Outlook 2016 performance problems with jaws

Shan Noyes

I have been using outlook 2016 for the past month and a half. It worked fine once i discovered that in the folders i needed to turn off the preview and read panes. I could cursor up and down the list as long as these two features where turned off. Writing emails also was no problem.

However, starting a week ago my problems started. I have not done any changes to jaws still running the august build of 17.

Anyways, what is now happening is i can start writing an email and while writing that email suddenly speech slows down and eventually stops. Jaws can be reloaded with the windows key plus jaws key plus f4. Speech comes back, however, outlook says that it has stopped responding and needs to close. Reading emails and everything else works fine its just that i can not write an email message.

Its driving me nuts. And of course the sighted people are all blaming jaws. However, nothing has changed in jaws. However, i do know that the windows operating system has been patched several times during the week as well as outlook itself has been patched.

Any and all ideas as to what i can get the folks to look at like say missing patches etc would be greatly appreciated.

Am running outlook 2016 and office 2016, have business for skype 2016 known as link, windows 7 and of course jaws 17 august rev believe the number is 2619

Thanks and have a good evening everyone.

Shan Sent from my iPhone

I know on a couple of my computers Outlook was slower than molasses when composing an email and this pretty much all went away once I turned off all check as you go spell and grammar check features in File > Options. I can't promise this is your problem, but I'd take a look at this.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

Some have found that MS 2016 64 bit causes issues with Jaws, and the MS 32
bit does not. This could be your problem. In my office we use the 32 bit
with Jaws computers.

[...]

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Wow, finally someone is experiencing what I'm experiencing.

Mine occurs when composing and replying. The one thing that happens to me is it will split up words, for example, Hi jfw L Ist. I wrote hi jfw list with the l in caps, followed by a space and caps I and lower st.
I'm thinking about going back to 2013.I
Only got it cuzz it was free lol.

[...]

david

Hello there;
You may need to check the ad-ins which are running in outlook,
Or, you could try, 1, close outlook,
2, from the run command, type in:
Outlook /safe:3
This loads outlook with the ad-ins disabled.
See if this makes a difference.
Also, when you create new message, make sure the screen is maximized.
You can find the ad-ins in the file menu,
Options/ad-ins

[...]

Have you disabled the spell and grammar check as you type?

[...]

I'm hearing to disable the ad ins and disable the spelling and grammar.
Does this happen with other outlook versions. I never had that set up with previous versions, why this version?
I'll do it anyways, but just wondering.

[...]

Not sure about the disabling the spelling and grammar, however, I have found
that disabling ad-ins does work.
As I indicated, you may want to start outlook with the ad-ins disabled to
see if this is the issue.
To do this,
Type in the following in the run dialog box.
Outlook /safe:3

Now press enter.
See how your email client performs.

[...]

I've done the suggest from you and the other person, so let me see how it performs. I'll report back.

[...]

Cristóbal

Imap accounts can also mess with Jaws. I've got no problems with exchange
or pop3, but imap is slow and crashy. Office 2010 in my case.

[...]

Lauren Snyder

I also have multiple problems with Outlook 2016. Jaws takes a long time to
talk when I try to reply. Would removing the add-ins help for this as well?
Also, emails never come through while I have the program open. I always have
to close and reopen it to get new emails.

A rep at Freedom Scientific said it's a MS issue and the people at the
Disability Answer Desk at MS say there should be no conflicts. Thus, no one
has been helpful.

Best,
Lauren

[...]

Tom Behler

Unfortunately, my experience has pretty much mirrored what Lauren has shared
here regarding issues with Jaws and Outlook 2016.

There are many times when I'm wondering whether I should look for another
e-mail client, or not renew my Jaws SMA after Jaws 18, because e-mail is so
central to much of what I do.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

As I said, if you are using MS 64 bit it can cause issues with JAWS such as
sluggishness, freezing and other errors.

[...]

Hi Lauren,

I certainly don't have issues with emails coming in at all and I have Outlook 2016 installed on several desktops and laptops at my business. I did experience very sluggish behavious especially when composing an email, but this pretty much totally went away once I turned off all the real-time, type-as-you-go style spell and grammar checking.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

That I wouldn't know, I use Outlook.com via Exchange Active Sync personally and Office 365 with Exchange for my business emails.

[...]

I use Outlook.com via Exchange Active Sync as well.

Well so far no issues after disabling the ad ins. However, automatic correction being off drives me bonkers as I'm a terrible speller lol.

[...]

You can still press F7 when you are done writing a message and do a spell check.

[...]

Jason White

Tom Behler <tombehler@gmail.com> wrote:
Unfortunately, my experience has pretty much mirrored what Lauren has shared
here regarding issues with Jaws and Outlook 2016.

I'm having no such problems with Outlook 2016, JAWS 18, and a Windows 10 Pro
laptop with 16GB of memory. Whoever installed Microsoft Office chose the
32-bit version, even though it's a 64-bit CPU in the machine.

I've had very serious reliability problems with older versions of JAWS and
Microsoft Outlook, including JAWS 16 and early releases of 17.

Tom Behler

Jason:

I'm still using Windows 7 here with Jaws 17 and Outlook 2016.

However, I am using the 64-bit version of Office 365, which I installed
because this laptop is a 64-bit machine.

Perhaps that is part of my problem.

Maybe I need to go back to the 32-bit version of Office 365, but am in the
middle of a relocation right now, so won't be able to do this any time soon.

My Jaws SMA is also good through Jaws 18, so perhaps installing the new Jaws
version will help as well.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Unfortunately, my experience has pretty much mirrored what Lauren has
shared here regarding issues with Jaws and Outlook 2016.

I'm having no such problems with Outlook 2016, JAWS 18, and a Windows 10 Pro
laptop with 16GB of memory. Whoever installed Microsoft Office chose the
32-bit version, even though it's a 64-bit CPU in the machine.

I've had very serious reliability problems with older versions of JAWS and
Microsoft Outlook, including JAWS 16 and early releases of 17.

Hi Tom,

That most likely is your problem, Microsoft actually doesn't even recommend using the 64 Bit version of Office on a 64 Bit computer, the only time it is a good idea to use it is when you have huge spreadsheets and I mean huge as in maybe several Gigabytes huge. I would simply uninstall your Office if you use Office 365 and reinstall the 32 Bit version and I guess 95% of your problems will go away.

Regards,
Sieghard