Topics

more Jaws problems from my list...

Rick Mladek

Hi All,

To begin, I thank you all for helping Zel and me with the sluggishness of Jaws due to not disabling the graphics accelerator option. This did show a great amount of improvement but I still notice some sluggishness, but not as bad, in MS Xcell.

Now, let’s work on a couple more issues I have with Jaws.

First, I could be going down through a website one line at a time when Jaws begins to read some sort of java script. It just continues to read so many characters of all kinds. Including letters, numbers and symbols as punctuation marks etc. It is reading at a very high speed, as well and it is difficult to hear all characters read aloud.

There is no way to stop this and I either have to do a hard shut down since the pc now becomes frozen while Jaws goes crazy or I turn off my external synthesizer and jaws and then go through a process of turning all back on in a special sequence.

I use: Windows 10, Jaws 2019 latest update and a triple-talk USB external synthesizer. My pc has 8 GB of ram and has plenty of amount when I put a test on the system with many programs open and functioning simultaneously.

Is there a setting or a hopeful fix to prevent this from happening? This is very difficult when I am going over code received from colleagues and my pc goes senile on me.

Next, when I hit F7 to do a spell check, Jaws practically goes to sleep. I hit escape or tab over to the original outlook message and copy paste into a Microsoft Word document to do the spell/grammar check.

Any thoughts on this baffling issue?

I hope to hear of all your thoughts regarding these problems addressed.

Thanks to all,

Rick

John Covici

Does this speaking these strange characters happen with other
synthesizers or just the tripple talk? I have had some websites where
the tripple talk does not work, but other synths do work.

On Thu, 02 May 2019 06:42:41 -0400,
Rick Mladek wrote:

[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Rick Mladek

I am shy of software synthesizers as offered with Jaws. The triple talk,
being a peripheral, so to speak, is less strain on the system in regards to
resources. This is a triple talk issue and both sides blame the other...

Rick Mladek wrote:

[...]

No harm in trying Eloquence and see if you indeed experience the same problems. When dealing with stuff like that any solution is usually a process of trial and error or, if you prefer, of elimination.
I haven't used a hardware synthesizer probably since the days of Windows 95 or at least Windows 98. I am not saying it's wrong to use one, but most systems especially nowadays have more than enough computing power and RAM to handle a software synthesizer especially one like Eloquence, but even Vocalizer nowadays is super responsive.in

Rick Mladek wrote:

[...]

Chris Hill

Modern systems aren't going to be strained by a speech synthesizer, most cpu's are idling a lot of the time anyway.  I suspect the issue is that some webpages are putting out text strings that look similar to tripple talk commands.  Might be time to move to the more modern age.

Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

Move to the modern age? Ditch the Triple talk?

Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

Ann Byrne

Tripple Talk and Double Talk speech is sooooo much more pleasant than any other synthesizer.

Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

Marty Hutchings

Rick, I am using an internal synth and also experience JAWS reading seemingly endless strings of numbers, characters and letters when down arrowing through a web page. I can usually get JAWS to stop by hitting the Control Key, but sometimes, that does not even work. I was told just yesterday that these may be labeld graphics. I have changed the way JAWS reads graphics. I can't remember where I was able to do this as a friend walked me through it over the phone. I do remember that there were three options, All graphics, Labeld Graphics only, or No graphics. Maybe someone else on this list can help find this setting for you.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

It would help if you guys could provide some concrete examples, i.e. links to web pages where you experience this issue so others on the list can go there and see if it also happens for them.

Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

Hi Marty, I'll look through the settings and turn off these labled
graphics... Thanks for the tip...

Rick, I am using an internal synth and also experience JAWS reading
seemingly endless strings of numbers, characters and letters when down
arrowing through a web page. I can usually get JAWS to stop by hitting the
Control Key, but sometimes, that does not even work. I was told just
yesterday that these may be labeld graphics. I have changed the way JAWS
reads graphics. I can't remember where I was able to do this as a friend
walked me through it over the phone. I do remember that there were three
options, All graphics, Labeld Graphics only, or No graphics. Maybe someone
else on this list can help find this setting for you.

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers,
against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the
spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist
in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

Yes.  You can get used to a different synthesizer, if it fixes your problem . The vocalizer Tom voice is quite responsive on my 5-year-old core i5 system.

Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

Marty, Most likely the numbers are bing read as the person that created the
web site didn't use an alt label to tell a screen reader what the graphic
shows. Does it say link by that graphic? Which web site does happen on? Did
you get the email I sent you the other day about graphics/pictures on a web
site? This is related to my web development class.

Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

I can definitely see how people who are used to using Eloquence or something like DoubleTalk at fairly high rates will not like Tom, Samantha or other human sounding voices. I am the same way, I have been using Eloquence for over 20 years and the human sounding voices just don't sound good when you run them very fast. Then it's like one of these ads where some guy at the end reads a bunch of restrictions very fast and in a monotone sort of voice and it just sounds weird. I think Eloquence to me is simply the gold standard when it comes to synthetic voices, you can run it fast and I find it much clearer and easier to listen to then something like DoubleTalk or eSpeak. I should mention that I started using computers during a time when it was all hardware synthesizers, I never had DecTalk or DoubleTalk but started out in 1989 with Jaws and the "Accent" synthesizer.

Below is a demo I found of Accent, I hadn't heard that thing in decades, but it instantly sounded familiar:

Accent synthesizer speech demo

Regards,

Sieghard

Yes.  You can get used to a different synthesizer, if it fixes your problem . The vocalizer Tom voice is quite responsive on my 5-year-old core i5 system.

On 5/2/2019 08:23, Rick Mladek wrote:

> Move to the modern age? Ditch the Triple talk?

>>> Rick

>> --

>> Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:

>> How do

>> you spend it?

>>            John Covici wb2una

>>            covici@...

Chris Hill

Actually, I strongly believe it is what you get used to.  I didn't like vocalizer at first, but I run it all the time now ad I'm used to it.  The thing that really helps is that I run it on my phone as well, so it is the same everywhere.  I grew up on the Votrax, artic and Braille'n speak.  I never cared for eloquence, especially the version that comes with jaws since it sounds like the low quality telephone-bandwidth version.

On 5/2/2019 09:01, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

I can definitely see how people who are used to using Eloquence or something like DoubleTalk at fairly high rates will not like Tom, Samantha or other human sounding voices. I am the same way, I have been using Eloquence for over 20 years and the human sounding voices just don't sound good when you run them very fast. Then it's like one of these ads where some guy at the end reads a bunch of restrictions very fast and in a monotone sort of voice and it just sounds weird. I think Eloquence to me is simply the gold standard when it comes to synthetic voices, you can run it fast and I find it much clearer and easier to listen to then something like DoubleTalk or eSpeak. I should mention that I started using computers during a time when it was all hardware synthesizers, I never had DecTalk or DoubleTalk but started out in 1989 with Jaws and the "Accent" synthesizer.

Below is a demo I found of Accent, I hadn't heard that thing in decades, but it instantly sounded familiar:

Accent synthesizer speech demo

Regards,

Sieghard

Yes.  You can get used to a different synthesizer, if it fixes your problem . The vocalizer Tom voice is quite responsive on my 5-year-old core i5 system.

On 5/2/2019 08:23, Rick Mladek wrote:

> Move to the modern age? Ditch the Triple talk?

>>> Rick

>> --

>> Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:

>> How do

>> you spend it?

>>            John Covici wb2una

>>            covici@...

Rick Mladek

This is not an alt text problem. It is java script that Jaws is reading and
gettting stuck in/on for some reason...I took the advice and went into
default settings and turned off the graphics labeling... in time we'll see
if this helps...

Rick Mladek wrote:
[...]

Zel Iscel

Forgive my ignorance Rick, but why do you use an external Synthesiser when you've got Jaws which comes with internal synths like Eloquence?

[...]

Hi again Rick,
I just found your message below so no need to respond to my previous email.
Cheers
Zel

Rick Mladek wrote:

[...]

Triple talk is a peripheral that works much better than elequence, as I've learned through the years. Software syns are a true strain on a computers available resources causing many crashes and slow/sluggish operation of any program/application used. I don't wish to argue this but my experience for the past 20+ years with computers, electronic/medical device codes etc. the Triple-Talk syn has been my choice due to it's stability I have experienced/witnessed. That and no need for all these extra speakers lol... Yes, the Triple-Talk is a speaker but my enormous sound system set up with/in my office computer network if for television and music... having elequence also through this system would cause me issues without a doubt...

[...]

Cool! Thanks for the explanation. I'd love to hear Tripple Talk in action one day.