Topics

JAWS Becomes Sluggish When Writing Emails in Outlook

Rahul Bajaj

Hi all,

I use JAWS 2018, Windows 10, Outlook 16. JAWS behaves very sluggishly
in Outlook when crafting messages. I have uninstalled and reinstalled
Outlook, and that has not fixed the issue. I currently write my emails
in Notepad and then copy-paste them which is inconvenient.

Can anyone think of other workarounds? I know that this problem does
not come up for most, but I would nonetheless like to know what you
would do in case you were facing this issue. Thank you so much.

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the BCL
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Dan Longmore

Hi,
This is a tough one. Are you using plain text or HTML to respond? I cannot think of any Outlook options that may cause this behavior when typing. Could it be a JAWS setting? Sorry, not much help I know.

Dan

I use JAWS 2018, Windows 10, Outlook 16. JAWS behaves very sluggishly in Outlook when crafting messages. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook, and that has not fixed the issue. I currently write my emails in Notepad and then copy-paste them which is inconvenient.

Can anyone think of other workarounds? I know that this problem does not come up for most, but I would nonetheless like to know what you would do in case you were facing this issue. Thank you so much.

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the BCL
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj

Dan, I think plain text, but I am not sure. Could that make a difference?
Also, my laptop emits some air from the vents on the side - more than usual - when it becomes sluggish like this.

On Apr 21, 2019, at 12:06 AM, Dan Longmore <danlongmore44@...> wrote:

[...]

Cristóbal

Is the hardware acceleration option unchecked?

I use JAWS 2018, Windows 10, Outlook 16. JAWS behaves very sluggishly in
Outlook when crafting messages. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook,
and that has not fixed the issue. I currently write my emails in Notepad and
then copy-paste them which is inconvenient.

Can anyone think of other workarounds? I know that this problem does not
come up for most, but I would nonetheless like to know what you would do in
case you were facing this issue. Thank you so much.

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the BCL
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Randy Barnett

Sounds like you are getting a heavy CPU load. If it is outlook or some other program is the question. press start then type msconcfg.exe now go to the services tab now tab until you hear hide all Microsoft services and check the box. now shift tab to the list of services and see what all is running. If you don't recognize it google it and see if you need it. If you see things like iTunes adobe google or things like that try unchecking them  then click OK. Next open task manager with the ctrl + shift + esc keys. ctrl + tab to the startup tab. now do the same thing as you did in services. Now after you disable all the junk that really doesn't need to load every time you start your computer it  should run much faster. Dont worry if anything you do stops a program from working you can just re-enable it the same way.
If you cant find the startup tab you may have to click the more details button to make it show up.

On 4/20/2019 2:55 PM, Rahul Bajaj wrote:
Hi all,

I use JAWS 2018, Windows 10, Outlook 16. JAWS behaves very sluggishly
in Outlook when crafting messages. I have uninstalled and reinstalled
Outlook, and that has not fixed the issue. I currently write my emails
in Notepad and then copy-paste them which is inconvenient.

Can anyone think of other workarounds? I know that this problem does
not come up for most, but I would nonetheless like to know what you
would do in case you were facing this issue. Thank you so much.

Best,
Rahul

You might want to try and turn off all the spell and grammar checking as you type in Outlook.

[...]

I was not able to figure out how to turn off the hardware accelerator
despite playing around with the settings for a fir bit of time.

Best,
Rahul

On 21/04/2019, Sieghard Weitzel <@Sieghard> wrote:
[...]

Bill White

Hi, Rahul.

1. Open Outlook Options.
2. Arrow down to Mail.
3. Press ENTER on the Editor Options button.
4. Once you press Editor options, there are three categories: Display, Proofing and Advanced. Arrow down to Advanced.
5. SHIFT plus TAB two times past the OK button, and make sure Disable Graphics Accelleration is checked.
6. TAB to the OK button, and press ENTER.
7. That's it. Now close Outlook options, and Graphics Accelleration is disabled.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

File, options advanced. You can either tab forever or shift tab a few times till you get to these options.
Disable hardware graphics acceleration check box checked
Play animated GIFs check box not checked
I as you can see, also have the JIF's disabled and in general, I have pretty much anything having to do with visual indicators or animations turned off wherever I find them.
I believe there's another place in Outlook options where you can access the hardware acceleration checkbox, but this is the one I know of off hand.
Cristóbal

[...]

Great, I think this may have just done the trick. I will keep you
posted. Thanks so much.

Best,
Rahul

On 21/04/2019, Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@...> wrote:
[...]

Let me know how this works as by doing so you are telling the system to not use the hardware GPU processors in your video card thus transferring the processing load to your CPU... Seems counter intuitive.
Well, after a google search it seems this works for lots of people using outlook, even without any AT programs. Seems like an Outlook bug.
Still interested to hear how it works for you.
Thunderbird is always an alternative to Outlook. I dont have any of the issues I am reading about all the time on the lists.

On 4/21/2019 9:52 AM, Bill White wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you got the issue fixed. No, plain text vs HTML should not
make a difference but was trying to eliminate the small stuff first. The
extra air indicates , as has been said, increased CPU load.

Dan

I use JAWS 2018, Windows 10, Outlook 16. JAWS behaves very sluggishly in
Outlook when crafting messages. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook,
and that has not fixed the issue. I currently write my emails in Notepad and
then copy-paste them which is inconvenient.

Can anyone think of other workarounds? I know that this problem does not
come up for most, but I would nonetheless like to know what you would do in
case you were facing this issue. Thank you so much.

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the BCL
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj

Hi All,

So I implemented your suggestion of disabling graphic acceleration,
and that has certainly improved things, but it still becomes sluggish
sometimes with JAWS. It does emit air when it does this. I have to
type out my mails elsewhere and then copy-paste them, which is a real
pain. I also have to keep going to desktop or elsewhere and then
coming up, for the short respite of being able to use Outlook
seamlessly.

Best,
Rahul

On 22/04/2019, Dan Longmore <danlongmore44@...> wrote:
[...]

Is there any reason you can’t use Thunderbird?

Randy Barnett owner of soundtique

On May 1, 2019, at 3:01 PM, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj1038@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick Mladek

Would you please repeat the steps to disable graphic acceleration?

Thank you,

Rick

Hi, Rick. Cristóbal wrote:

File, options advanced. You can either tab forever or shift tab a few times till you get to these options.
Disable hardware graphics acceleration check box checked
Play animated GIFs check box not checked
I as you can see, also have the JIF's disabled and in general, I have pretty much anything having to do with visual indicators or animations turned off
wherever I find them.
I believe there's another place in Outlook options where you can access the hardware acceleration checkbox, but this is the one I know of off hand.
Cristóbal

I hope this helps you, Rick.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Another thing that can be attempted is to disable Outlook add-ons. These can sometimes monkey around with Outlook.
Obviously you don't want to disable an add-on that you need, but you'd be surprised what gets enabled. Poke around and turn off what you don't need.

[...]

There was only 5 add-ins so I ignored them. I got the graphics accelerator box checked and the other unchecked. I'll let you know and thanks for your help.

Rick

[...]

Hi Rick is there a reason you have to use Outlook? Can you try Thunderbird instead. And see if these issues go away.

On May 1, 2019, at 5:20 PM, Rick Mladek <hmladek@...> wrote:

[...]

Thunderbird? I have no idea what that program is all about. Obviously an email program but with Outlook being the Corporate app of choice, I have used it since the onset of my blindness and the so-called coming to of TTS software.