excel questions

stintonjoe@...

hi all

ok i have jaws 17 and windows 7 and think all is up-to-date
I am trying to  make a excel sheet, and what I need to do is first in  the row I need a average from cell b2 to cell l 2 , and again in cell b3 to l 3 now i need to do this in every  row.
next  i need a avridge in the collom from  b2 to b  100 then again in c 2 to c 100 and d 2 to d 100 and so on.
but the problem is I cant work out how to get a average formula in the cell I need.
well hope you can work out what im trying to get at and  you havnt just read this and thought darn  my head now  hurts lets go for a pint !!!

well if any one can help me with what I need to do I would be very greatfull thanks in advance Joe

Chris Chaffin

Now from what I read, you are wanting 3 averages; cells b2 to l2, cells b3 to l3, and cells b2 to b100.  And you want this for each row and column respectively.
You can use the average function to accomplish this:
=average(b2:l2)
=average(b3:l3)
=average(b2:b100)

If I misunderstood you, please let me know.

Chris

On Nov 18, 2016, at 4:27 AM, stintonjoe@... wrote:

hi all

ok i have jaws 17 and windows 7 and think all is up-to-date
I am trying to  make a excel sheet, and what I need to do is first in  the row I need a average from cell b2 to cell l 2 , and again in cell b3 to l 3 now i need to do this in every  row.
next  i need a avridge in the collom from  b2 to b  100 then again in c 2 to c 100 and d 2 to d 100 and so on.
but the problem is I cant work out how to get a average formula in the cell I need.
well hope you can work out what im trying to get at and  you havnt just read this and thought darn  my head now  hurts lets go for a pint !!!

well if any one can help me with what I need to do I would be very greatfull thanks in advance Joe

Ann Byrne

I you want to use the formulas dialog, press ALT+m, then f. Tab to the categories and choose all, then tab once more and find average. You can fill in range after range after range, tabbing from one to the next. Tabbing will *never get you to the okay button, because it just allows for another range. Pressing enter might do the okay, or shift+tab till you get back to okay.

At 03:27 AM 11/18/2016, you wrote:
hi all

ok i have jaws 17 and windows 7 and think all is up-to-date
I am trying to make a excel sheet, and what I need to do is first in the row I need a average from cell b2 to cell l 2 , and again in cell b3 to l 3 now i need to do this in every row.
next i need a avridge in the collom from b2 to b 100 then again in c 2 to c 100 and d 2 to d 100 and so on.
but the problem is I cant work out how to get a average formula in the cell I need.
well hope you can work out what im trying to get at and you havnt just read this and thought darn my head now hurts lets go for a pint !!!

well if any one can help me with what I need to do I would be very greatfull thanks in advance Joe

stintonjoe@...

ok I'm now trying to get excel to tell me the AVERAGE of cells B102 D102 F102 G102 H102 I102 J102 K102 L102 M102
the problem being at the moment not all the cells have a number in them and all it says is div 0,but as time goes on they will all have a number in them.
the formula i have tried is =AVERAGE(B102 D102 F102 G102 H102 I102 J102 K102 L102 M102) but with this fromaler as far as I can tell the advridge of these numbers all need a number in for it to show anything.
for example if b 102 and f 102 have numbers in I still get nothing in the average cell.

well I hope you can make some sort of sense out of my ramblings.

cheers Joe
cheers Joe
[...]

Dave...

Joe,

There may be another function for averaging that avoids any zero values.
Otherwise, create a formula that first finds all non-zero values, and then
adds them up and divide by the total count of non-zero values. That takes a
few functions, but workable. I recall doing something like this several
years ago. First try to find a built-in function that averages all non-zero
values.

Also, check the Excel help function to look for any web-sourced solutions to
your question.

Farfar Dave

[...]

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>

Remember that for a range of cells you can reflect all of them with a colon,
so you could do something like =average(D102:L102) and it's give you an
average for the entire range. This is helpful as there is a limit as to how
many operators you can put in a formula separated by commas.

[...]

Hello,
For your situation, you could try using the sum function combined with the count function.
Another words, you could get the sum of numbers in the range of cells, then use the count function to divide by the number of numbers you have.  This would hopefully get rid of your error.

In your example, try this formula:
I noticed that you did not include c102 in your formula, so I left it out.

=sum(b102, d102:m102)/counta(b102, d102:m102)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris

On Nov 18, 2016, at 3:40 PM, stintonjoe@... wrote:

[...]

Dale Alton <blinkydale@...>

That shouldn't matter. I tried it by putting in random numbers in column
a1:a10. I put the formula =average(a1:a10) in cell a11 and it came up with
an average. Not all cells had numbers in them. If you don't want the error
showing up you can try =ifError(average(a2:a101),""). The formula will show
a blanck cell if there is an error. As far as getting it to the other cells
I would just do a copy paste. I hope this helps.
Denver Dale

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

A straight range would also work, if there are any values in that range at all. That always worked for me when I was figuring grades.

Ted