right arrow I can then up arrow and even though I am in the Inbox I then see the message I sent which is located in the Sent Items folder.

Sent: Monday, May 6, 2019 6:54 AM

Sieghard:

My question is when and how do I use the right arrow key to expand the conversation?

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Sieghard:

This does not seem to work for me here.

I’m using Outlook 2016 in Office 365, Windows 10 version 1809, and the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Can you give me step-by-step directions for configuring Outlook to delete individual messages, rather than the entire conversation?

Once again, my problem is that when I delete my copy of a message I sent from the inbox, it gets deleted from my sent file as well.

Tom Behler

Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:10 PM

Hi Tom,

As soon as you reply to a message it should be treated as a conversation and of course the same applies if the other person sends another reply or message. If I reply to a message and then right arrow I can then up arrow and even though I am in the Inbox I then see the message I sent which is located in the Sent Items folder.

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Van Lant, Robin

I think this assumes Tom is using Conversation view.  I only use this view in some folders and definitely not in my inbox.   

Tom, you can check if this is your case by looking on the View ribbon.  Tab over to the checkbox that says Conversation view and see if it is checked or unchecked.

Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 10:34 AM

Sieghard:

I’m using Outlook 2016 in Office 365, Windows 10 version 1809, and the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Can you give me step-by-step directions for configuring Outlook to delete individual messages, rather than the entire conversation?

Once again, my problem is that when I delete my copy of a message I sent from the inbox, it gets deleted from my sent file as well.

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Bill White

Hi, Tom. Have you considered not having your messages grouped into conversations at all? This is the way I use Outlook, and I never have messages deleted unintentionally due to complete conversations being deleted.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:34 AM

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Van Lant, Robin

Tom,

I just tried this in my version of Outlook 2016 and did not get the same issue you did.  I sent myself a message from my work account to my home account and copied myself here at work.  I then deleted the carbon copied message in my inbox and still see the original message in my sent mail.  I cannot see anything in the Mail settings that lead me to understand  why this might be occurring for you.  I think this is a case where you might want to call Microsoft Accessibility, especially if you can do so with the Be My Eyes app or let someone remote into your computer to see what is happening. 

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Tom Behler

Robin:

I just checked, and “show as conversation view” is not checked.

So, now I’m thinking conversation view is not the problem, unless you can specify this by folder.

If so, I’m not sure how to do that.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:52 PM

I think this assumes Tom is using Conversation view.  I only use this view in some folders and definitely not in my inbox.   

Tom, you can check if this is your case by looking on the View ribbon.  Tab over to the checkbox that says Conversation view and see if it is checked or unchecked.

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Bill:

You’re right. …  I absolutely don’t want my messages in conversational view, and it seems that conversational view does not happen in my inbox.  In other words, I can delete individual messages from the inbox with no problem.

In fact, as I just replied, “show as conversations” is un-checked, which is the way I want things to be.

This is why I don’t understand why carbon copies of my messages in my inbox also get deleted from my sent file when I delete them from the inbox.

This has just started to happen relatively recently, so something in Outlook has changed.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:04 PM

Hi, Tom. Have you considered not having your messages grouped into conversations at all? This is the way I use Outlook, and I never have messages deleted unintentionally due to complete conversations being deleted.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Yes, I agree.

I may have to call MS Accessibility on this one if we can’t come up with a solution.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:05 PM

Tom,

I just tried this in my version of Outlook 2016 and did not get the same issue you did.  I sent myself a message from my work account to my home account and copied myself here at work.  I then deleted the carbon copied message in my inbox and still see the original message in my sent mail.  I cannot see anything in the Mail settings that lead me to understand  why this might be occurring for you.  I think this is a case where you might want to call Microsoft Accessibility, especially if you can do so with the Be My Eyes app or let someone remote into your computer to see what is happening. 

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Van Lant, Robin

Tom,

You can specify conversation mode by folder.  For example, I have all my JAWS list emails come into one folder which is set to conversation mode so that I can more quickly sift through topics I am interested in.   If I am in my inbox, the view ribbon shows conversation mode as unchecked.  If I am in my JAWS folder, the view ribbon shows conversation mode as checked.  Even in my JAWS folder, I do not get the same experience that Sieghard mentioned; if I send n email to the JAWS list, such as this one, I will see it come through on the list, but I do not see the copy that went into my sent mail.

I really do think you’ll have to have Microsoft look at what is going on if you continue to have this problem.  I’ve used Outlook for years and just not seen what you are experiencing.

Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:54 AM

Bill:

You’re right. …  I absolutely don’t want my messages in conversational view, and it seems that conversational view does not happen in my inbox.  In other words, I can delete individual messages from the inbox with no problem.

In fact, as I just replied, “show as conversations” is un-checked, which is the way I want things to be.

This is why I don’t understand why carbon copies of my messages in my inbox also get deleted from my sent file when I delete them from the inbox.

This has just started to happen relatively recently, so something in Outlook has changed.

Tom Behler

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Thanks, Robin.

I’ll continue to work on the issue and will likely end up calling Microsoft Accessibility Support.

Tom Behler

Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 2:52 PM

Tom,

You can specify conversation mode by folder.  For example, I have all my JAWS list emails come into one folder which is set to conversation mode so that I can more quickly sift through topics I am interested in.   If I am in my inbox, the view ribbon shows conversation mode as unchecked.  If I am in my JAWS folder, the view ribbon shows conversation mode as checked.  Even in my JAWS folder, I do not get the same experience that Sieghard mentioned; if I send n email to the JAWS list, such as this one, I will see it come through on the list, but I do not see the copy that went into my sent mail.

I really do think you’ll have to have Microsoft look at what is going on if you continue to have this problem.  I’ve used Outlook for years and just not seen what you are experiencing.

Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:54 AM

Bill:

Tom Behler

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Sieghard:

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Thomas N. Chan

Check if you got this option check or tick or not.

When replying to a message that is not in the Inbox, save the reply in the same folder

If you did, it will sort with the same conversation like in a normal gmail, if you delete it, it will be gone.

I am not using the latest outlook despite I am on office365 but you can give it a try.

Alternatively, you might be using gmail in imap mode, so you are just deleting the all mail side of things.

I would suggest, create a mail rules with any mails you cc a copy to yourself to have a copy to a specific folder.. that will allow you to have a copy always.

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

Sent: Monday, 6 May 2019 1:57 AM

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Thomas:

I checked the “save the reply in the same folder” option, and that did not help with my problem.

In other words, as soon as I deleted the message from my inbox, it was deleted from my sent file as well.

And, just to clarify, my Outlook is configured to use g-mail in imap mode.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas N. Chan
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:45 AM

When replying to a message that is not in the Inbox, save the reply in the same folder

If you did, it will sort with the same conversation like in a normal gmail, if you delete it, it will be gone.

I am not using the latest outlook despite I am on office365 but you can give it a try.

Alternatively, you might be using gmail in imap mode, so you are just deleting the all mail side of things.

I would suggest, create a mail rules with any mails you cc a copy to yourself to have a copy to a specific folder.. that will allow you to have a copy always.

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

david

Tom,

are you sure your checking the right sent items folder?

when I'm in my inbox,

if I bring up the go to folder command, and press the letter S=sent items, I see one folder, with zero items.

If I bring up the go to folder command,

and up or down arrow until I hear, gmail closed, I right arrow to open, now I can arrow to the sent mail, press enter to open, all my sent messages are their.

Hope this is helpful.

The impossible is the untried,  Never under estimate the power of a dream.

Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 7:11 AM

Thomas:

I checked the “save the reply in the same folder” option, and that did not help with my problem.

In other words, as soon as I deleted the message from my inbox, it was deleted from my sent file as well.

Tom Behler

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

David:

I know I need to go to the sent mail folder.  This is where all of my sent items are.

Once I get there, what do I do after that?

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of david
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 8:09 AM

Tom,

when I'm in my inbox,

if I bring up the go to folder command, and press the letter S=sent items, I see one folder, with zero items.

and up or down arrow until I hear, gmail closed, I right arrow to open, now I can arrow to the sent mail, press enter to open, all my sent messages are their.

Hope this is helpful.

Thomas:

Tom Behler

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

david

Tom I don't know what else to say,

I find my gmail folder, the status is closed,

I right arrow to open, arrow to sent mail, I hear a number, then press enter, and the messages are their.

Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 8:47 AM

David:

I know I need to go to the sent mail folder.  This is where all of my sent items are.

Tom Behler

Tom,

when I'm in my inbox,

Hope this is helpful.

Thomas:

Tom Behler

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

david

Tom,

I'm also assuming you have the following;

alt+f=file,

t=options,

m=mail,

now,use the tab key,

until you hear;

save a copy in sent items, should be checked,

so,

alt+f

t=options,

m=mail,

now alt+v, will take you to the checkbox,

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of david via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 8:55 AM

I right arrow to open, arrow to sent mail, I hear a number, then press enter, and the messages are their.

David:

Tom Behler

Tom,

when I'm in my inbox,

Hope this is helpful.

Thomas:

Tom Behler

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Yes, I hear you, David.

My problem is that if I delete a carbon copy of a sent message from my inbox, it also gets deleted  from my sent file as well.

This may be one for MS Accessibility.

Tom Behler

Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 8:55 AM

David:

Tom Behler

Tom,

when I'm in my inbox,

Hope this is helpful.

Thomas:

Tom Behler

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!